Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kateinkorea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: help me Reply with quote

This will be my first job in Korea (if I ever get one).

I keep hearing horror stories.

Are there some real safe jobs that most people have had really good experiences with with big companies so that the risk is less.

Can anyone recommend a few places that hire often (in Seoul or Daejon) that have good reputations. Of course every recruiter I have talked to claims to only deal with reputable schools but how would I know??

Thanks
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a few places that hire often (in Seoul or Daejon) that have good reputations. Of course every recruiter I have talked to claims to only deal with reputable schools but how would I know??

If they hire often, they have a high turnover rate. that does not equal good employer in my eyes. Look hard and you will find what you want.
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sort of like gambling... you'll almost never win big, but there's a chance that you may at least break even.

See how many students they have, if it's under 150, you may have trouble. If it's under 100, you will have trouble.

And do your danmest to get the email address of one of the foreign workers. If you talk to them on the phone, there's a good chance the boss will be standing next to them, so they wont be honest with you about the place.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run Forrest Run wrote:
It's sort of like gambling... you'll almost never win big, but there's a chance that you may at least break even.

See how many students they have, if it's under 150, you may have trouble. If it's under 100, you will have trouble.

And do your danmest to get the email address of one of the foreign workers. If you talk to them on the phone, there's a good chance the boss will be standing next to them, so they wont be honest with you about the place.

I work for a hogwon that has around 100 students; when I started it had 75 or so. I've been paid every time, have a nice apartment, and get along very well with my boss.

On the other hand, I would not have taken my job had I not met my boss in person. The hogwon was only 6 months old when I started working there, but he also had been running another hogwon (not english) for a number of years, and he generally seemed interested in education. He teaches the high school students on his own.

Yes, definitly e-mail workers at the hogwon. And if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Finally, the contract says a lot too. If it is straight-forward and direct, that's a good sign. If there is a lot of extra baggage to it, be skeptical.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: