Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GEPIK budget cut puts foreign English teachers� jobs at risk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The waygook has gone!!
The waygook has gone!!

All the Korean co-teachers were dancing in the staffroom and planning their free subsidised "english holidays" to the US.

NohopeSeriously wrote:
Die, GEPIK, Die!

Laughing lol.
HANGRY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does this mean for me? I just signed a contract for a GEPIK school in September....
rainism

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HANGRY wrote:
What does this mean for me? I just signed a contract for a GEPIK school in September....

that all depends on the followup question. do you have the school's countersignature on the contract?

if you do not, it's not a contract yet. They can theoretically back out, citing the obvious fact that unfortunately at the last moment, circumstances drastically changed so while they're very sorry, there is no "contract".

if you have a countersigned contract, then it's a contract (though I'm not exactly sure on when exactly it becomes "active and legal"... for e.g. if it's legally binding as of Sept.. it's not Sept yet)

they're going to have to come up with the money. I wouldn't be shocked if the provincial govt, or whomever it is that cut off all the funding, will be de facto forced to restore at least the part of it that will cover currently binding and existing contracts.

the POE can't act like a hagwon owner.
koreatimes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Even before all this, you could back out of a contract (as talked about in the previous post). I did this (mutually) with a GEPIK school after I got my visa renewed. The thing that made this easier I think was that I did this before the contract period started. So, immigration just ignored the GEPIK school and made a change of workplace to another school. In my case, I went to Incheon. The change involved just 20 minutes with the new school at immigration.

Try to contact the GEPIK school you are initially planning on working for and see if you can talk with the head English teacher. If you get along with him or her on the phone, that is a good sign. Next, establish a schedule and try to find out how serious they are about having you work. If you are in Korea, visit the school in person and get an idea. If not, explain you will be changing a lot for this job, just leaving another one back home or study. Hopefully, this kind of attitude will get them to be honest or keep them honest.

You can always talk with the recruiter also, if you are using one. If not, get some lined up.
falk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: How is this sudden or drastic? Reply with quote

We knew it was coming. I got hit by the reduction in March. Scrambled/lost some cash-time/but, I found a new job. This is a planned political decision to reduce foreign teachers - it will happen again next March. So plan accordingly.
I feel for those of you who get caught by this (been there), there are still jobs out there (probably not public.) Contact your coordinator and find another job. Sucks, but it is the reality of the situation.
And for the other anti gepik/smoe/korean posters - try to be productive. My experience from the coordinator side has been nothing but positive. Reductions hurt them too. If you took the time to talk to Renee, Grace, CJ, Ivy, Dain - you would probably be much better prepared. Lets just hope that politically they (the korean public) see the value in foreign teachers. We need to focus on quality foreign teachers to maximize their value to the system, because the numbers will drop. Parents/kids will end up paying for this, but not until after the elections/budgets are over.
Kaypea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainism wrote:
Kaypea wrote:
Ni hao. Got "unrenewed" today. It was a little surreal, since I was given the green light to start my third year this fall.

I'd probably be better off teaching adults who want to learn English, rather than middle schoolers who don't. I was starting to become a jaded Mario Bomb Game jockey. So... maybe it's time to find a Wall Street English somewhere.

out of curiosity. Was this after the contracts were signed? I'm guessing not, since you said it'd be this fall. I'm sure they were properly apologetic and sincere. Was out of their hands if they can't get funding. But feel good about the fact they did want you to stay.

I agree with you about teaching adults or college kids. My esl gig outside of Korea was teaching college kids and adults, with some a small number of teens mixed in. It paid crap, but I think I accomplished a lot more there than here in Korea.

(problem is a feeling of "accomplishment" doesn't pay any bills, not even a bar tab)

I haven't signed the new contract yet. (I guess I never will, now). I don't blame the school at all, or the GEPIK coordinators. I have no reason to believe they were anything but sincere.

I did contact my coordinator when the lay-off rumours were starting, and she honestly didn't what was going on, but that we'd all definitely be able to finish our contracts (true). Then, I was just asking my school every now and then about my job status, and was getting a lot of "I don't knows" until a few weeks ago, when I got a "definitely, yes, you can stay on", then they told me yesterday that I can't renew.

Yes... I really, really want to go to some more laid back country and teach business english for peanuts, but I have student debt, past and present, to take care or.
Ramen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are just too many ft's these days. when there are too many apples to pick, naturally, there are too many bad apples. it's a good time to get rid of bad apples. now back to the 00's where foreign apples were very rare.

way to go gepik!
let's go epik! you're next. Razz

my assistants informed me that epik storm is coming very very soon.
HollyLove

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of two people who re-newed with contracts signed, leaving for their two week recontract trip home, who have now been told they can't stay another year and the school can't/won't pay for the already bought round trip ticket.

rainism wrote:
Kaypea wrote:
Ni hao. Got "unrenewed" today. It was a little surreal, since I was given the green light to start my third year this fall.

I'd probably be better off teaching adults who want to learn English, rather than middle schoolers who don't. I was starting to become a jaded Mario Bomb Game jockey. So... maybe it's time to find a Wall Street English somewhere.

out of curiosity. Was this after the contracts were signed? I'm guessing not, since you said it'd be this fall. I'm sure they were properly apologetic and sincere. Was out of their hands if they can't get funding. But feel good about the fact they did want you to stay.

I agree with you about teaching adults or college kids. My esl gig outside of Korea was teaching college kids and adults, with some a small number of teens mixed in. It paid crap, but I think I accomplished a lot more there than here in Korea.

(problem is a feeling of "accomplishment" doesn't pay any bills, not even a bar tab)
Ramen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HollyLove wrote:
I know of two people who re-newed with contracts signed, leaving for their two week recontract trip home, who have now been told they can't stay another year and the school can't/won't pay for the already bought round trip ticket.

rainism wrote:
Kaypea wrote:

i guess y'all better count your beans and stay put.
FDNY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like 3.2M for 4.5 hours/day is looking pretty good now, eh? Hahahahahahahaha.
bcjinseoul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramen wrote:
there are just too many ft's these days. when there are too many apples to pick, naturally, there are too many bad apples. it's a good time to get rid of bad apples. now back to the 00's where foreign apples were very rare.

way to go gepik!
let's go epik! you're next. Razz

my assistants informed me that epik storm is coming very very soon.

The Epik Storm...sounds like some '80's hair metal band, on tour with Poison and Motley Crue. Very Happy
Juregen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainism wrote:
shostahoosier wrote:

All of those teachers that dont want to go home will have to go somewhere.

prediction: = next year's hogwan salaries will drop to 2.0 with absolutely zero benefits to speak of. (unless economy picks up drastically back home which isn't going to happen)
You mean 1.8M Smile
PigeonFart

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear about this news. It will make things even more difficult in an already saturated market.
koreatimes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the public school system is the best we have for overall performance. Students spend so much time living between home and school, they don't need a third place (the hagwon in this case) to deal with as a standard. Hagwons should be considered more for developing skills beyond a given standard.

If people are deciding to switch to a hagwon based system instead of public schooling, then they are going to have to dish out the money to afford it. Eventually, that money will run out and they will be left with children who are not being taught. The cycle will continue. They will come together and focus more on public schools. Then a few will compete to get an edge and hagwons will be thought of as great places.

Think about it this way, Johnny spends all day studying and is top of his class. Bob is ok, but his scores are nothing to brag about, just above average and he doesn't work harder. They go to a hagwon, and Bob continues his ways while good old Johnny continues his ways as well. One person has "wasted" their money while the other enhanced their education and increased the chances of getting into a better university.

The hagwon says nothing about the Bobs at the hagwon, but they tell other parents about Johnny and how well Johnny does by going to their hagwon. In fact, it's a lie. In the beginning Johnny was doing the work before he went to the hagwon, but parents have a false impression that both Johnny and Bob are the same and Johnny could not have succeeded if it weren't for the hagwon.

Boo hoo, who needs public schools then? That's actually what is going on here in China too. Koreans are studying Chinese and math, as well as English to get into Beijing University.
jrwhite82

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FDNY wrote:
Looks like 3.2M for 4.5 hours/day is looking pretty good now, eh? Hahahahahahahaha.

Now that is funny. Your job offer still sucks though. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 2 of 21

Jump to: