Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Bundang Line/ Suin Line
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nathanrutledge

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: New Bundang Line/ Suin Line Reply with quote

Any idea when this is going to be open? Found a website that says it's supposed to "revenue start in 2010," while an unattributed Wikipedia entry says "revenue start September 2011." I emailed Korail and haven't heard back.

So, anyone know when it's going to start running and have a reliable source?

Secondly, anyone know when the rebuilt Suin line (end of the Bundang Line to Suwon Station) is going to be opening? I had heard a 2011 start date at one point, then a 2014 date. So, any knowledge on this one?
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its always pushed back.. but now they are saying September 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seoul_Metropolitan_Subway
sojusucks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Everline? It still reads "The line will open in July 2010."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverLine_Rapid_Transit_System
nathanrutledge

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I mentioned the UNATTRIBUTED wikipedia entry. I found a newspaper article from 2005 that said it was supposed to be open in 2010. The article talked about the new line 9 as well and how it was supposed to be open in 2009 (which it did). I've seen a couple different articles from a couple different sources, but they all cite different dates.

So I guess a more pertinent question would be, whoever lives near these lines, have you seen any signs of finishing off the top of the stations?
sojusucks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathanrutledge wrote:
That's why I mentioned the UNATTRIBUTED wikipedia entry. I found a newspaper article from 2005 that said it was supposed to be open in 2010. The article talked about the new line 9 as well and how it was supposed to be open in 2009 (which it did). I've seen a couple different articles from a couple different sources, but they all cite different dates.

So I guess a more pertinent question would be, whoever lives near these lines, have you seen any signs of finishing off the top of the stations?

Agreed. Someone must have seen something out there.

Ask a question about a bar opening in a back alley on a third floor and you'll get 700 responses. Ask a question about a subway opening and no one has a clue. I remember there were posters on here who must have had old subway maps because some still insist there's no way to reach the airport by AREX. Others were shocked that the #9 line was open and wanted to argue about it. Get an updated subway map, people. Watch for subway openings in your area, if there's one coming up. Then feel free to share the information with others. It can only help.
sallymonster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Suwon, and the Bundang line extension is literally being built right in front of my apartment. Trust me, it's not going to be done for quite awhile. Sad
njamesd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live near 정자 station and the construction crews appear to be pretty much finished down here. They are taking down all of the equipment and have started on the landscaping around the station. However Gangnam seems to be in a constant state of construction.
sojusucks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding. Sorry I seemed to get angry in my last post, but some posters are "know-it-alls" when it comes to anything to do with bars or booze but then, other important things like new subway stations, are beyond their grasp. When the AREX opened, a few posters tried to claim that it simply wasn't there because it wasn't on their 5 year old subway map.

Anywho, let's stay on top of this. Any of these proposed subway lines would be a great timesaver for many people, including expats in Korea. Since so many of the proposed lines seem to involve Gyeonggi-do, we're talking about a positive impact on the lives of millions of people. That's worth following. Good topic for a thread, OP.
laguna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the new express line in Uijeongbu called?
That thing seems like it will never open.
nathanrutledge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojusucks - I completely understand where you're coming from; that's why i specifically pointed out I was looking for some confirmed sources. Too many armchair quarterbacks out here...

Anyway, here is what I've found and am bringing to the party:

A Joongand Ilbo article about a tunnel under the Han for the Sin Bundang Line. I thought that the extension north from Gangnam was still under discussion??? This photo is from 2009, and they started drilling it back in 2005! Perhaps this is the extension of the original Bundang line to Wangsimni?
http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2908481

Here is the wikipedia article that has NO attribution, saying a September 2011 start. If you look at the old versions of the page, you can see that there has never been a citation on the start date, which has changed a couple of times.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sin_Bundang_Line

Here is a website, UrbainRail.net which has info on subways around the world. It says that the New Bundang Line should be starting in January 2010. It doesn't have direct citations, but it does have links to the official government pages.
http://www.urbanrail.net/as/seou/seoul.htm

This link is from Thales, the company that is providing equipment for the project. It has a start date of 2011.
http://www.thalesgroup.com/Press_Releases/PT_PT_5_Metro_Coreia/

Anyway, I have found some other links but again, none of them are current (the original newspaper article from 2005 says 2010 start date) and with the exception of the Thales press release, all of the articles that are out there are stolen/reprinted versions of what is on the UrbanRail site.

Anyone have a better link? Let's see it!
jc1257

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have an new information on the opening of the Shin Bundang line? I noticed that they have signage up for it at Gangnam Station and it appears to be all but open in Jeongja, but I still can't seem to find anything other than the aforementioned, and still unverified date on Wikipedia. Thanks.
nick70100

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this in the news today.

http://www.fnnews.com/view?ra=Sent0501m_View&corp=fnnews&arcid=0922386721&cDateYear=2011&cDateMonth=08&cDateDay=09

It says the first section from Kangnam to Jeongja will open will open in September, no exact date though. The rest of the article is about increasing housing prices in the area because of the anticipated opening.
eamo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick70100 wrote:
I saw this in the news today.

http://www.fnnews.com/view?ra=Sent0501m_View&corp=fnnews&arcid=0922386721&cDateYear=2011&cDateMonth=08&cDateDay=09

It says the first section from Kangnam to Jeongja will open will open in September, no exact date though. The rest of the article is about increasing housing prices in the area because of the anticipated opening.

Tell me about it. It's one of the reasons why my landlord and all the other owners in Pangyo are raising the Jeonsae levels to crazy money. I've heard it will be only 13 minutes from Pangyo Station to Gangnam Station.........People who have made a packet on their property in Gangnam will want to sell up and relocate to newer and nicer pastures like Pangyo.
sojusucks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Bundang_Line

BTW, look at that phase 3- Yongsan to Gangnam and all 7 stations are transfer stations. That'll be a monster with heavy volume.
nathanrutledge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sojusucks wrote:
Good news.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Bundang_Line

BTW, look at that phase 3- Yongsan to Gangnam and all 7 stations are transfer stations. That'll be a monster with heavy volume.

There is nothing new on this wikipedia page.

AND, to be honest, I think that the photo of the tunnels under the Han river is wrong. I think that those tunnels are for the OLD Bundang Line extension up to Wangsimni. The article said it took 39 months to drill the tunnels, and it's from 2009 - so they started the actual drilling in early 2006, which means they made the plans well before then. BUT, they hadn't made the decision to continue the New Bundang Line to Yongsan by then. Couple that with the total lack of construction site near the river near Sinsa OR on the other side near Hannam Station (where the line would presumably be coming out).

I'm going to say that the newspaper caption is wrong, and that photo is for the OLD line extension.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: