Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keepongoing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Looks Reply with quote

They to

Last edited by Keepongoing on Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Looks like I am being fired Reply with quote

MASH4077 wrote:

Once my E2 expires can I return to Korea for work? Can the school cause me any future problems? These investors may have some clout?

So my visa expires at 9 months because my passport was only good for 9 months when I arrive her. If the school wanted to keep me they would have to give me a new contract in order to renew the visa.

let me say that I feel for you situation. First off your VISA has not expired because your passport expired. I know from firsthand experience. My visa 3 years ago last 5 months past my passport expiration. I had to have my old expired passport and new one, when I went on vacation and came back.

I would advise you to make sure you get that letter of release. without it you are S.O.L.

Teaching style, hmm...you probably are not a bad teacher, if the director is truely as much of an a$$ as you make him out to be. If you really want to improve your teaching, I suggest reading some books on pedegogy and/or taking a RSA CELTA course. Finally try observation of other successful teachers that you know.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second KK's suggestion re: CELTA & observation of other teachers (especially the latter -I'm all for scamming ideas off of others whenever possible). I'd also suggest you needn't feel too bad - the problem's your school.

Maybe those 17 teachers left for a reason.

Also to echo KK's advice: get the release letter. Then get thyself to the immigration office and get out of the contract. It should be easy as pie to find another job, especially as you're here and not in N America.

One thing - is there a clause in your contract that says your school can fire you at will whenever they want? I'd never agree to such a clause - too many stories of people getting the boot at the 11th month to avoid being paid severance.

Good luck. You got shafted and it doesn't sound like you did anything to deserve it. Could have been anyone.
Keepongoing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

I am a good teacher and that is why I went into teaching to begin with. I love teaching!! I have taught in other areas in my life over long periods of time and I have always loved it and have always had many tell me that I had a gift of teaching. I have taught all over Asia. I went to California State University and got an MA TESOL and was told by my peers, professors and teachers that I did student teaching for that I was an excellent teacher; a natural. I have been told time and time again by students that they liked my teacher, even that I was their best teacher. One mature student told me, "I don't think you realize what a good teacher you are." Lsast night I went to the singing room and again these students told me the same thing I have heard time and time again by past students. That was that I am a kind and gentle teacher.

Part of what is going on here is that 46 classroom hours is toooooooo much. It is insane, we are exhausted. Even the regular 40 is too much.

About the CELTA, are you suggesting the it is pedagogy based? As you can guess, the MA was mostly theory. If the CELTA is all pedagogy I may well consider it!

Anyway thanks for the encouragement!!!!

This school is losing a good and loyal teacher today!

I will go lay on a tropical beach for a few weeks and contemplate my future.

Please tell me more about CELTA. Where in Asia is the best one. Not Hong Kong, that one is tooooo expensive! Maybe Malaysia Smile
weatherman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really sorry to hear about this, and I am sure you will find a new job. Here are my two cents.

There are a lot of personal politics going on when teaching in Korea. There could a number of factors in your dismissal. I know from experience that if one student complains, your supervisor believes the whole class is a failure. What isn't mentioned is that the other students are enjoying your class and learning. These students never go running to your supervisor saying this. The truth usually comes out in the ending evaluation, but the director can make it seem like the sky is falling because one student complained. If this student is the oldest in the class, younger students might agree with him too, for no other reason that they can't make their own opinions, or don't want to go against the older dude or lady.

I have also found that Korean students have a very limited view of what education is or can be. Most language learners in Korea are not prepared to do the work or participate effectively in class to improve. Hence, and this is the crux, is that how and what you teach isn't always going to be what would seem like a solidly planed out lesson. There is a great deal of socialization in the classroom. The students want to know you as a person before they even care about you as a teacher. Teaching is mostly second in Korea. This makes how you come across very important. Looks do matter in Korea, but if you don't have the looks, being gentle and kind goes a long way too. That said after personalizing your self to your students, then you ought to teach, and the students can tell if you have your act together or not. As the Kimchiman and the Lemon said observe and talk to other teachers. This is how I learnt about teaching in Korea (and with the help of some good books too.)

Koreans generally like style over substance, but to be really successful in Korea you have to have some combination of both, not necessarily equal, but both being there.
Keepongoing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Was told Reply with quote

WEll

Last edited by Keepongoing on Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MASH4077 wrote:

Quote:
I was just informed that the students stated that I was moody?? Well if this is so any suggestions on how to overcome the ailment?

- Drink more / drink less

- Start hitting kids to calm your nerves

- Leave Korea

- Drugs

- Sex

- Rock & Roll (not really, just added it 'cause it seemed like the logic next line)
Hagwon Muppet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Was told that students said I was moody? Reply with quote

MASH4077 wrote:
I was just informed that the students stated that I was moody?? Well if this is so any suggestions on how to overcome the ailment?

Erm...either don't teach in hagwons or only teach whilst completely drunk.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Looks like I am being fired Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
[let me say that I feel for you situation. First off your VISA has not expired because your passport expired. I know from firsthand experience. My visa 3 years ago last 5 months past my passport expiration. I had to have my old expired passport and new one, when I went on vacation and came back.

I .

How can you keep your old expired passport when you have a new one? Are you not required to hand it (the old one) in? When I went for passport renewal I wasn't given back the old one. I am interested in this because my visa will last for one month past the expiry date of my current passport.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the corner was cut off the cover and a big expired stamp was put over my picture.

I'm Canadian, it may be different for other nationalities.
Derrek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Was told that students said I was moody? Reply with quote

MASH4077 wrote:
WEll now I have been informed that they will give me another chance but no more complaints from students! I wont be fired but will be under heavy scrutiny

Hahhahaha.. Yeah, right. You can read that as, "We can't find an immediate replacement, so we're not going to dump you until we do."

I don't know what you can do, other than wait it out and see, but I'd expect to be let go before your contract is over. Complaints or not. It's getting too close to the point where they would pay you a bonus. This is what they are trying to avoid. Just be prepared and don't be suprised.

Based on what I've read about your situation, the school sux. When you're free and clear of the school, be sure to let everyone know so they can avoid it.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd expect to be let go before your contract is over. Complaints or not. It's getting too close to the point where they would pay you a bonus. This is what they are trying to avoid.

Exactly. And I wouldn't be surprised if complaints get invented.
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks, MASH.

I'd suggest looking for a job elsewhere (Japan, for example) and then when you land something, beat your hagwon to the punch and leave without notice.

Normally, I'd suggest giving them notice, but since it's obvious they're screwing with you, I dont think they deserve that.

Just make sure your ticket out leaves on a saturday
Keepongoing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

Leav.

Last edited by Keepongoing on Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:
Quote:
I'd expect to be let go before your contract is over. Complaints or not. It's getting too close to the point where they would pay you a bonus. This is what they are trying to avoid.

Exactly. And I wouldn't be surprised if complaints get invented.

This does happen.

A friend of mine who is a friend of a hogwon owner said it used to be commonplace to do this in order to save money, but in recent years schools are starting to realize that when they pull this crap, their name is splattered all over the Internet.

Tell your boss that if they break your contract, there will be serious consequences.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: