Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US FBI Background check blemishes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delia218

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: US FBI Background check blemishes Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone has has a FBI check come back with any blemishes, like an underage drinking citation or arrest that didn't result in any kind of conviction.

I worked in Korea for 2 years with a clean state background check, but this year, I know I need the FBI check. I think some things from 8 - 10 years ago are going to pop up, and I wonder how seriously the Korean schools will take it.

If anyone has any concrete info, I'd love to know how your schools reacted to the issues.

Thanks!
mtm216

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you are fine, underage drinking is a misdemeanor..

Unless you faced a judge, you are fine
ironclad80

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they can reject your visa for any reason they want. hopefully the previous poster is right for your sake.
mtm216

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine got two underages when he was 19 and 20 and also distribution to a minor... all were misdemeanors... granted 4 years passed, but unless you face a judge, you are fine.
marsavalanche

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: US FBI Background check blemishes Reply with quote

delia218 wrote:
Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone has has a FBI check come back with any blemishes, like an underage drinking citation or arrest that didn't result in any kind of conviction.

I worked in Korea for 2 years with a clean state background check, but this year, I know I need the FBI check. I think some things from 8 - 10 years ago are going to pop up, and I wonder how seriously the Korean schools will take it.

If anyone has any concrete info, I'd love to know how your schools reacted to the issues.

Thanks!

when you get it back ANYTHING other than "no record found" will be rejected by korean immigration.
Adventurer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: US FBI Background check blemishes Reply with quote

marsavalanche wrote:
delia218 wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks!

when you get it back ANYTHING other than "no record found" will be rejected by korean immigration.

I will probably be able to tell you in 10 days or less. I'm going to find out. Korean Immigration accepted my old DWI in 2008 and saw it. My recruiter convinced the official to accept it and explained what happened.
However, these immigration officials do not speak English. I do not speak Korean. I attached an explanation to my background check and used a translator and explained I had a visa before with the same misdemeanor. Korea could tell me forget it or okay. I understand some people have been accepted with misdemeanors in the past, and I am one of them. It's the roll of the dice. Unless Korean immigration has every official on the same page, now, to say no to every drinking offense.
They could if they want to.....
delia218

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adventurer, please tell me what happens when you find out. good luck, hope it works out!
Gorf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't those be expunged (if they show up) after 7 years anyways? I thought that was the statute of limitations on misdemeanors and they go away automatically after that period.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The statute of limitations is for prosecution of an offense--if the statute of limitations has passed, then you can not be prosecuted. That has nothing to do with the arrest record.
jvessio01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be getting my cbc back next week but found out today that a bench warrant from 2002 for a poss. under 20grams of cannibus could be labeled as a misdemeanor on my cbc. Does anybody know if that would show, with the length of time that has passed and that it was a ticket to appear.
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delia218 wrote:
adventurer, please tell me what happens when you find out. good luck, hope it works out!

Yes, it's possible, but it depends on your luck. I explained my old misdemeanor, drinking related arrest in Korean and English. I typed something up. I pasted a translation in Korean of what I wrote in English. I also sent a photocopy along with my apostille of my old ARC (card). I did get approved 2 years ago; I did again. I would say there's a 50/50 chance. I would also say my employer is important enough. I am not sure if that played a role. Again, I do regret the actions that led to my alcohol related misdemeanor and will ask if the governor can grant me a pardon when I get back. I learned my lesson.
rachelsnyder129

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: US FBI Background check blemishes Reply with quote

I have a petty theft misdemeanor from 2004, that was only recently sealed (not expunged). I have spoke to several recruiters, one of which called me to have me explain what happened ( I took something from a store and had t pay them back, restitution, community service, etc.) and he said, oh that shouldn't be a problem - like it was no big deal. Most of the other recruiters I have talked to though, seem to think it is just fine as long as it doesn't show up on my record anymore. Hope this helps someone? And if anyone has more experience on the topic, please share! Thanks
Kennyftw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: US FBI Background check blemishes Reply with quote

rachelsnyder129 wrote:
I have a petty theft misdemeanor from 2004, that was only recently sealed (not expunged). I have spoke to several recruiters, one of which called me to have me explain what happened ( I took something from a store and had t pay them back, restitution, community service, etc.) and he said, oh that shouldn't be a problem - like it was no big deal. Most of the other recruiters I have talked to though, seem to think it is just fine as long as it doesn't show up on my record anymore. Hope this helps someone? And if anyone has more experience on the topic, please share! Thanks

Wow, you sound like a gem of a teacher! Can you teach my kids some day?
Kennyftw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvessio01 wrote:
I will be getting my cbc back next week but found out today that a bench warrant from 2002 for a poss. under 20grams of cannibus could be labeled as a misdemeanor on my cbc. Does anybody know if that would show, with the length of time that has passed and that it was a ticket to appear.

Stay home and smoke your pot.
DaHu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP knows what she did, and isn't copping to it. You know she'll be rejected if she won't even admit it on a forum.

It's more serious than under-age drinking. It's "like" under-age drinking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: