Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hogwan workweek and hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gentle Giant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Hogwan workweek and hours Reply with quote

I have a friend who recently taught for 1 yr in S. Korea. She says that many people work 6 day weeks from early morning 'til night and have to spend many hours travelling to different companies that your hogwan sends you to. How many people live like this?
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not any that I know.

In the past I did the traveling thing but the company that had me doing it was breaking Korean law (it was SISA). I never worked six days though.

Anyhow I was a newbie and foolish. Shocked
Derrek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Not me -- my hours Reply with quote

Currently during the students winter vacation, I work 9am-2pm on MWF and 9am-1pm on Tuesday/Thursday. I will go back to working 3pm to 9pm on these days in February after their winter break is over. I don't work Saturdays, and never have at my Hagwon.
saw6436

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Hogwon hours Reply with quote

Came here in 1998. First taught from 6:30am to 8:40am (adults) then back at 4:00pm till 8:20pm (adults and kids). Did teach on Saturdays but it was voluntary and on overtime. Currently my schedule is 2:00pm till 8:20pm MTWT. And 3:00pm to 8:20pm Fridays. I teach TOEIC on Saturdays from 2:30pm till 6:20pm (3 classes). Saturdays at my school have always been considered overtime regardless of the actual hours worked during the week.
My contract calls for 30 hours per week teaching (45 minute class equals 1 hour) but for the bulk of my 4 years at this school I have only taught 25 hours per week. Currently I am actually teaching 28 hours per week plus the Saturday class. By the way, my Director pays me for 5 hours of teaching on Saturday even though I only "work" 4 hours. Have read the horror stories about directors here and feel very lucky with mine.
william beckerson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost took a job like that.

If you teach adults, even in the glorious holy land of PAGODA, thats the sort of hours you have. The hours at a kid's school are more reasonable. But you're still putting in more hours than you're contracted for, regardless of where you work.
gray

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um yep, so this is sort of embarrassing, but i work hours sort of like those described, but without the travelling. 930-1230 every morning, then mwf 3-640 and on tuesday/thursday 315-740.............every saturday from 4-6 i teach two classes. phew, i'm tired. ah, only 7 months to go. tick tock, tick tock.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all comes down to this; we KNOW when we signed the contract that the hours were terrible! Until we stop signing bad contracts, it won't change. Someone will always come along and agree to teach for peanuts, 6 days a week and buku classes each day! Hokwons know this also. We need to get the word out and stand together to make working in korea more fun and better for BOTH sides. You need to sell yourself to the school when asking for less classes and more money. Don't sign just because "it's done that way in korea."
william beckerson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, you should just go to Japan and teach 20 hours a week.

Nothing will change because teachers have absolutley no bargaining power must leave Korea once the visa sponsorship is yanked, and almost all of them are people with massive student loans to pay off.

Think about it: 35 hours a week for $2000 a month teaching Korean kids or 45 hours a week for $1000/ mo flipping burgers. I made my choice. and as crappy as it is, I know it'll be even crappier back home
gbm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, if japan's as easy as you make it sound, why arn't you people teaching in japan?
Grim Ja

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first came to Korea in 1996, fresh out of college, I worked 6am-7am, 10am-1pm, 3pm-8pm. I worked this schedule everyday M-F for a year. I also worked on Saturdays from 2pm-4pm. How much did I make a month 1.5 million. Although this was before IMF and the exchange rate was 800won to the dollar. Regardless it was terrible and I hated my life. I was teaching crazy kids and living in a backwater hamlet. But things have change over the years. Now, I love living in Korea I have an easy job, a great family, and many opportunities. But the reason we made it is because we paid our dues.
william beckerson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBM: My girlfriend is Korean. That's why I havent left yet. But even her hold on me is weakening the longer I stay here.
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're teaching little kids, you shouldn't accept any split-shifts. But if you're instructing the old farts, ya better get used to it.

Personally, there's no way I'd ever work weekends. I'd miss too many K-League football (Busan I'cons) games!
BTM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: That's a disappointing attitude... Reply with quote

Quote:
In that case, you should just go to Japan and teach 20 hours a week.

Nothing will change...

Coming from a moderator, that's a bit of a disappointing attitude. 'Love it or leave it,' eh?

hellofaniceguy's absolutely right. If people keep accepting crap contracts, schools will keep offering crap contracts. Things are changing, slowly (I've been here on and off since '96), and I reckon it's attitudes like William's, I'm sorry to say, that help keep the pace of change down to a crawl.
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My director tried to have me work late Saturday afternoons last year and I said it was inconvenient but I would do it in the short term.

Three months before my old contract ended and my director started wooing me to sign a new contract my Saturday shifts disappeared, and hasn't returned, and I'm four months into the second contract.

I think it helped that I often brought up related news: about Korean health problems with overwork, about how a weekend starts on Friday night, about the poor students who have to study so much more than kids from my country, about the new five-day work week, about hobbies Koreans do when they aren't busy working, etc.

He got the point.

From what my adult students say: To Korean men, work is life. Quantity is more important than quality when it comes to time. Patience and dedication, perserverance, and virtues practiced. (Not exactly common in the workplace of Western cultures I know of).

That said, my director asked me recently if I'd come to work three hours earlier on weekdays to teach a new class of adjummas Shocked
Crois

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday, Wednesday and Thursday - 8:20am to 9am. At 1 school.

Mondays Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays 1pm to 1:50pm. At 2 different schools

Then everyday 2 til 3 preparation at my Hogwon.

Then 3 till 8:20pm teaching.

I have a bad work time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: