Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New E-2 Guidelines????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UncleAlex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: FBI vs State criminal record check Reply with quote

El Jordanio wrote:
First, Last year when I applied for a criminal record check and read about needing an 'FBI check' i called my state police to ask about it: They said that ALL U.S. police offices use the FBI database to do CRCs so that a state CRC IS an FBI record check~has anyone recently successfully applied for a visa using an appostled state record check?

Second, with the risk of being redundant, I am re-applying at the same school and it is an adult hagwon; is the paperwork process any easier if I re-apply/extend my e2 visa? I have been reading mixed results

Third, I haven't left Korea since I first arrived in 2010; why would I need another CRC from the U.S.? Since I haven't been there, how can i have committed a crime there? I read somewhere I can just get a Korean CRC since I haven't left korea, is that true?

Why is this all so complicated!!?!? What masochist designed this system!?!? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

"Bureaucracy is the art of making what is possible impossible. It is the rule of no one."
Oscar Wilde
Savant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transferring a visa next February.

Haven't kept myself as up to date on Immigrations Regulations.

So, what's required?

Original Apostilled CBC?
Apostilled Copy of Degree?

Pretty sure I submitted both documents when transferring my previous visa to my current job.

I would bet that I need to do the same again?
MetaFitX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumbleweed wrote:
Okay, here's my situation.

I left my old hagwon 8 months into the contract, and I have a letter of release. Also, my current visa expires in March, so I still have time on the clock, as it is.

Now, what I DON'T have is an FBI background check- my hagwon started the paperwork on my visa before the Jan 1st deadline.

Now, at my new hagwon, they say there's a new rule that was added in August that I need a CBC in order to TRANSFER the visa? Can anyone verify this or not?

Thanks!

I just went through something similar.

I came to Korea in July 2010 w/ a state background check.
Re-signed with my school in 2011.
Was let go by my school in October.
Obtained a letter of release. ARC expired in August of 2012.
Was informed by immigration that as I was told that I would need a national background check for my next visa for a new job that I would NEED the FBI check for a new E-2 visa.

I'm now back in the States waiting for my damn FBI background check. Learned my lesson. Stay up to date on this sh*t!
88Sparky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things that are now need to get an E-2 Visa:

1. Clean FBI Background Check. If you haven't been fingerprinted by the authorities, then they won't send your prints to the FBI. That means you'll get something back that says, "No record." They cost $16 per copy. I would recommend you get at least 2 copies. The FBI will take 4 to 6 weeks to process a record check. If you're still in Korea, then you can go to the nearest police station and get your fingerprints taken there so you can submit your fingerprint card to the FBI Biometrics Division in West Virgina.

2. Once you get your Clean Record Check back from the FBI from the , then you must get it Apostilled by the U.S. State Department. ***Note-When you apply for the FBI Background Check on the request form, then you say you want an official seal from the FBI, you want the signature of the division official, and you want the background check to be pre-authenticated so it can be apostilled.*** The Apostille process will cost $8 per document. The State Department processes apostilles in 2 to 4 weeks time. I would recommend you get at least 2 copies.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks/faqs

Canada doesn't do the apostille. So, once a Canadian gets his/her RCMP Background Check back, then he/she have to get it notarized by the Korean Embassy or their nearest Korean Consulate in Canada.

3. Get your College Diploma Apostilled. First, you have to get your degree notarized from a place like the bank. Once you have a copy of your college diploma notarized, then you can go to your state's Secretary of State's office and get that notarized copy of your college diploma apostilled. Once something has been notarized, then it can be apostilled by your state's Secretary of State's office. Note-only the U.S. State Department can apostille federal documents. The cost of getting your copy of your diploma apostilled will vary from each state.

4. Get some 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm passport size photos that are no older than 6 months.

5. You may have to get an official copy of your college transcript. One should be enough. You may have to get 2 copies.

Make sure you get a multiple entry visa. That will allow you to visit your family during the Holidays and travel to nearby countries.
88Sparky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savant,

I recently had my E-2 Visa transferred to my temporary job last month. I also had to show the Immigration office a copy of the contract with my new employer and I had to show them my release letter from my last employer. If you can do those things and bring your passport and your ARC card with you, then you shouldn't have a problem. However, my E-2 visa was issued in September of last year. So, it also may depend on your situation. Will you E-2 Visa expire soon, and then you plan to transfer to a new school? Or will it be awhile before your E-2 visa expires, and then you want to transfer it to another school?
Savant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

88Sparky wrote:
Savant,

I recently had my E-2 Visa transferred to my temporary job last month. I also had to show the Immigration office a copy of the contract with my new employer and I had to show them my release letter from my last employer. If you can do those things and bring your passport and your ARC card with you, then you shouldn't have a problem. However, my E-2 visa was issued in September of last year. So, it also may depend on your situation. Will you E-2 Visa expire soon, and then you plan to transfer to a new school? Or will it be awhile before your E-2 visa expires, and then you want to transfer it to another school?

My previous transferred E-2 visa (updated ARC) was done on March last year.

My ARC is valid until 31st March even though my current contract finishes at the end of February.

I want to transfer my visa before my ARC validity expires.

Pretty sure, I don't need to submit a new apostilled CBC or degree for the Visa transfer? Just you never know with Korean Immigration what to expect from one day to the next.

Did you transfer your visa before completing your previous contract because I am sure that the Letter of Release is no longer required if you complete a contract and then wish to work for a new school immediately after (or within 30 days).

Oh, I'm from the UK so every CBC we submit has always been a National one. (No need to worry about FBI checks)
88Sparky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savant,

I just learned something today. If you successfully complete your contract, then you don't need a letter of release. However, you will still need to get a contract signed with your next school, and of course make sure you have the proper documents. I'm about to successfully complete my temporary contract tomorrow, but I don't plan on leaving Korea until I get my work visa renewed. I wanted to leave Korea for Taiwan, but I have to wait two extra days so I can get my work visa renewed. Another thing, you want to have show your copy of your soon-to-be completed contract to your next school. That document will help them renew your work visa. Once your contract expires and is finished, then you have 30 days to find another job or leave Korea. However, you can apply for a D10 permit, which will allow you to stay in Korea and find for work for at least 30 days. It could allow you to say up to 90 days, but I'm not certain about that.

Oh I didn't see your question at first. To answer your question, I needed the Letter of Release for my temporary position, because I was let go due to philosophical differences and a communication barrier. Now for my next permanent position, I won't need a Letter of Release, because I'm going to successfully complete my contract tomorrow. However, I still will need to get my E-2 Visa renewed.
fullcollapseCA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey does anyone know if I can send my notarized diploma copy in with my FBI background check to Washington D.C. or do I have to get an apostille only from my State (CA). I am about to my mail my criminal background check in and was hoping to kill two birds with one stone. Thanks!
halophex

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey does anyone know if I can send my notarized diploma copy in with my FBI background check to Washington D.C. or do I have to get an apostille only from my State (CA). I am about to my mail my criminal background check in and was hoping to kill two birds with one stone. Thanks!

No you can't. You can only get your diploma copy apostilled by the state that authorized the notary. So if you got it notarized in California by a California Notary Public, you need to send it in to California Secretary of State.
is so delicious

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few questions regarding this subject (I'll post elsewhere, because I'm kind of stressed about it):

I just went to immigration and they told me I need a nationwide criminal background check (I last did the visa process a few months before this rule went into effect). I DO have the fingerprints, which will save me at least ONE headache. I got them done officially at a police station in New York, which is where I claim residency.

So all I have are the fingerprints. I have until March 29th. The immigration agent told me that I have to show proof that I applied for my CRC before my visa expires, which will grant me a three month grace period.

So does anyone know how specific the "proof" has to be? Just a copy of the application, maybe a receipt from the post office that I sent something to the same address?

I think she used the word "receipt," which worries me, because in America they'll only give you a receipt for something AFTER the process is over (which is, after all, kind of the point of the receipt).

Also, how complicated is it to send off my fingerprints and obtain a CRC while living in America?

AND... do I have to get this apostilized?! PLEASE say no... but I figure I do. If so, how/where can I go about that? Do I have to send it to the some department of State (?) AFTER I've obtained it? Can I do this all by way of postal service? My parents can help me out.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm pretty stressed about it. I know the FBI check takes a while... think it takes two or three months, depending, so if I get on it quickly, I should be okay, seeing that I have four months in total. Just worried I'll run into some problem... like Korea doesn't have a notary/apostille person/whatever, and I'll have to fly all the way home to get a stamp on some document...

***EDIT***

After posting all that... some POSSIBLY good news:

A lady at immigration just told me that if you are already in Korea, you can get some sort of certification check on your CRC at the American Consulate, and this will suffice as an apostille stamp.

Not sure if this works for other countries, but I assume so. Guess that cuts down a significant amount of hassle- mailing it to the state department and getting it apostillized and whatnot.
UncleAlex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

88Sparky wrote:
Savant,

I just learned something today. If you successfully complete your contract, then you don't need a letter of release. However, you will still need to get a contract signed with your next school, and of course make sure you have the proper documents. I'm about to successfully complete my temporary contract tomorrow, but I don't plan on leaving Korea until I get my work visa renewed. I wanted to leave Korea for Taiwan, but I have to wait two extra days so I can get my work visa renewed. Another thing, you want to have show your copy of your soon-to-be completed contract to your next school. That document will help them renew your work visa. Once your contract expires and is finished, then you have 30 days to find another job or leave Korea. However, you can apply for a D10 permit, which will allow you to stay in Korea and find for work for at least 30 days. It could allow you to say up to 90 days, but I'm not certain about that.

Oh I didn't see your question at first. To answer your question, I needed the Letter of Release for my temporary position, because I was let go due to philosophical differences and a communication barrier. Now for my next permanent position, I won't need a Letter of Release, because I'm going to successfully complete my contract tomorrow. However, I still will need to get my E-2 Visa renewed.

Back in 2010 I needed a formal letter from my employer to confirm that my completed contract was finishing, so that I could apply with a new school and have my E2 visa renewed before it should expire. The new job and visa renewal application had to be done before the current visa expiry date or else I'd have to apply for a new E2 visa all over again for the new position. I presume it's still the same, so it's wise for people to call immigration (1345) and check for themselves.
Suwon23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several people have told me recently that private lessons are now legel with an E-2 visa. There's no way. Please tell me this isn't the case.
matty022

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep in mind that a new requirement for 2(two) authenticated copies of your federal FBI Criminal Background Check goes into effect in "mid-2012". Anyone ordering a CBC now make sure to ask for 2 authenticated copies.
RGF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Any changes for E2 Visas circa 2012? Reply with quote

Hello Everyone-
1) Just wondering if anyone out there has current info re E2 Visa reqs - UNLESS they are the same from the last thread is 2006. Thanks-
2) Also, can I apply for any of it from any other country besides my own? I have copies of docs only. Thanks again -
koreaquestions

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: rumor of rule change Reply with quote

This has probably been answered here, but stupid me, I can't figure it out. I would like to transfer to another hagwon when my contract expires July 1st, without going back to the US. I submitted the FBI national CRC and apostilled degree copy in June of 2011 before I first came, but I've heard rumors of a rule change through a recruiter (I don't know if he's reliable) that say I will have to resubmit them even if I accept another offer immediately. It would be cutting it too close for me to try to get the documents together again. Is there really a rule change this year? Or are the documents I sent last year still valid? Thanks for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78  Next
Page 75 of 78

Jump to: