Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

am i working enough??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: am i working enough?? Reply with quote

I am contracted to teach 120 hours a month, for 1.9 million won. Which works out to be 30 hours a week. My first week I worked 17 classes - each class is 40 mins, and this second week, my timetable has changed to 22 classes. I'm not complaining as this is pretty sweet. I start at 3, and my latest classes, which are mondays and fridays, finish at 8.45. But, what i am a little worried that I won't get paid the 1.9 mill, as i haven;t worked enough hours. Am i right to be worried? My boss has been nothing but fabulous to me - they buy me food, bought a whole lot of new furniture etc, for my house, took me to open a bank account, and to get my foreign registration card, i feel really quite spoilt. Today we even went on a trip together to see the cherry blossoms, and she is picking me up at 4.30 am on monday, to take me to the bus station so i can go to Incheon airport and pick up a friend that is flying in. So i really don't feel like they are going to cheat me.
eamo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should always get your full pay. Your contract is for salary right? Not hours worked.

It's soo sweet when there's not many classes and you work undertime. Live it up!!
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like ya lucked out thus far, grrl. Wish ya coulda made it last night to Seoul.

Yea, contract hours don't change your pay. If your pay is changed, something's fishy. Just double-check the ol' contract and make sure it doesn't say anything to the contrary.
Nelson606

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoilt???? Obviously they didn't hire you for your ability to read and write in English.
eamo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no! The spelling police are back!!! Better get my dictionary out!
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nelson606 wrote:
Spoilt???? Obviously they didn't hire you for your ability to read and write in English.

Since you're being pedantic: According to the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary -

spoilt /splt/ (BrE) (also spoiled /spld/, AmE, BrE) adj. (of a child) rude and badly behaved because they are given everything they ask for and not enough discipline: a spoiled brat He's spoilt rotten (= a lot).

Next time you attempt to criticise someones spelling/punctuation/grammar make sure you can at least back yourself up.
Blue Flower

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer I wish i had gone as well. I had the class from hell, and a drink or 5 would have been fabulous. But instead I ate ramen noodles cross legged on my bed and watched the Blue Lagoon. Cool What more could you want from a Friday night?
weatherman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
am i working enough??

Wow, did you really say that? I must have it easy then. I fear working a job where I do work long hard hours, Korea has made me very soft in this regard. Granted, I have a lot of bull at my job, but the hours keep me true.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Flower wrote:
Zyzyfer I wish i had gone as well. I had the class from hell, and a drink or 5 would have been fabulous. But instead I ate ramen noodles cross legged on my bed and watched the Blue Lagoon. Cool What more could you want from a Friday night?

Heh, I'm sorry. Well, the next big bash is Saturday, so no class til' 9 excuses this time! You'll have more foreigners around ya than you can shake a stick at!
Blue Flower

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i double checked my contract, and no probs. Whats especially good news is that those evil middle school students have their exams soon, if not this week, so i lose those later classes!! Yay for me!!

I am sooo looking forward to being surrounded by foreigners, who can not only speak english, but understand what i say. Bliss!

Edited to add - Weatherman - from the stories i've heard i was expecting to be working 9am - 11pm. Not the pretty cruisy deal i have. It may change i guess, since i have only been here 2 weeks (50 to go...) but fingers crossed it won't. So different from teaching in a secondary school back home.
l'il kim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question along a similar vein. Just started working here three weeks ago, and have a pretty sweet deal so far, as I'm only working 22 class hours (of 45 min) a week. Like all (or most) of the full-timers, I'm contractually bound for 30 hours per. Is it possible, or even conceivable, that somewhere down the line I could be compelled to "make up" these hours and have to work, say, 35 hours a week for no overtime?
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure that your salary is based on each month worked, and you should be fine, lil' kim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: