Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chanel bags in Korea: 5.7 million won
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Chanel bags in Korea: 5.7 million won Reply with quote

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2011/08/123_91977.html

Quote:
The sales at Chanel grew by 55 percent in the first half of this year from the previous one

I don't understand why people are willing to pay so much for a purse. I bought a Lexus (in the U.S.) for half of that. True, I bought it used, but it looked fairly new, so people thought I was rich. More, importantly though, a car is functional. I used it to go to places like school and work.

Anyways, there are a lot of better ways I could think of to spend 5K. Thoughts?

(And why are the Chanel bags so expensive in Korea? Supply and demand or what? Aren't they a bit cheaper in the States?)

Quote:
�Chanel is mean. They know that people will buy no matter how much they raise the price. I wish that consumers could collude not to buy Chanel purses,� said Paula Hong, a 35-year-old accountant in Seoul. Her dream of consumers uniting against the luxury brand is unlikely to come true. Especially since she also caved in and bought a Chanel bag at a duty free shop last year.
Gorf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same reason they buy it anywhere: image. If they were smart they'd go to Namdaemun and buy a Chinese knockoff for 20,000. I'd rather date a girl who was vapid enough to buy a luxury purse but still money-conscious enough to save thousands of dollars on something as stupid as a purse than a girl who bought the real thing.
Carbon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorf wrote:
The same reason they buy it anywhere: image. If they were smart they'd go to Namdaemun and buy a Chinese knockoff for 20,000. I'd rather date a girl who was vapid enough to buy a luxury purse but still money-conscious enough to save thousands of dollars on something as stupid as a purse than a girl who bought the real thing.

Did you read some time ago (in the K. Times and I think it was a post on the Marmot) about the guy who bought his wife a purse from Hyundai department store? Turns out that the purse was a knock-off, as indicated by the brand-name, gold embossing being misspelled. I love it. Too bad it also extends to things that I do purchase, such as food. The fake trade goes way beyond clothes and accessories. If you recall the Chinese-made baby formula or the Chinese coffee-whitener being chock full of melamine? Bastards. I could care less about handbags and clothes; people with more money than brains getting what they deserve, but when they start playing with food and medicines, they should be shot. Watch "The Fake Trade"....both depressing and enlightening. Fake eggs man...they make fake eggs.
tatertot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I especially like the quote by Paula Hong at the end of the article. She says "Chanel is mean" because they are increasing the price of the bags and that consumers should get together and boycott Chanel because they are raising prices. But, the ONLY reason that the majority of Koreans buy Chanel bags is BECAUSE THEY ARE EXPENSIVE. If they weren't expensive, they wouldn't be a status item, and people wouldn't want to buy them. Logical disconnect in the brain, or...?
isisaredead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if these people are stupid enough to waste such ridiculous amounts of money on such retarded things, then let them.

it's just another thing that will contribute to me being unable to look back favourably on this country when i leave.
Carbon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisaredead wrote:
if these people are stupid enough to waste such ridiculous amounts of money on such retarded things, then let them.

it's just another thing that will contribute to me being unable to look back favourably on this country when i leave.

And go home where people are stupid enough to waste such ridiculous amounts of money on such retarded things. Doesn't matter where you go, you cannot hide from consumerism and those with more money than brains. This behavior is far from a Korean exclusive, so don't try to make it so.
Triban

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but in Korea they kind of see the next level, laugh hysterically at it, and go five steps beyond. They worship brand names here more than Japan used to.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This behavior is far from a Korean exclusive, so don't try to make it so.

I don't know. Every weekend in Seoul there is a queue in Lotte Department store outside the Louis Vitton handbag shop. I've never seen that in my country, unless there's a sale on.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbon wrote:

Well, not exclusive, but some people come to Korea to escape the materialism of the West... and they are in for a big surprise!

Koreans Most Materialistic People in the World
http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/02/24/2010022400421.html
isisaredead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbon wrote:
isisaredead wrote:

And go home where people are stupid enough to waste such ridiculous amounts of money on such retarded things. Doesn't matter where you go, you cannot hide from consumerism and those with more money than brains. This behavior is far from a Korean exclusive, so don't try to make it so.

if you honestly think that korean consumerism and fetish-like devotion to image is on par with the rest of the world, then you're insane.
isisaredead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Carbon wrote:

Well, not exclusive, but some people come to Korea to escape the materialism of the West... and they are in for a big surprise!

Koreans Most Materialistic People in the World
http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/02/24/2010022400421.html

i think that link was a shocking revelation to absolutely no one. but i appreciate you putting it here. Smile
highstreet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

I don't know. Every weekend in Seoul there is a queue in Lotte Department store outside the Louis Vitton handbag shop. I've never seen that in my country, unless there's a sale on.

Most of the people in line are tourists. Usually Japanese trying to get products cheaper.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sale: only 5.7 million!

*People from Japan come*

@@
Koreadays

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

channel must love koreans! LOL
cj1976

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Koreans buy these expensive bags, they just prove that money really does not buy class. When I go to Europe, I notice the women buy a bag to compliment the rest of their outfit and they look very elegant. When I see a Korean girl with a LV or Gucci bag, and she's wearing "PINK" sweats and a baseball cap, I just think "Farmers in Suits".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: