Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IHerb.com ordering and tax
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camaroclow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: IHerb.com ordering and tax Reply with quote

Hello.

I just received a text from customs saying that I owe 54,000 won tax on an order I recently placed. I ordered 4 bottles of supplements, totalling around $150 american.

I have ordered from mass119.com in the past with orders costing more this containing 6 bottles and never have had to pay tax. Is it luck of the draw when it arrives? Anyone with experience? Thanks.
weso1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottles of what? I've gotten protein, creatine, and jack3d without any customs issues. They may have different rules for different substances.

Google search the Korean customs number. Not the number you got the text from (phone scams are on a sharp rise here recently. ) Have a Korean friend call the number you Googled to see if it's legit.
Skippy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you might be over the customs duty - remember it is 150,000 won and including shipping costs. Which shipper did you use? The Korean airboys or the UPS express. I think the airboys would be cheaper and easier as the try to include some sort of customs fee.

Check out the following link.
http://english.customs.go.kr/kcsweb/user.tdf?a=common.HtmlApp&c=1501&page=/english/html/kor/personal/personal_02_01.html&mc=ENGLISH_PERSONAL_POST_010
itistime

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've ordered more than the allotted 150k won
and are therefore ELIGIBLE for the customs
tax.

Keep it under $125 next time.
deizio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itistime wrote:
tax.

True true. Pay the duty by bank transfer and they'll send on your stuff.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itistime wrote:
tax.

^This.

And also know that they add shipping on top of that.
So even if you only order 130k won of product...but shipping is another 25k...then the total goes over the limit of 150k...and you have to pay customs.

Always check before your final order that the price of the products...plus the price of shipping is under 150k won.
camaroclow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lesson learned.

Thanks for the help everyone. I transferred the cash. I won't go with the 5 lbs of protein next time. :p

Weso1, I actually ordered jack3d as well. This is my first time trying it out. What do you think of it?
weso1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

camaroclow wrote:
Lesson learned.

Thanks for the help everyone. I transferred the cash. I won't go with the 5 lbs of protein next time. :p

Weso1, I actually ordered jack3d as well. This is my first time trying it out. What do you think of it?

It turns me into the hulk. No kidding, I feel an incredible pump, am so much stronger, and still have the ability to run for a solid half hour after a heavy weight routine. I can crank out 90mins in the gym no problem.

Prepare for the itch though. For my first tub of it, I got a strong itch on my face and hands. That's just the beta alinine working though. it goes away after 20 mins. I haven noticed lately though, I kind of miss it, lol.

Just be sure not to abuse it. Follow the directions. Ease up you dosage slowly, don't abuse coffee while you're on it. Other than that though, I can't imagine working out without it ever again.
camaroclow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks weso!
Just arrived an hour ago actually. Looking forward to the itch tonight! Its hard to believe to use just one of those little scoops to start off with but the warning label seems pretty intense so I will definitely follow it. Cheers.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered some things from iherb and they gave me a code for a $5 saving on a 1st iHerb purchase. I can't use it so i thought I would put it up here for some new members to use. It is VEF887.
wanderkind

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone had this problem more recently?

I have an $87 iHerb order that, according to the tracking number, has been sitting in customs for 8 days.
It contained 2 bottles of vitamins, and a bunch of seeds and nuts, which I wouldn't expect to have caused any issues. Also another order that shipped days later went straight through in just a couple hours and has already been delivered.

My number should be on the package, but I haven't received a text or phone call providing any explanation / fee payment details.

Anyone know who I should contact about a held package? At Korean customs I mean?
(The iHerb customer service response appears to have been some cut-paste reply that didn't answer my question and suggested they didn't really read what I wrote...and also the representative's name was spelled inconsistently in different places...not sure how helpful they're going to be.)
Canadian Club

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderkind wrote:
Anyone had this problem more recently?

I have an $87 iHerb order that, according to the tracking number, has been sitting in customs for 8 days.
It contained 2 bottles of vitamins, and a bunch of seeds and nuts, which I wouldn't expect to have caused any issues. Also another order that shipped days later went straight through in just a couple hours and has already been delivered.

My number should be on the package, but I haven't received a text or phone call providing any explanation / fee payment details.

Anyone know who I should contact about a held package? At Korean customs I mean?
(The iHerb customer service response appears to have been some cut-paste reply that didn't answer my question and suggested they didn't really read what I wrote...and also the representative's name was spelled inconsistently in different places...not sure how helpful they're going to be.)

I had one seized and had stuff confiscated. Click on the tracking number, then one the orange (?) button at the bottom of that page. Call the phone number- there's a lady who speaks English. They'll take out the stuff that they don't want you to have, and send the rest on to you.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderkind wrote:

Yup, that's why I stopped using iHerb.
atwood

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount for Internet orders from the U.S. is supposed to increase due to the surge of Internet shopping by Koreans. IIRC the new limit will be $150, (not 150,000won) but when it goes into effect I don't know.

Korean customs is a very political entity. They may be cracking down because the stronger won will hurt Korean exporters. They are one of the things Obama complained about when taking Korea to task for non-compliance with the FTA. They place an onerous burden on many importers who want to get their products into the Korean market.

Last edited by atwood on Sat May 10, 2014 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ck10n3

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use the code CIH211 you'll get a discount and shipping over $60 is free.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: