Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gwangju English Village...any thoughts?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't these owned by the government? I visited the English village in Paju a while back. They seemed to have issues there but nothing described like this. However, I heard there were foriegn managers who all were canned and replaced by Koreans. Seems something with new Gyeonggi counsel. Guess they are really anti foriegner from what people have said. Seems English spectrum getting their way? Along with rumors of even more Gyeong-gi cuts. Fortunately, EPIK isn't doing those yet. SMOE, except for reducing high school, doesn't have any planned either. Maybe just stay out of that province.
supateacha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of them are owned by the Government (or so I've heard)- but this establishment is not.

They also advertise that you will have a Monday-Friday job. This certainly IS NOT the case. You will work nearly every Saturday and possibly some Sundays.

This is not a place you want to spend a year at! And many of the teachers have not!
HeybigD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Run!!! Reply with quote

supateacha wrote:
I've worked there. I don't recommend it. The slander laws are in favor of the slandered in Korea because of the culture, but please hear me when I say, that I do not suggest going. If you have specific concerns you may PM me.

Hi,
I'm new to Dave's so I can't PM you but I was hoping you wouldn't mind being specific as to why you don't suggest going to Gwangju English Village. I'm new to the TEFL field and I just had a interview yesterday with them and now that I see all of this negativity directed at them I am definitely wary of accepting a position.
supateacha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi,
I'm new to Dave's so I can't PM you but I was hoping you wouldn't mind being specific as to why you don't suggest going to Gwangju English Village. I'm new to the TEFL field and I just had a interview yesterday with them and now that I see all of this negativity directed at them I am definitely wary of accepting a position.

Hi! please send me your email address and I will answer your questions! I also cannot PM yet.
HeybigD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your quick response, email me so I can be specific about my situation and ask you more questions

Last edited by HeybigD on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Kimchifart

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youtuber wrote:
There were fistfights among the foreign teachers at my village. But there are some cool foreigners as well. It basically feels like you are in high school again, which can be good and bad.

There's a story here. I'm listening...
stever1000

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new information on this school?

Good? Bad? details please Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: