Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apostilled Degree Copy for Office of Education
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremysums

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Apostilled Degree Copy for Office of Education Reply with quote

Have you found a job in Korea?

Warhammer820 wrote:

Yeah they can't share information.

If you need documents apostille in a hurry, you can use an apostille service www.apostillepros.com but you have to pay them. They can do it the same day they receive your documents. 1 day for apostille and 2-3 shipping days for the documents to get to South Korea by FedEx international with tracking

[/quote]

So your saying that i can get an apostille in 2-3 days? What does a copy of a degree mean? It's just a scanned copy of my degree right?[/quote]
Warhammer820

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Apostilled Degree Copy for Office of Education Reply with quote

jeremysums wrote:

Warhammer820 wrote:

If you need documents apostille in a hurry, you can use an apostille service www.apostillepros.com but you have to pay them. They can do it the same day they receive your documents. 1 day for apostille and 2-3 shipping days for the documents to get to South Korea by FedEx international with tracking

So your saying that i can get an apostille in 2-3 days? What does a copy of a degree mean? It's just a scanned copy of my degree right?[/quote][/quote]

Not yet, I am just researching so I can be prepared. I will get my Education degree in May of next year. I would love to leave for South Korea by June or July. I would accept a hagwon or a public school in almost any location.
leftx47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Apostilled Degree Copy for Office of Education Reply with quote

Warhammer820 wrote:
What does a copy of a degree mean? It's just a scanned copy of my degree right?

From talking with officials in California and Texas, I've gathered there are essentially two different ways states handle the "apostilled copy of your diploma" question. From reading posts on this message board, K-immi seems okay with either method.

In some states (e.g. California), you do roughly the following steps:
1) Make a photocopy of your diploma
2) Take the copy to a notary
3) Fill out and sign a sworn statement stating that the photocopy is identical to the original diploma
4) Notary notarizes your signature
5) Take the copy and the notarized sworn statement to your Office of the Secretary of State
6) Office worker verifies the notary is licensed in the state, staples everything together and applies a fancy apostille seal.

This process (while apparently accepted by K-immi) is essentially meaningless. All the notary and apostille have done is confirm that you are the one who signed the statement that the photocopy is legit. No government official is vouching for the legitimacy of the photocopy. They are just saying that you are the one vouching for it (i.e. no one forged your signature).

Other states (e.g. Texas) refuse to allow this meaningless process to occur. (They would like to save K-immi from itself for some reason.) In those states:
1) You must have the copy made and signed and notarized by an official at the institution that issued the original degree.
2) Take it to the Office of the Secretary of State who verifies the notary is licensed in the state and applies their seal.

Because a state can only verify the licenses of their own notaries, these states will not apostille out-of-state degrees.

The second method is meaningful because someone from the university is validating the copy, not you. However, from what I've seen posted on Dave's, K-immi accepts both at this time. It's also a huge pain if you no longer live in the state where your degree was issued.

These are just the two states I'm familiar with. There are probably slight twists for other states. Even in CA, there are extra steps in the process if you have it apostilled at the LA office instead of Sacramento.

I've done the California way myself, but have only been told about the Texas way by a woman at the Texas Sec of State office, so if anyone has first-hand experience with method 2, it would be nice if they could post to confirm the steps or provide missing details.
samcic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Apostilled Degree Copy for Office of Education Reply with quote

Texas is the same.

leftx47 wrote:
Warhammer820 wrote:
What does a copy of a degree mean? It's just a scanned copy of my degree right?

From talking with officials in California and Texas, I've gathered there are essentially two different ways states handle the "apostilled copy of your diploma" question. From reading posts on this message board, K-immi seems okay with either method.

In some states (e.g. California), you do roughly the following steps:
1) Make a photocopy of your diploma
2) Take the copy to a notary
3) Fill out and sign a sworn statement stating that the photocopy is identical to the original diploma
4) Notary notarizes your signature
5) Take the copy and the notarized sworn statement to your Office of the Secretary of State
6) Office worker verifies the notary is licensed in the state, staples everything together and applies a fancy apostille seal.

This process (while apparently accepted by K-immi) is essentially meaningless. All the notary and apostille have done is confirm that you are the one who signed the statement that the photocopy is legit. No government official is vouching for the legitimacy of the photocopy. They are just saying that you are the one vouching for it (i.e. no one forged your signature).

Other states (e.g. Texas) refuse to allow this meaningless process to occur. (They would like to save K-immi from itself for some reason.) In those states:
1) You must have the copy made and signed and notarized by an official at the institution that issued the original degree.
2) Take it to the Office of the Secretary of State who verifies the notary is licensed in the state and applies their seal.

Because a state can only verify the licenses of their own notaries, these states will not apostille out-of-state degrees.

The second method is meaningful because someone from the university is validating the copy, not you. However, from what I've seen posted on Dave's, K-immi accepts both at this time. It's also a huge pain if you no longer live in the state where your degree was issued.

These are just the two states I'm familiar with. There are probably slight twists for other states. Even in CA, there are extra steps in the process if you have it apostilled at the LA office instead of Sacramento.

I've done the California way myself, but have only been told about the Texas way by a woman at the Texas Sec of State office, so if anyone has first-hand experience with method 2, it would be nice if they could post to confirm the steps or provide missing details.
jeremysums

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Apostilled Degree Copy for Office of Education Reply with quote

Just remember there is a six month rule on the FBI check so don't do it too early.

Warhammer820 wrote:
jeremysums wrote:

Warhammer820 wrote:

So your saying that i can get an apostille in 2-3 days? What does a copy of a degree mean? It's just a scanned copy of my degree right?
[/quote]

Not yet, I am just researching so I can be prepared. I will get my Education degree in May of next year. I would love to leave for South Korea by June or July. I would accept a hagwon or a public school in almost any location.[/quote]
Warhammer820

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Apostilled Degree Copy for Office of Education Reply with quote

jeremysums wrote:
Just remember there is a six month rule on the FBI check so don't do it too early.

Warhammer820 wrote:
jeremysums wrote:

Warhammer820 wrote:

So your saying that i can get an apostille in 2-3 days? What does a copy of a degree mean? It's just a scanned copy of my degree right?

Not yet, I am just researching so I can be prepared. I will get my Education degree in May of next year. I would love to leave for South Korea by June or July. I would accept a hagwon or a public school in almost any location.[/quote][/quote]

If it takes 8-12 weeks, then I will probably do it in February. When I receive it that's when the six months start right?
Warhammer820

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still a little confused. Will the apostille take about 2-3 days in my state for my degree and CBC or will the apostille take 7 weeks like I saw someone else say.
jeremysums

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not getting your degree until May of 2012, just wait until Jan 2012 to start. Rules might change with the consulate for your Visa. You can do the degree fast, so don't worry about that. Its the FBI check. It takes 8-12 weeks to get. Hopefully, Korean immigration change it back to state background check which takes like 1-3 days. My friend said Spain just changed it back to state background check for visa. Just wait, so you don't waste time and effort.

If the rules doesn't change you shouldn't get your FBI too early anyway, they're only valid for 6 months. So start in Jan. Right now, you should concentrate on finding the perfect school to teach in South Korea.

Warhammer820 wrote:
I'm still a little confused. Will the apostille take about 2-3 days in my state for my degree and CBC or will the apostille take 7 weeks like I saw someone else say.
Warhammer820

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremysums wrote:
If you're not getting your degree until May of 2012, just wait until Jan 2012 to start. Rules might change with the consulate for your Visa. You can do the degree fast, so don't worry about that. Its the FBI check. It takes 8-12 weeks to get. Hopefully, Korean immigration change it back to state background check which takes like 1-3 days. My friend said Spain just changed it back to state background check for visa. Just wait, so you don't waste time and effort.

If the rules doesn't change you shouldn't get your FBI too early anyway, they're only valid for 6 months. So start in Jan. Right now, you should concentrate on finding the perfect school to teach in South Korea.

Warhammer820 wrote:

Thanks, I really appreciate your help.
jeremysums

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a tough time finding a job, you might check out a recruiter or recruiters. They might have info about the school.

Warhammer820 wrote:
jeremysums wrote:

Warhammer820 wrote:

Warhammer820

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well right now I'm leaning between Korvia and Footprints. Not sure which one is better, but I have heard really good things about Korvia.

jeremysums wrote:
If you have a tough time finding a job, you might check out a recruiter or recruiters. They might have info about the school.

Warhammer820 wrote:
jeremysums wrote:

Warhammer820 wrote:

jeremysums

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try out a lot of recruiters. Have a feel for the questions they ask, what they want from you, and soon you'll find out the real answers. Are they just looking to make money off of you or really trying to place you where you really want to be. The last thing you want is to pull a runner at midnight.

Warhammer820 wrote:
Well right now I'm leaning between Korvia and Footprints. Not sure which one is better, but I have heard really good things about Korvia.

jeremysums wrote:

Warhammer820 wrote:
jeremysums wrote:

Warhammer820 wrote:

Laughing
jeremysums

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a thread on Korvia. People were saying good things about them.

Warhammer820 wrote:

jeremysums wrote:

Warhammer820 wrote:
jeremysums wrote:

Warhammer820 wrote:

jeremysums

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thread to Korvia

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=70102

Warhammer820 wrote:

jeremysums wrote:

Warhammer820 wrote:
jeremysums wrote:

Warhammer820 wrote:

jeremysums

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thread to Korvia

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=70102

Warhammer820 wrote:

jeremysums wrote:

Warhammer820 wrote:
jeremysums wrote:

Warhammer820 wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: