Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Seoul' = Worst weather of almost any country?!? edited :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_curious wrote:
Last year was worse than this year, I think. But I never actually met a Korean summer I liked. Winter FTW.

Worse temperature and humidity -wise? If so I agree. Although some complained here about the lack of sunny weather last summer. Well compared to this summer, it was Hawaii a year ago. Seriously, I could count the clear, sunny days on one hand in the last month.
This upcoming long weekend will be also screwed by the rain... Great.
ajuma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazio wrote:
the_curious wrote:
Last year was worse than this year, I think. But I never actually met a Korean summer I liked. Winter FTW.

Worse temperature and humidity -wise? If so I agree. Although some complained here about the lack of sunny weather last summer. Well compared to this summer, it was Hawaii a year ago. Seriously, I could count the clear, sunny days on one hand in the last month.
This upcoming long weekend will be also screwed by the rain... Great.

Worse humidity wise? For sure this year is worse. Worse temperature wise? No way! Last year we ran the AC so much that the landlord asked us if there was a mistake in our bill because it was so high! We haven't even turned it on this year!
highstreet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summers in the South US are pretty bad. Gets hot from Feb.-Oct. with more humidity than here
rainism

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
Summers in the South US are pretty bad. Gets hot from Feb.-Oct. with more humidity than here

the major difference is that those places in the US tend to be well air conditioned. In Korea, the AC often suck, if it exists, and then they tend to run it sparsely to "conserve energy" as the govt wants them to do (that was with oil above 100, what are they saying now with oil at 80?)

what will their new inflation excuse be now? ah yes.. rain Smile

the upper floors of any typical Stalinist Korean cement building with flat roofs turn into de facto heat and humidity ovens.
flakfizer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
I feel like the good weather (sunny days in the summer, clear skies in the fall) has been on the decline over the past few years. No real evidence to back this up, just an observation.

Ditto. It sure seems that way to me too. My first several years here in the 90's, I remember thinking how nice and long the Fall seemed. The leaves didn't seem to be as brightly colored as back home, but they seemed to stay on the trees longer. The summers were less rainy/cloudy (I have lots of photos that confirm this). The Winters have all been about the same. I will say that this Spring didn't get as hot as soon as other Springs. I can remember past Springs where I was asking the school to turn on the AC in late April. But overall, the weather that past couple years does seem worse (especially this year). And yeah, the yellow dust thing (I don't even remember such a thing in the 90's) keeps getting worse.
mugshotz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone in Korea who originally came from Chicago (or in the upper mid-west) compare the weather in Korea to that in Chicago? Many reputable sources say the climate in Korea is similar to that of Chicago with a couple exceptions:

1. The extremes in Korea are milder than Chicago (i.e. hot temps in summer and cold temps in winter).

2. Korea does not get as much snow as Chicago.

Are these statements accurate? Any other input into this topic is appreciated!
flakfizer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mugshotz wrote:
Can anyone in Korea who originally came from Chicago (or in the upper mid-west) compare the weather in Korea to that in Chicago? Many reputable sources say the climate in Korea is similar to that of Chicago with a couple exceptions:

1. The extremes in Korea are milder than Chicago (i.e. hot temps in summer and cold temps in winter).

I'm from Michigan (lived in K-zoo for quite a while, so, not too far from Chicago) and I agree with two-thirds of that (at least concerning Seoul, not sure about other areas of Korea). Back home we get way more snow. The winter extremes back home are definitely colder than here too. However, the summer extremes here are worse, not in their extremity, but in their frequency. I find that there are many more brutally hot, humid days here than back home.
mugshotz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flakfizer wrote:
mugshotz wrote:

I'm from Michigan (lived in K-zoo for quite a while, so, not too far from Chicago) and I agree with two-thirds of that (at least concerning Seoul, not sure about other areas of Korea). Back home we get way more snow. The winter extremes back home are definitely colder than here too. However, the summer extremes here are worse, not in their extremity, but in their frequency. I find that there are many more brutally hot, humid days here than back home.

Seoul is where I hope to end up so this definately helps! I can tolerate heat and humidity more than sub-0 (farenheit) temps and wind chills.
DaHu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try spending a month in Bangkok and you'll be happy with Korea's heat and humidity
rainism

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mugshotz wrote:

absolutely yes. Winter is infinitely milder, and with rare exceptions the snowfall isn't even in remotely the same ballpark. You also don't get Chicago's cutting winter wind which makes things more miserable. You don't get the extreme temperature changes typical of Chicago, where it can go from 70 to 40 within a day and back. Spring will start earlier in Korea and winter later. Novembers are already usually miserable in Chicago. Ive remembered mild temps into the mid 50's extending well into mid November here.

Korean summer in my opinion is more miserable, because the humidity is simply unrelenting and Korea isn't as well AC'ed. Live on the top floors of a Korea cement building where the heat is soaked in constantly and you'll see what I mean. Chicago may get hotter and even more humid, but temps/humidity will eventually moderate, in Korea you're screwed for 2 months plus.

of course, the best solution for Korean winters and summer is to get the hell out of Korea.
mugshotz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainism wrote:
mugshotz wrote:

absolutely yes. Winter is infinitely milder, and with rare exceptions the snowfall isn't even in remotely the same ballpark. You also don't get Chicago's cutting winter wind which makes things more miserable. You don't get the extreme temperature changes typical of Chicago, where it can go from 70 to 40 within a day and back. Spring will start earlier in Korea and winter later. Novembers are already usually miserable in Chicago. Ive remembered mild temps into the mid 50's extending well into mid November here.

Korean summer in my opinion is more miserable, because the humidity is simply unrelenting and Korea isn't as well AC'ed. Live on the top floors of a Korea cement building where the heat is soaked in constantly and you'll see what I mean. Chicago may get hotter and even more humid, but temps/humidity will eventually moderate, in Korea you're screwed for 2 months plus.

of course, the best solution for Korean winters and summer is to get the hell out of Korea.

Very informative...thanks! In regards to the summers, is the sun as strong as back here in Chicago? I ask because I am fair-skinned and burn easily. Between May-September, I typically apply sunscreen if I will be outdoors for more than an hour (or less if the sun is particularly intense). I'm wondering if the UV factor is similar or if a lot of the summer is overcast in Korea?
rainism

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mugshotz wrote:
rainism wrote:
mugshotz wrote:

Very informative...thanks! In regards to the summers, is the sun as strong as back here in Chicago? I ask because I am fair-skinned and burn easily. Between May-September, I typically apply sunscreen if I will be outdoors for more than an hour (or less if the sun is particularly intense). I'm wondering if the UV factor is similar or if a lot of the summer is overcast in Korea?

when it's not hazy, the Korean sun can be just as strong as the sun in Chicago. Of course in my case, I don't burn super easily, welcome it and enjoy the tan, as as well as freaking out the Koreans when I lay out topless in the park and they're covered up like Bedouins under any shade possible.
mugshotz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainism wrote:
mugshotz wrote:
rainism wrote:
mugshotz wrote:

when it's not hazy, the Korean sun can be just as strong as the sun in Chicago. Of course in my case, I don't burn super easily, welcome it and enjoy the tan, as as well as freaking out the Koreans when I lay out topless in the park and they're covered up like Bedouins under any shade possible.

LOL!!! Unfortunately I can't tan. Aside from my freckles, I'm either pale white or red! Sad
UknowsI

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I certainly don't like the Korean summer, I still find parts of Northern Europe worse.

>100 days of rain in a year
>100 days of frost in a year
No sun in the winter
Strong wind

Summer was great, and the winter was not bad (cold weather is not a big problem if you put on real clothes), but icy, rainy and windy fall days are not pleasant.
northway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mugshotz wrote:

The sun is pretty strong here but it's also awfully cloudy for a lot of the summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: