Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chanel bags in Korea: 5.7 million won
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Dave's...on one thread you'll have Koreans are so "image conscious"...then the next thread there are insults at the physical appearance of foreign NET women or what Korean guys wear or how stupid non-black people in hip hop clothing look or giant backpacks and board shorts.

Please.

Our life in Korea for good and bad, is both because of, and in spite of, Koreans and how they are. Hey, that pretty girl that you hooked up with? She loves her LV/Chanel. And when you found out she was insane and wanted you to spend 5,000,000 on a purse, well that came from the same impulse that made her pretty herself up. Take the good with the bad.
Unposter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Articles like this prove only one things to me: there is a lot of (too much?) money in Korea and I for one am quite happy about that!
eamo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
This behavior is far from a Korean exclusive, so don't try to make it so.

I don't know. Every weekend in Seoul there is a queue in Lotte Department store outside the Louis Vitton handbag shop. I've never seen that in my country, unless there's a sale on.

Right. The only time I've ever seen a line outside a store that didn't have a sale on was Louis Vitton in Korea.

Korean (women) are literally lining up to pay 1.5 mill for handbags.
ThingsComeAround

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfft.

Chanel isn't the only one cashing in on this.

@ SR

I don't agree that spending 5 thou on a bag is equivalent to a girl 'prettying up'. A girl can be pretty without spending an insane amount on a bag. We are talking about intelligence and stupidity. To me its the same as a dude spending 5 K on a gaming computer which will be outdated in 4 months.

Quote:
�Chanel is mean. They know that people will buy no matter how much they raise the price. I wish that consumers could collude not to buy Chanel purses,� said Paula Hong, a 35-year-old accountant in Seoul. Her dream of consumers uniting against the luxury brand is unlikely to come true. Especially since she also caved in and bought a Chanel bag at a duty free shop last year.

Stooooopid. Laughing
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought was the same as many of you: Wow! That's way too much to spend on a purse, and look at how many people are crazy enough to buy them!

But you know what? I want a Tag Heuer watch. How is that any different? Cheap watches tell the time as well, and sometimes even better than, expensive watches. Does that put me in the same category as the "materialistic yuppies" who want a Chanel bag? If it does, so be it!
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you could say watches are like jewellery for men, so is it weird if a girl wants a diamond necklace? Is it the actual diamonds she wants to appreciate the beauty of or is it the admiring glances, from people who can see they are real diamonds, she craves for?

I've always thought there was no point in getting a really expensive watch unless you have the rest of the stuff to go with it: designer suit, handmade shoes, expensive looking haircut etc. Then you can feel pretty sure people will assume the watch is genuine so you're getting extra stuff (male envy, girls' attention etc...along with the watch) . If you don't have the rest of the stuff, people will just think it's a fake. Of course you can't tell people it's not a fake as that makes you look an idiot so you're just left with the watch itself to look at and admire. As you said it doesn't actually do anything better than a normal watch. So you have a really expensive clunky heavy thing on your wrist that doesn't do anything special and doesn't have any positive affect on the way other people see you. A bit like a LV handbag in fact, though at least you can put stuff in that.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with buying a 2 million won purse, if that's what the person wants to spend their won on? Is it really any different than 2-5 million won per year on:
cigarettes
beer
vacation
junk food
motorcycle
electronics
etc. ?
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's wrong with buying a 2 million won purse, if that's what the person wants to spend their won on? Is it really any different than 2-5 million won per year on:
cigarettes
beer
vacation
junk food
motorcycle
electronics
etc. ?

I don't think anyone's saying that buying a 2 million won handbag is wrong in a bad or immoral way. I think some of us see it as a version of the emperor's new clothes. The emperor wasn't necessarily a bad person, just a bit silly, gullible and vain. The fashion industry, IMO, has become much more effective than the two guys who pretended to create the outift in the story, as they have convinced so many more people that their designer products really are worth that much more money. You have to admire them a little bit for that. As for the rest of the stuff you mentioned, you're right, there are no doubt cautionary tales about spending too much money on them as well.
Triban

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electronics vacation and motorcycle all enhance your quality of life. I cannot see how a Chanel purse would have the same effect, unless you are completely shallow.
cj1976

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a Korean princess type who wouldn't put out to her bf until he bought her a Louis Vitton bag. Amazingly, he duly obliged (even though she was nothing special at all).
Maybe a lot of these designer bags in Korea you see are products of similar negotiations.
cj1976

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my wife is mental for wanting to spend $2,000 on bag, but she thinks I'm equally stupid because I want to buy a decent electric guitar for around the same price.
isisaredead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
I know a Korean princess type who wouldn't put out to her bf until he bought her a Louis Vitton bag. Amazingly, he duly obliged (even though she was nothing special at all).
Maybe a lot of these designer bags in Korea you see are products of similar negotiations.

socially-accepted prostitution. KOREA: SPARKLING.
ThingsComeAround

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisaredead wrote:

socially-accepted prostitution

This.
crsandus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one people may overlook is that fact that some of the Korean women are buying the bags as an investment. Some Korean females research certain bags well and buy a specific knowing it will rise in value. There was an article in the Chosun Ilbo about how Chanel (or some other bag company) was raising prices because they could. They wanted to make it more "exclusive". The article also linked to another article of Korean females buying a bag, and then selling the same bag 6 months later to a specialty shop for a small profit.

While I'm sure that most females are buying bags as an investment, we should remember that it's an important status symbol for many females that sometimes rises in value.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triban wrote:
Electronics vacation and motorcycle all enhance your quality of life. I cannot see how a Chanel purse would have the same effect, unless you are completely shallow.

A 5 million won vacation makes me happy.

A 5 million won purse makes her happy.

No difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: