Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chanel bags in Korea: 5.7 million won
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madoka

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisaredead wrote:
cj1976 wrote:
I know a Korean princess type who wouldn't put out to her bf until he bought her a Louis Vitton bag. Amazingly, he duly obliged (even though she was nothing special at all).
Maybe a lot of these designer bags in Korea you see are products of similar negotiations.

socially-accepted prostitution. KOREA: SPARKLING.

You know, somewhere around kindergarten to third grade the vast majority of kids learn that one person's actions doesn't speak for everybody else. It seems quite a few of Dave's posters never learned that lesson.
madoka

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triban wrote:
Electronics vacation and motorcycle all enhance your quality of life. I cannot see how a Chanel purse would have the same effect, unless you are completely shallow.

I have a friend with a very high-end PC setup. Triple Crossfire video cards feeding two 27" monitors with a 30" in the middle. When guys see it, they drool with envy and think it's the coolest thing ever. When girls see it, they wonder why he would ever spend $5,000 on rapidly depreciating hardware which will be obsolete within the year.

At least women could point out that their high-end frivolous purses will not depreciate like high-end frivolous video cards. Very Happy
cj1976

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
isisaredead wrote:
cj1976 wrote:
I know a Korean princess type who wouldn't put out to her bf until he bought her a Louis Vitton bag. Amazingly, he duly obliged (even though she was nothing special at all).
Maybe a lot of these designer bags in Korea you see are products of similar negotiations.

socially-accepted prostitution. KOREA: SPARKLING.

You know, somewhere around kindergarten to third grade the vast majority of kids learn that one person's actions doesn't speak for everybody else. It seems quite a few of Dave's posters never learned that lesson.

Calm down, dear. Nobody said anything about ALL Koreans. However, prostitution is a bit of a harsh term.
madoka

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
Nobody said anything about ALL Koreans.

I know many people here have problems with reading comprehension, so I'll ask you to read isisaredead's comment again.
cj1976

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
cj1976 wrote:
Nobody said anything about ALL Koreans.

I know many people here have problems with reading comprehension, so I'll ask you to read isisaredead's comment again.

Ah, I interpreted that as a play on the Korea Sparkling campaign, rather than a sweeping statement of Korea as a whole, but I can see your point. Using the term 'prostitution' seemed a bit strong to me though. I think a lot of Korean women are quite honest about the way they correlate a man's appeal to his bank account, which is pretty damn shallow IMO. But I would say that, because I don't have the money to fund these shallow (but hot) chicks. Which I totally would do.
Triban

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:
Triban wrote:
Electronics vacation and motorcycle all enhance your quality of life. I cannot see how a Chanel purse would have the same effect, unless you are completely shallow.

A 5 million won vacation makes me happy.

A 5 million won purse makes her happy.

No difference.

A 5 million won vacation gives you glorious memories.

If you ever say something along the lines of "Oh yeah, and remember when I was at the coffee shop with my Chanel purse..."

then you deserve to be put down.
Fox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:
Triban wrote:

No difference.

There is a difference. Vacations, electronics, junk food, etc; these things are enjoyable in their own right. Even if everyone else has a Playstation, that doesn't diminish the fun I have when I play mine (in fact, due to online multiplayer, it might actually increase enjoyment). Even if everyone else in my home State has been to Noah's Ark Waterpark, my family and I still have a great time when we go. Even if everyone in America likes junk food, when I eat a jelly belly, I enjoy it.

If, on the other hand, every woman in the world had a genuine "Chanel" pursue, they would immediately lose all desirability beyond the basic utility any bag possesses. They aren't desirable because they provide enjoyment in their own right. The "enjoyment" they provide derives directly from them being denied to others. This is a genuine, qualitative difference.
madoka

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:

If, on the other hand, every woman in the world had a genuine "Chanel" pursue, they would immediately lose all desirability beyond the basic utility any bag possesses. They aren't desirable because they provide enjoyment in their own right. The "enjoyment" they provide derives directly from them being denied to others. This is a genuine, qualitative difference.

No, you are looking at it one-dimensionally when there are various reasons why people enjoy things. I have my share of luxury goods. I don't really care if others have the same luxury goods. I like a well-made product for what it is, a well-made product. I like the feel and look of certain materials. I like knowing that it is well made and built to last.
Triban

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
Fox wrote:

No, you are looking at it one-dimensionally when there are various reasons why people enjoy things. I have my share of luxury goods. I don't really care if others have the same luxury goods. I like a well-made product for what it is, a well-made product. I like the feel and look of certain materials. I like knowing that it is well made and built to last.

Then given the choice, you would pick a Toyota over a Ferrari because it is dependable and built to last i.e. well-made.

You cannot argue people only want Chanel purses as a status symbol when they could buy an equally nice purse for $50, minus the CC logo.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

With some products you're paying for the components and the workmanship and man hours that went into building them but as Triban pointed out, you could produce a well made, built to last handbag for a fraction of the price Chanel and LV charge. In this respect you're mostly paying for the design and label in the same way as people pay over the odds for modern art. However, as we all know this stuff is mass produced and there are heaps of identical copies out there with very little to tell them apart. Basically gullible people are being ripped off but as someone else pointed out, if it makes them happy, who cares?
Fox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
Fox wrote:

No, you are looking at it one-dimensionally when there are various reasons why people enjoy things.

No, I am not. In fact, if you actually read what I wrote, you would see that I am actively arguing that there are not only different reasons one might enjoy something, but qualitatively different forms of enjoyment. Calling that one-dimensional is wrong to a confusing degree. The post I was rebutting put forward a one-dimensional-vision of enjoyment, not mine own.

madoka wrote:
I have my share of luxury goods. I don't really care if others have the same luxury goods. I like a well-made product for what it is, a well-made product.

Last I checked, this thread wasn't about you and whatever purchases you may or may not have made. It was about women paying thousands of dollars for hand bags. That cannot be explained away by the quality of the craftsmanship, because the utility provided by a bag is simply too low. A bag can only be so "well crafted." It's a bag.

If you think your luxury purchases provide you with sufficient value that, even if everyone else had one, you'd still have been happy to buy the same item at the same price, then stop being insecure and instead simply recognize I'm not referring to your behavior.

madoka wrote:
I like knowing that it is well made and built to last.

Given these women regularly replace the bags in question -- something the article itself makes clear -- it obviously isn't a matter of that.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triban wrote:
tophatcat wrote:
Triban wrote:

No difference.

If you ever say something along the lines of "Oh yeah, and remember when I was at the coffee shop with my Chanel purse..."

If the purse brings the person as much happiness as the vacation, the purse is as equally valuable as the vacation to that person. The world doesn't revolve around you and your happiness barometer.
Triban

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:
Triban wrote:
tophatcat wrote:
Triban wrote:

No difference.

If the purse brings the person as much happiness as the vacation, the purse is as equally valuable as the vacation to that person. The world doesn't revolve around you and your happiness barometer.

Yes. It does.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
I think my wife is mental for wanting to spend $2,000 on bag, but she thinks I'm equally stupid because I want to buy a decent electric guitar for around the same price.

So what happened? Did your wife buy the $2,000 purse? Did you buy the $2,000 guitar? Don't tell me she got the purse, but you didn't get the guitar?!@@

Wives Control the Money in Most Households
http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2011/06/06/2011060600320.html
@.@
Quote:
Women hold the purse strings in the majority of households, a joint survey by the Chosun Ilbo and public opinion researcher Focus Company shows.
DorkothyParker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gucci Gucci, Louis Louis, Fendi Fendi, Prada
Basic bitches wear that shit so I don't even bother
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: