Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Churches
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosiecotton

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reformed Church in Gangnam Reply with quote

There is a Reformed Korean church (called Seoul Presbyterian Church) with an English worship service in the Gangnam, Daechi-dong area. The English service is at 11:20 on the first floor. The foreigners/advanced English speakers bible study after worship is really good.

The pastor and his family are second-generation Korean-Americans. Messages are solidly Biblical and Reformed, the worship style traditional. Website is www.seoulem.org. They're one block from Daechi Station.
Quack Addict

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Churches Reply with quote

Keepongoing wrote:
I have not been to church since being in Korea. I am looking for a church that is not legalistic or judgemental. I am a bit backslidin. Either a church or some people to meet with on a regular basis to fellowship with.

Thank you

So you want to a church to make you feel good once a week but won't interfere with all that sinning you like to do, is that right?
Sarah_a_Sojourner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to those who posted links for Reformed (Presbyterian) churches in Seoul. I also found a link for http://www.seoulcovenant.com/, and it looks like a good church too. Their website says they offer English and Korean services, mid-week small groups, mercy ministries, and online sermon recordings.

Anyone know of a Reformed church farther south, like closer to Suwon/Yongin? I've pretty much accepted that I'll be making a commute to Seoul, but it's worth asking anyway, I guess! Very Happy
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah_a_Sojourner wrote:
Thanks to those who posted links for Reformed (Presbyterian) churches in Seoul. I also found a link for http://www.seoulcovenant.com/, and it looks like a good church too. Their website says they offer English and Korean services, mid-week small groups, mercy ministries, and online sermon recordings.

Anyone know of a Reformed church farther south, like closer to Suwon/Yongin? I've pretty much accepted that I'll be making a commute to Seoul, but it's worth asking anyway, I guess! Very Happy

there is the Baptist church in Namun as well as the Catholic church (also Namun).

Both offer English service (Sunday afternoons).

highstreet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is the usual dress attire for Church in Korea? Suit or just dressed nicely...

asking for a friend
blobbo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it there are no church of Scotland services anywhere! Oh well!
phillystreets

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Dress Attire at English Speaking Churches Reply with quote

In most English-speaking churches in Seoul, the dress code is casual (unless it is Easter Sunday). You can wear jeans and a decent looking shirt at most churches with no fear of judgment.

For Korean churches, it is best to dress up when in doubt as many Koreans like to wear suits on Sundays.

Last edited by phillystreets on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
phillystreets

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: List of Churches Reply with quote

The Association of International Ministries (AIM) hosts an annual Good Friday and Christmas service for all English-speaking churches in the greater Seoul area. Go to http://aimkorea.blogspot.com for more info.

There is also a list of English-speaking churches in the Seoul area at the web site above (just in case you don't want to end up at a cult, as there are numerous cults in Korea).

Here are my personal descriptions of each church:

Jubilee Church
Independent and interdenominational, lively contemporary worship. Married and young adult demographic. Two services, about 200-300 people each.

IWE (Youngnak)
Under Youngnak Presbyterian, has both traditional and contemporary worship. Married and older demographic. Two services, about 200 people each.

New Philadelphia
Under Jeilsungdo Presbyterian. Charismatic worship and ministry. College students and young adult demographic. Two campuses, about 60 at one campus, 130 at the other.

Onnuri English Ministry
Under megachurch Onnuri. Lively contemporary worship. Mixed demographic. Two campuses, about 400 at one campus, 1,000 at the other.

Websites to each church can be found at http://aimkorea.blogspot.com.

Although New Philly doesn't seem Reformed because of a charismatic approach to ministry and worship, the lead pastor's theology is soundly Reformed. Wink
Soth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: unitarian church Reply with quote

Hi,

I want to meet some people and I am not so interested in doing it at the bars but I do not subscribe into any of the major religions myths. Smile

I am wondering if anyone have any info abut Unitarian church in Seoul or - even better in the Pucheon.

Thx in advance
Tomek
lonestarteacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know of a Catholic church in Suncheon with or without an English service?
traydragen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Churches in Changwon area or close to Changwon? My wife and I are pretty highly involved in our church in the states and this is definitely a top priority for me to find when moving overseas. Thanks!
paynedaniel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Progressive Christian Church in Seoul Reply with quote

Open Doors Community Church is a progressive, inter-denominational, LGBTQ-affirming congregation meeting weekly for worship in Itaewon. You can check us out at http://krcf.weebly.com.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: