Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New E-2 Guidelines????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forgesteel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: couple questions- getting CBC done from Korea Reply with quote

a. I read somewhere that I needed the real CBC forms if you are from California. The local police (here in Korea) printed them out for me when we took the prints.

b. He folded the papers which have my prints on them and put them in envelopes. Are folded papers ok?
Feloria

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the FBI CBC, you cannot use the forms that are online-they have to be the real cardboard-like forms.

I have heard that they are available in Seoul or "gu" police stations.

The forms online are only for identification purposes.

And, NO folded papers are not OK.

Sorry Embarassed

Good Luck!
AliNZ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there no end to this madness!
forgesteel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks, feloria!
hapkido1996

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feloria wrote:
For the FBI CBC, you cannot use the forms that are online-they have to be the real cardboard-like forms.

I have heard that they are available in Seoul or "gu" police stations.

The forms online are only for identification purposes.

And, NO folded papers are not OK.

Sorry Embarassed

Good Luck!

Ehhh...the website below says that printing the online form is OK. Why would Korean police have US FBI fingerprint cards? Seems that if you had to have original cards, we'd all have to fly back home and do it in person, eh?

http://www.thewaygookeffect.com/2010/10/fbi-background-check-walk-through-for-e.html
Quote:
1) The website with the information on requesting a criminal background check is here. (LINK) Read it.
2) Fill out and print off the application form. (LINK)
3) Print off five copies of the standard fingerprint form (FD-258) and fill each of them out. Printed on a color printer is preferable. (LINK) You should get a full set of prints on three of them to mail in, but if the officer or you makes a mistake, it is good to have two extra blanks to start over if needed. You need to send in three in the event the FBI rejects one because of smudging and wants a new one.
4) Print one copy of an example of a completed fingerprint card. (LINK) The officer who took my prints had never used an FBI print card before and really appreciated the example I brought him.
5) Fill out and print off the credit card payment form. (LINK) They do not accept personal checks.
6) Bring with you to the station your passport and alien registration card. You actually should not need to provide them, but they will want to see them to confirm your identity and make a copy for record keeping purposes

But the FBI FAQ page says:

Quote:
6. Can I use the fingerprint card I download from this site?

Yes. The FBI will accept the downloaded paper fingerprint card only for the purpose of requesting an FBI Identification Record. If you go to a law enforcement agency or private fingerprinting agency to be fingerprinted, they may prefer to use a fingerprint card on standard card stock. You may use the fingerprint card provided by the printing agency.

"only for the purpose of requesting an FBI Identification Record". That's not the same as a CBC, is it? Crap. Not sure. Now what?
forgesteel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a. I think 'identification record' might be the same.
b. i have a friend who lives in same korean city as me. she had the police here print it on their flimsy paper. she sent that to fbi for her nationwide CBC. fbi had no problem with it.
hapkido1996

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, forgesteel. She got it back already, then?

Also, did she send an SASE? The FBI site recommends it for faster turnaround, but I can't figure out how to get one over here.
forgesteel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: sase Reply with quote

didn't ask her about that part.

but yeah, it all got done.
Quack Addict

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are staying with the same school for an additional year is it necessary to get another CBC? I heard someone say that you have to give the immigration a new CBC even if you haven't left the country. Just trying to seperate fact from fiction. Thanks.
El Jordanio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: FBI vs State criminal record check Reply with quote

First, Last year when I applied for a criminal record check and read about needing an 'FBI check' i called my state police to ask about it: They said that ALL U.S. police offices use the FBI database to do CRCs so that a state CRC IS an FBI record check~has anyone recently successfully applied for a visa using an appostled state record check?

Second, with the risk of being redundant, I am re-applying at the same school and it is an adult hagwon; is the paperwork process any easier if I re-apply/extend my e2 visa? I have been reading mixed results

Third, I haven't left Korea since I first arrived in 2010; why would I need another CRC from the U.S.? Since I haven't been there, how can i have committed a crime there? I read somewhere I can just get a Korean CRC since I haven't left korea, is that true?

Why is this all so complicated!!?!? What masochist designed this system!?!? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Tokki1

Location: The gap between the Korean superiority and inferiority complex

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in a Korea-related thread.

Turn off the brain. Off. Now get prepared to pedal backwards. Turn on the timer on your electric fan in case of accidental death. Ok, now let's get started.

1. Korea invented law. And English. You're lucky enough to be allowed into the Land of the Morning Calm to begin with.

Now:

2. Left hand, right hand. Don't trust anything you read online or are told on the phone. You can hear one thing and be told something completely different when you arrive at customs or anywhere else in Korea. I don't care what anyone here says. I've had it happen to me too many times. They want 2 sealed transcripts? I bring 50. Sealed, stamped and kissed by the Prime Minister of Canada with a framed photo, time-stamped. Overdo everything, do not skimp or take chances. Make sure you are 110% ABSOLUTELY certain that what you are doing is right.

2. You need a CRC every year, even if you don't leave the country, for a new job or to renew your contract. Do not question this. It is Korean law. Remember: Korea invented law, so do not question it. Yes, the paperwork is easier when you renew (obviously), but it is still brutally painful.

3. Hub of Asia my 'sparkling' azzle. I'm teaching in a different country now and I'll tell you what:
-no racism
-foreigners are 'cool'
-next to no violence
-no red tape to cut through
*Consider teaching somewhere else*
Grantasmagoria

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So different consulates need different sets of documents? Even if I already had my degree and health check verified by Immigration in Korea? I think my degree is going on 10 times total submitted and verified over the years.

Surely, they aren't that stupid?
z3371538

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Australia earning an MA in TESOL, but I am from the United States. I have never taught in Korea before. Do I need to go back to the United States to get my E-2 visa or can I get it in Australia? I keep getting mixed information on this, so some concrete information would be much appreciated.
Tumbleweed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's my situation.

I left my old hagwon 8 months into the contract, and I have a letter of release. Also, my current visa expires in March, so I still have time on the clock, as it is.

Now, what I DON'T have is an FBI background check- my hagwon started the paperwork on my visa before the Jan 1st deadline.

Now, at my new hagwon, they say there's a new rule that was added in August that I need a CBC in order to TRANSFER the visa? Can anyone verify this or not?

Thanks!
koreatimes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the CBC, have it on file regardless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78  Next
Page 74 of 78

Jump to: