Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Independent Contractor - Making it Work for You
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skippy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Independent Contractor - Making it Work for You Reply with quote

I was reading a previous thread about Independent Contractors.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=210987&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Commenters nachoinkorea and ontheway has some good points and explains some interesting things.

So I was wondering would it be possible to be an Independent contractor but make it work for you.

So as an IC the company does not pay benefits like health or pension. So my thinking is if get 2,3 regular job but if I am an IC I ask for a high pay to cover their cost of benefits. Roughly another 200,000.

Or course the downside is the higher tax rate at 3.3. But I feel with being aware of taxes and filing yourself you can still save.

Further protecting myself would be the assurance that I am an IC and I can work at any other place with permission from the school.

So does anybody have any advice about signing a IC contract with an E-2 visa.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The schools love putting you as IC but the hard part is getting the employer permission to work other locations.
jrwhite82

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my advice is don't do it.

Basically, you need someone who is willing to hire you for a position that doesn't need a lot of hours, that will sponsor your visa AND give you permission to work somewhere else. Will this school give you an apartment and airfare?

Ok, that might be doable. But then you'll also need 2-3 other schools that need a part time employee.

If you could line all of that up, it might work for you. But remember, it would probably take you a bit of time to get all those PT gigs going. Which is lost wages. So for each month that you would have made 2.2 (which would actually be quite a bit higher because you're also getting pension, health care, apartment, and flights which you would not be collecting at your IC gig) at your regular hagwon gig, you now maybe were only pulling down 1.5. So it will take a couple of months to make up that lost wage while you fill your schedule with PT gigs. Then you'll start making more than you would have. But it will definitely take some time to get rolling.

Also, it might be hard to swing your vacation to all land at the same time. But if your willing to just work, work, work it might be good for you.

Big risk though and hard to set up well.
northway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems really impractical on an E2, for all the reasons outlined by jrwhite.
ontheway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an E2 teacher you would need a primary school to be your visa sponsor. This would be your first contract. If you negotiate properly and write your own contract with the proper terms allowing you to work for multiple schools, then you could come out ahead.

You would have to pay your own pension and health insurance, double the regular amount, to be legal. But, you should be able to get a higher hourly rate than a regular E2 since the school saves on benefits. Generally, it costs a school 30,000 - 40,000 won per teaching hour (depending on a number of factors) to hire an E2 teacher. So, you should be able to get 25,000 to 35,000 per hour for large blocks of time with no benefits.

The way to make this work for you is to work more than the usual number of hours, be willing to forego any real vacation since your vacation times may not line up (except for major Korean holidays), have experience and contacts in advance, already be in Korea and have no visa or airfare issues, have a large urban area to find contracts in, and to rent or buy your own housing.

As to income taxes, Independent contractors do have the 3.3% withholding rate, but they actually pay the same tax rate as everyone else - it's on the same progressive tax scale, based on the total of your earnings. So, if you have the same total income as an employee at one job or a contractor working 5 jobs, you should still pay the same amount of tax. (Of course, as a contractor you would likely have additional deductible business expenses.)

The reason ICs pay a higher withholding tax rate even though they actually face the same progressive tax scale as everyone else is because an IC could have small earnings from numerous sources and it could be possible for earnings from each contract to be at or below the zero percent withholding tax level for an employee. So, 3.3% was set as a minimum IC tax withholding rate to make sure the IC pays in enough to cover his or her income taxes.

If you are a successful IC you should earn enough to pay far more than the 3.3% tax rate. Korea has progressive rates up to 36%.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ontheway wrote:
As an E2 teacher you would need a primary school to be your visa sponsor. This would be your first contract. If you negotiate properly and write your own contract with the proper terms allowing you to work for multiple schools, then you could come out ahead.

Except since as Immigration does not recognize E-2's to be IC's (yes I called the Busan office directly) he would still have to get Immigration's permission to work more than one job.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TUM: You're wasting your time trying to explain that to ontheway. That poster is fixated on the tax issue, completely oblivious to the actual issue of the employer<->employee relationship.

The sooner the CDI case is settled, the better so people will grasp the facts.
jrwhite82

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
TUM: You're wasting your time trying to explain that to ontheway. That poster is fixated on the tax issue, completely oblivious to the actual issue of the employer<->employee relationship.

What ever happened with that?
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrwhite82 wrote:
CentralCali wrote:

What ever happened with that?

Still before the courts apparently:

Here's the background:

http://hiexpat.com/korea-blog/chungdam-native-english-teachers-in-dispute-korea-times.html

And here's (apparently) how to file online against YOUR workplace if they are ripping you off.

http://eslwatch.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59:filing-a-petition-with-a-local-labor-office-thru-internet&catid=75:about-the-law&Itemid=80
Wildbore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:

What facts?

Ontheway is correct. If your school gives you permission, immigration will allow you to add other schools. Immigration is not the problem.

Also, it states clearly on the National Health Insurance site, under the Q&A, that pretty much all D, E, and F visa types, aside from a couple, can sign up for health insurance as self-employed.

There is a HUGE demand for part-timers (indepedent contractors), I have Korean friends working at Hagwons saying their school managers want/need part-time teachers, and they'll willing to pay 35,000 - 50,000 per hour, because they simply don't have enough students for a full-time foreign teacher, or the Hagwon does not want to dish out huge capital expenses for an apartment, airfare, etc. It makes plenty of sense if you think about it.

If you invest in your own apartment, don't need airfare, get the permission from the school to work at other locations (before agreeing to work there), and are willing to sign up for pension/health on your own (which is allowed as an IC), obviously the wages will be higher and also your flexibility would be greater.

In the end, will you make more money, well thats up to you.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Independent Contractor - Making it Work for You Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
I was reading a previous thread about Independent Contractors.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=210987&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Commenters nachoinkorea and ontheway has some good points and explains some interesting things.

So I was wondering would it be possible to be an Independent contractor but make it work for you.

So as an IC the company does not pay benefits like health or pension. So my thinking is if get 2,3 regular job but if I am an IC I ask for a high pay to cover their cost of benefits. Roughly another 200,000.

Or course the downside is the higher tax rate at 3.3. But I feel with being aware of taxes and filing yourself you can still save.

Further protecting myself would be the assurance that I am an IC and I can work at any other place with permission from the school.

So does anybody have any advice about signing a IC contract with an E-2 visa.

The only downside is that the 2nd and 3rd job ARE RESTRICTED even if you do have the blessing of your employer.

You have immigration issues to deal with because you are NOT independent (your employer IS your sponsor).

The ONLY way it can work for you to your benefit is if you are on an F-class visa and you get to work like a contractor (you pick your times and method of work - think PLUMBER. You hire him to fix the plumbing but he chooses how and what to do, what tools to use and when he will do it).

big_fella1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ontheway wrote:
If you are a successful IC you should earn enough to pay far more than the 3.3% tax rate. Korea has progressive rates up to 36%.

Hi ontheway, being an independent contractor you miss many tax deductions that employees get, no Jonsei interest deduction, no credit card deduction, etc.

However the tax office will accept legitimate claims, I have heard claims over 50% of revenue are okay as an independent contractor.

Only be an independent contractor if it works for you, I believe a full-time hagwon employee makes about w27,000 an hour (including benefits), you need more than this, and if you're an E2 and you accept independent contractor status, you are undervaluing and the work you do. If you are only offered w2.1 million as an independent contractor, can I suggest China.

Really, if you can only have one job, you have a boss, and you have set hours, where is the independence without extra cash?
nachoinkorea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI guys, you do not have to be an independent contractor to have other jobs added to your visa. Some people seem to think if you are not an independent contractor you can't add other jobs. This is wrong.

All E-2 visa holders, whether they are "regular" or "irregular" (read: independent contractor) employees can add up to 12 jobs to their E-2 visa, provided that:
1. they have their visa sponsor's permission (this is the main problem for most people)
2. the 2nd job is allowed under their E-2 visa (you cannot work outside of a hagwon or public school usually).

I have seen people in the past add radio and TV jobs to their E-2 visas. I think a lot of times that depends on the Immigration officer you deal with (when I was on my E-2 I added a radio gig to my visa, which falls under the E-7 visa).

My company hires both "regular" (full-time) & "irregular" (independent contractors) teachers. The low down on these jobs:
1. regular - receive average monthly salary and all legally-entitled benefits (health insurance, pension payments, severance bonus, etc.)
2. irregular - less benefits (we split health insurance with them, but it's in their name. No pension or severance), but we let them add jobs to their visa. Most of them pick up after-school jobs. Most of our irregular employees are pulling in 4+ million KRW per month or more, and they are doing it legally. So generally independent contractors can make a lot more money, but get fewer benefits. You take the good with the bad.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildbore wrote:
CentralCali wrote:

What facts?

Ontheway is correct. If your school gives you permission, immigration will allow you to add other schools. Immigration is not the problem.

That's not what we are saying though. We are saying that you still need Immigration's permission...hence you are not seen as a IC. And no Immigration does not always rubber stamp their approval. For example if you work at a public school and you want a second job...you can only work at another public school. No hakwons or anything like that.
And as already said those other jobs are restricted whereas if you were a REAL IC they wouldn't be.
nachoinkorea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Urban Myth, that was the old rule. It changed back in 2010 I believe.

Now, if you have an E-2 visa and you want to add a 2nd job to your visa (again, provided you have your visa sponsor's permission) you can add either a public or private school to that job regardless if your visa sponsor is public or private.

A few years ago the old system used to be:
1. private visa sponsor = only add public schools to your visa
2. public visa = only add public schools to your visa

You could not go "public to private" or "private to private", but like I said those rules changed. Some of our current staff are sponsored by public schools but they add us to their visa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: