Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tutoring co-workers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike123_ca

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: tutoring co-workers Reply with quote

The hagwon were I'm employed has many other teachers who specialize in subjects other than English. Two teachers came to me expressing an interest in learning English and in return they would teach me Korean. I do not see anything wrong with this arrangement. I'm just asking the community if they had a similar arrangement and how did it work out.

The lessons are being held at the hagwon. The only money being spend is used to buy dinner, there is no financial compensation involved.
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun, go for it. Nice chance to make friends.
Derrek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Be careful Reply with quote

That's how I started dating my coworker. She just about knocked me over with her excitement when we met, and asked me to teach her English, then walked me out the door that night. A few "classes" later, and we stopped studying and just had lunches. Soon, we went out on a "Date". Tried to put my arm around her while sitting in the park that night, and she balked. Figured I'd overstepped my bounds, so I was just the "friendly coworker" the rest of the night, then just decided to go home. Then late that night she calls me on my handphone and tells me how much she, "liked my touch".

I took that as a pretty direct hint that our next meeting would be much more interesting, and it definately was. As was the next, and the next, and the next.

Now I can't wait to get out of here, and I have learned never to date a coworker. Makes for a big mess after the breakup.
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>. Uhhhh ... they're essentially getting FREE English lessons Surprised English is a valuable commodity in Korea. Why sell outselves short Rolling Eyes ??? Don't forget either how in due time, as i've now found myself, you COULD be rewarded in letting co-workers (outside of regular working hours) SUCK THE ENGLISH OUT OF YOU by getting ripped off of your bonus 10 months into your contract. Neutral Gotta love that golden Korean handshake.

Also, to that business of dating a co-worker, i would agree ... BIG MISTAKE ... lol !!!

Peace.
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

igotthisguitar wrote:
>. Uhhhh ... they're essentially getting FREE English lessons Surprised English is a valuable commodity in Korea. Why sell outselves short Rolling Eyes ???

Perhaps you missed the part where they would be teaching the person Korean. Essentially the deal is a two way street.
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>. No Sir Captain, i believe i in fact understood the point quite clearly. Maybe you didn't catch mine ??? The reality is English runs by FAR much more at a premium than does Korean. If not then why exactly are we here ??? Razz

Having said this, if any eager beaver wants to exchange free English conversation for Hanguk Mal ... by all means, fill yur boots Rolling Eyes As for myself, in 10 months i've learned all the basic phrases i really need to get by. Much to the chagrin of my Hagwon's "BIG" Cheese, rather than being all chummy in an extra-curricular way, i prefer to enjoy my "FREE" time after work & on the weekends Laughing Ask me a question @ work & hey Juan Jangnim, no problemo ... i'll do my best to help clarify.

Bottom line is, outside of the work place, you're giving it away for free. Having said this, i won't dispute how it MAY be an idea to in typical Asian fashion cheerfully submit to any "suggestions" along these lines made by co-workers or (god forbid) your Prime Dictat ... errr ... rather that is Director Evil or Very Mad
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Free English? I think not! Reply with quote

I don't see any problems with this arrangement. I couldn't imagine turning around and saying "You can teach me Korean, and I'll teach you English but you also have to pay me". Sounds a little greedy. I like the idea of a 'language exchange'.

Have you checked out the price of Korean Language lessons? They are not cheap if you want decent lessons. Try about $1000 Canadian for a term of about 10 weeks. They may be cheaper than English lessons but not as much as you might think.
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>. Kyle, like i said ... if you so very much like "like" the idea of a language exchange, fly @ it. We all know who's by far geting the better end of the deal ... Wink Speaking for myself, i'd simply much rather pursue these matters on terms of my choosing and NOT ones dictated through a coercive framework imposed from outside of my contract. Dunno whether you've noticed, but in addition to charming, cunning & shrewd, Koreans also tend to suffer from a serious case of "small man's complex" hence their arrogant reputation as mean self-centered bullies.

Early upon my arrival i was keen on attending Korean language classes too Rolling Eyes I took in 3 classes, went out and bought an instructional book & never went again. Since then i've been managing just fine.

As far as actually PAYING for Korean language classes, this cracks me up every time i hear about it Laughing The irony of course is that instructors should be paying YOU for English. People i guess either seem to forget or simply don't care about the actual value of what it means to be a native speaker in Korea.

Any Hangul ( has Dave's ESL disabled this typing feature ??? ) i'm THAT keen to learn i merely refer to my sajon, co-workers OR gf. Like the old saying goes ( something which many Korean women are of course keenly aware of ) : "there's no better way to learn a language than by sleeping with the dictionary".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: