Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mosquitos
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TECO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Mosquitos Reply with quote

how are they in korea?

I kill them by the dozens each night here in Taipei.
just because

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They haven't appeared yet. Just the odd one here and there.

Basically when the rains come in June the plant all their eggs and when it stops 2 or 3 weeks after, its ���(Mosquito) fever. For about 4 months until the cold kills them it can be annoying.
Zed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen the swarms of mosquitos here that I'm familiar with back home but there are large parts of Korea that I would be unfamiliar with in mosquito season.

Do you use a net at night TECO?
desultude

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
just because

Basically when the rains come in June the plant all their eggs and when it stops 2 or 3 weeks after, its ���(Mosquito) fever. For about 4 months until the cold kills them it can be annoying

Four months? I had at least one mosquito buzzing around my apartment well into December, I thought they would never go away! I saw my first one this year at least a month ago- that makes it less than four months without them!

But they are nothing here like they are in Alaska! I swear, in Alaska the mosquitoes are so big, a pair of them could carry you off!
Zed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultude wrote:
Quote:
just because

Basically when the rains come in June the plant all their eggs and when it stops 2 or 3 weeks after, its ���(Mosquito) fever. For about 4 months until the cold kills them it can be annoying

Four months? I had at least one mosquito buzzing around my apartment well into December, I thought they would never go away! I saw my first one this year at least a month ago- that makes it less than four months without them!

But they are nothing here like they are in Alaska! I swear, in Alaska the mosquitoes are so big, a pair of them could carry you off!
Were they very common in Alaska? I don't remember seeing very many in BC.
desultude

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember one fishing trip with my in-laws, to Wonder Lake, in Danali Park (Mt. McKinley). We were trying to set up the fishing gear, when we realized that the mosquitoes were just too much. We all huddled in the tent, and gazed out through the haze of mosquitoes trying to drill their way through the veil of netting on the door. There, on the bank of the Lake, my father-in law, refusing to relent, kept simultaneously dragging out the fishing-line and shooing mosquitoes until he was completely enveloped in both the line and the mosquitoes- he was spewing curses never before heard from his lily-white lips. My red-faced mother-in-law furiously attempted to keep my children from hearing his words, and the rest of us almost brought down the tent with our laughter. It is an image permanently etched in my mind. It always makes me smile.

Look at the name on the following article- I actually know this guy, and it is his name.

Quote:
How Mosquitoes Overwinter in Alaska
Article #818

by Skeeter Werner

This article is provided as a public service by the Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks, in cooperation with the UAF research community. Skeeter Werner is a Research Entomologist at the Institute of Northern Forestry, USDA Forest Service, Fairbanks.

One of the more blood-chilling sights of spring in Alaska: the reappearance of the mosquito. First come the big, slow-moving snow mosquitoes, which overwinter as adults, followed by the smaller but more active swarms shown here.

We will shortly witness hordes of mosquitoes emerging from overwintering sites throughout Alaska. Different species of mosquitoes will become active at various times throughout the summer depending on where and in what particular life stage they spent the winter. Mosquito activity following spring break-up is also regulated by the temperature of the water in which the eggs have been deposited. A warm April and May with average precipitation followed by a warm dry month of June is ideal for mosquito development.

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF8/818.html

Quote:
Here's an excerpt from my travel journal where I wrote about the mosquitos: "We hiked about 250 meters into the swamp and started our first ten minute point count. As soon as we stopped moving, I felt my skin begin to crawl. I glanced down at my watch to note the starting time and saw that mosquitoes were so thick between my jacket sleeve and my glove that the mosquitos were drilling my wrist through the holes in my watch band. I slapped the mosquitos on my wrist and then the one that landed on my nose. Looking up, I saw that the mosquitos were thick clouds around our heads. They buzzed in our ears, flew down our shirt collars and up our sleeves. Occasionally, they even tried to go up my nose. Dan and I were so busy slapping bugs that from a distance, I'm sure we looked like we are acting out some kind of obsessive compulsive disorder."
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The skeeters are EVERYWHERE...

...around me, on this island. The result of the rainy 21 Celsius weekend and the ample vegetation.

I have two stings on my left temple and they itch like the bugger!

I shooed one away just moments ago here in the PC Room.

The season has clearly begun around here. Maybe not yet up in colder, urban parts of Korea.
wylde

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tell all my students that 'moggy' is an english word that the australians brough over here during the war..

they always swear blind that it is korean but i tell them... it is actually mozzie.. but in 1950 koreans couldn't say moZZie.. when they tried it came out as moggy... that is where the word came from...

i kinda believe there may be some truth to that.. how could they get a word so similar?

my explaination makes sense @ least Razz
shawner88

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, it's going to be a long summer here. I opened my window last night and minutes later 30 mogies were on the screen trying to get in. I don't know where they're coming in exactly but they are. I sprayed at least a dozen but still woke up at 5AM with two itchy bites. Sprayed a few more and rolled on some �ٸ��� anti-itch and fell back to sleep.

Worse than ever this year because the little farm next to me built an irrigation stream that's turned into a festering mini-swamp full of slime, garbage and mogies.
eamo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about everbody contribute some tips to combat the moggies this summer.

I have two golden rules.

1. Make sure my screens are in good shape. If one screen isn't I simply won't open that window or get the screen replaced.

2. Keep one of those electric 'Homemat' vapour things going. I find they work.
rapier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one appeared 2 nights ago. I thought..hello, its starting again. i quickly invested in a net and hooks to suspend it over my bed..and, snap, a good nights sleep...
For successful sleep in Korea, you must have a) a mosquito net b)ear plugs to block out the noise from the street c) work out regularly to make you tired on time d) Keep off the caffiene and cigarettes
Zed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used a mosquito net here nor felt the need for it. 3 years - 7 different apartments.
rapier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed wrote:
I've never used a mosquito net here nor felt the need for it. 3 years - 7 different apartments.

Really? does thw whining sound of bloodsuckers landing on you and biting, not bother you at all???
peppermint

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a quick tip to help with the skeeter bites. A coat of clear nail polish will cut off contact with the air, and cut down on the itch immensely.

I know it sounds odd, but my kid sister (the one who teaches people to kayak in summer and sleeps in ice caves sometimes in winter) swears by it. I tried it, and it works very well. Very Happy
Zed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier wrote:
Zed wrote:

Really? does thw whining sound of bloodsuckers landing on you and biting, not bother you at all???
For the small number of them that I've encountered here, not really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: