Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seoul Animal Shelter???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gajackson1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Seoul Animal Shelter??? Reply with quote

Hi, I am in need of assistance here . . .

I am in need of a GOOD animal shelter in Seoul. I would prefer an adoption-type place. NOT someplace that a dog would end up being whacked or sold to a 'dog farm' to become gae-go-gi or bo-shin-tang. Shocked

It is a longer story, but I do not have time to write it out just now. Anyone have an idea or suggestion???

Regards,

Glen
~~~~~~~~

OK, the story (in case anyone needs a reason to help).

I work out at the same gym pretty much every day. I like going early, so I can get in and get out before business picks up.

In december, a dog showed up at the gym entrance. Cute thing, a very small mixed breed. Not a puppy, but not an adult. Pretty friendly, and with a collar (but no tags).

Within about a week, many of us were used to her being there. She was a little friendly/inquisitive, but skittish, too. I figured she just belonged to someone at the gym, who left her outside while going inside, and picked her up on the way home. Rolling Eyes

Within another week, the weather took a nasty, snowy turn for the worse. One day, a box showed up at the outside of the gym, and I realized she must be a stray. The restaurant in the gym was providing her food and water, but then someone removed the box. For 3 days, I would show up in the morning, and see her curled up in a ball in the snow.

I could tell, from the weather and her lethargy, she probably wouldn't make it another night. Sooooooooo . . . I took her in. Confused At first, she was very humble, and still shy. Housebroken, even if alone for 8 hours! Very Happy Got her fed & cleaned up.

Talked w/ ReedTea, & we decided to put up a sign (neither of us really wanted to keep a dog for a long term, for the reasons discussed by others in other threads), but no one claimed her. Sad

Over the winter break, I went to Texas, but RT took care of her. Then, she comes back to my apt. She gets sick, and get her de-wormed. RT & I took a weekend away (boarded here), and she gets really sick - I was afraid it was distemper, so we had tests done (expensive!), but she turned out ok.

So, it seemed like we have a dog, right??? We are both 'dog people,' so while unplanned, it was ok. :/

But now that she is healthy, her personality has asserted itself . . . Shocked While someone is with her, she is fine. But left alone for any amount of time . . . Evil or Very Mad

She is not a crier, like most dogs left alone. She is a DESTROYER. Started with my cell phone; has progressed to my ADSL line, clothing, my new satin sheets, etc. Garbage has to be locked in the bathroom; it is not safe in the kitchen. We tried putting her on the balcony, and she started chewing up big chunks of the linoleum (sp?).

As cute and personable as she is with us and people, the pros don't outweigh the cons. (Also, she is a longer-haired, HUGE shedder. My cleaning bills for comforters, carpets, etc. have skyrocketed, and it's aggravating RT's allergies, as well as just generally making the place a lot harder to clean).

After 2 months now of trying to discipline/change her, we are giving up. Crying or Very sad We aren't formally offering her up on this board, just because of the problems mentioned. We think she would be good for a family, where she had pretty constant attention (and she is VERY active/playful), or on a farm setting, where she had room to run, but would still be treated well. I didn't save her just so that someone else would neglect or abuse her!!! Mad

So . . . if ANYONE knows of a good solution here (again, we are looking for a good shelter), please reply here, pm or e-m me.

Thanks. Sorry for tying up the space; as soon as we get it resolved, I'll delete the post.

Regards,

Glen

Last edited by gajackson1 on Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
denz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: yesh well Reply with quote

girl of denz said try here:

http://www.foranimal.or.kr/main_total.htm
or
http://koreananimals.or.kr/
(english site is here:
http://www.koreananimals.org/shelter.htm)

denz
gajackson1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx, Boyo ~ like with you, we are basically good people in a difficult spot. Things will work themselves out just fine. Too much dharma stored up! Wink

Peace,

G.
Dazed and Confused

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the chewing problem try mixing pepper powder and water and rubbing it on the cables of the computer, tv, and anything else you don't want destroyed. Also provide her with some rawhide chews. These will keep her busy and give a good outlet for her chewing desires. All young dogs are prone to chewing. However, my parents have a lab that 12 years old and he still goes after anything he can get ahold of.

Try Zyzzfer (sp?) he/she is looking for an animal.

Have you considered KAPS? they are in Taegu.

Also put a word in with your local vet. They might know someone looking for a dog. Or post on the site of one of the Dog Cafes. All in Korean though Sad .
gajackson1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D&C ~

Thanx for the advice.

I have done the peppre routine (tobasco), but it is not practical for things such as bedding, clothes, walls, etc.

We keep her in a goodly supply of rawhide (which she enjoys), but when left alone, it is like she is taking frustration out (leave ME alone?!?!?!? Why, give me that comforter!)

KAPS is here in Seoul; that place is a nobly sinking ship. I wanted to grab 5-6 dogs and take them OUT of there (you can see pics at their site in the link D gave me).

She is cute to us, but being a 'sheit-dog,' most people don't want one like her. And I worry about dumping her on someone unsuspecting, and what they would do to her.

Dog Cafe??? Errr - I am guessing/hoping you mean a website, and not a restaurant! Shocked

Thanx & regards,

Glen
Dazed and Confused

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an actual Cafe where pet owners can take thier dogs with them. They have dogs of that belong to the cafe inside that roam around and beg food and attention Very Happy . There's one in Seoul and one outside of Seoul. Sorry I don't remember the name.
Certianly I would not recommend a restaurant serving dogs for consumption. Shocked
good luck in finding this girl a home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: