Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Your Average Salary Closer to 2.06 or 3.04 million?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crois

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, woman, animal, canadian (joke), i'll sleep with anything for money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord wrote:
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee wrote:
I don't agree with that. You never had an Asian professor in your school?

It is no more difficult for them to get a position in the west than it is for anyone else.

and with efforts to diversify faculity in the states it might even be easier for them.

Generally, most countries require that the person doing the hiring cite that they tried to hire a citizen but could not fill the void with qualified citizens for they must sponsor a work visa to get a non-citizen to work in the job.

So, yes, it's substantially harder for a non-citizen to get a university job because a university can't even consider sponsoring a visa so long as a citizen is qualified and willing to work for the money offered.

If you are a foreigner with a PHD and a work visa in the US then you are likely going to enjoy similar conditions to what the other professors are earning , in Korea the foreigners with PHDs do not get the same deal that the Korean profs get.
Harpeau

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee wrote:
If you are a foreigner with a PHD and a work visa in the US then you are likely going to enjoy similar conditions to what the other professors are earning , in Korea the foreigners with PHDs do not get the same deal that the Korean profs get.

I agree with the above. I think Korea will have to change in order to face the future challenges of reciprocity as some unis in the USA doing Doctoral exchanges with Korea have been quietly cancelling due to the lack of reciprocity.

On a different note. Salaries are very personal and want to tell RR that it's none of your darn business how much money other people make. My only point in that other thread concerning salaries was that you weren't very accurate in stating what some people were making. I only make that point in order to let people know that you can do better at some other institutions.

Have a nice day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mosley

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that always gets me about these salary discussions is that what should a useful comparison discussion always become a *beep* measuring contest and the horse hockey becomes thicker by the post....
cdnguy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: On the original subject of montly salary. Reply with quote

Im heading to Korea in September, I have a respectable bachelors degree as well as a TESOL course under my belt. How much should I hold out for?
just because

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't get any more than the standard 1.9 (maybe 2.0).

People on higher than that have usually done some time here first so have some connections.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: