Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian RCMP Criminal Check.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Skippy



Joined: 18 Jan 2003
Location: Daejeon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rayne wrote:
I'm from Vancouver. I read every post here and I'm wondering where exactly did everyone get their CBC for under $30?

On the VPD website, it's $70 for the Police Record Check:
http://vancouver.ca/police/organization/records-checks-fingerprinting/police-records-check.html

And for the life of me, I can't find how long the processing time is anywhere. It keeps saying "go to this page to find out the fee" and when I go to that page it directs me to another page and so on.

I'd really like to get the quick and fast CBC, of course, is that still possible? Since in some previous posts the quick one, the name check, is no longer given out. I'm apply for my CBC at the middle of March in fear of it expiring before my starting work date, but I'm also afraid it will get here to slowly.


Take the ferry go to North Vancouver ., walk up the hill about 15 blocks and go to the RCMP office. Get a name check done, not a fingerprint check. Stop being cheap. You can have quick or you can get it cheap. Remember that does not include notarization and stamp fee for your visa. Count your blessing you are in Vancouver and nearby Korean consulate.

I got mine done in one day a few years ago with some walking and busing around. If it can still be done is the question.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rayne



Joined: 05 Aug 2009

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
rayne wrote:
I'm from Vancouver. I read every post here and I'm wondering where exactly did everyone get their CBC for under $30?

On the VPD website, it's $70 for the Police Record Check:
http://vancouver.ca/police/organization/records-checks-fingerprinting/police-records-check.html

And for the life of me, I can't find how long the processing time is anywhere. It keeps saying "go to this page to find out the fee" and when I go to that page it directs me to another page and so on.

I'd really like to get the quick and fast CBC, of course, is that still possible? Since in some previous posts the quick one, the name check, is no longer given out. I'm apply for my CBC at the middle of March in fear of it expiring before my starting work date, but I'm also afraid it will get here to slowly.


Take the ferry go to North Vancouver ., walk up the hill about 15 blocks and go to the RCMP office. Get a name check done, not a fingerprint check. Stop being cheap. You can have quick or you can get it cheap. Remember that does not include notarization and stamp fee for your visa. Count your blessing you are in Vancouver and nearby Korean consulate.

I got mine done in one day a few years ago with some walking and busing around. If it can still be done is the question.


I appreciate the information you provided me, but the rudeness is unnecessary. I honestly wasn't being cheap, it's just that I saw that people were getting a cheaper price and I won't mind paying the cheaper price over the more expensive one. I never did say I wasn't willing to pay the $70. I didn't mention this, but I need two CBC (applying for EPIK and GEPIK), so it does add up. But in the end, having the job is more important.

I know Dave's is notorious for negativity, but sometimes I wonder why people who give really good information surround it with an air of negativity. It actually really bothers me because I sincerely want to thank them for their help, but at the same time, I get annoyed and sometimes even angry when the information is surrounded by snarky comments, rude jokes, and insults that usually come out of nowhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Skippy



Joined: 18 Jan 2003
Location: Daejeon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Internet have you been here long? Negativity and griping is all part of the fun. Did I not provide some help and info with my criticism. I provided you with another option. And it is cheaper.

http://bc.rcmp.ca/ViewPage.action?languageId=1&siteNodeId=29&contentId=218

A warning is that I think RCMP is going to push for the long wait fingerprint check. Maybe new laws. If you do try for a RCMP check bring a print out of the Korean Vancouver Consulate check page or even you EPIK documents that ask for a check. Another hint from this rude person is you DO NOT need a VSS check. There I saved you another 25 dollars.

Well if you had looked at everything, you would have found that the RCMP name check might be an option and is cheaper. Also in the end you might need two CRCs. But here is a hint, get one check done and get it copy/notarized twice or as many times as you want. Go to the Korean consulate and get the notarized copies verified. Should cost about 5 bucks for each copy verified. That does not include notarization cost. That should be sufficient for the government. Of course getting an extra one is fine, my advice is go for one local. Actually some notaries might lower the cost for extra copies or do an extra copy for free.

Actually thinking about it, why do you need two checks? You are only getting one VISA? Yes you are applying to two different programs, but only one will choose you in the end. I think each program just wants to be sure you have the CRC ready.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rayne



Joined: 05 Aug 2009

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Welcome to the Internet have you been here long? Negativity and griping is all part of the fun. Did I not provide some help and info with my criticism. I provided you with another option. And it is cheaper.


Don't worry about me, I'm not new to the Internet. I'm not new to this sort of reply either, people always give the same, snarky, "Welcome to the Internet" comment. I personally don't think negativity is fun. There's definitely lots of funny bantering back in forth out there that's pretty harmless, but accusing people of stuff out of no where isn't. Your comment wasn't as terrible as others out there, but when I read my reaction was, "that was some good info he gave me, it sucks that he weaved in some mean comments in there for no apparent reason." When people just troll, I can ignore them easily by now, but when people make what could have been a good post and ruin it by throwing in negativity it annoys me. I think maybe it's because, in the back of my head, I'm thinking, "damn, even intellectual people are becoming total jerks." There are trolls who like to ruin people's days, there are good people who provide useful information, and now there are a weird combination of both.
Yes, you did provide help and info, which I said I appreciated in my previous post.

Skippy wrote:

Another hint from this rude person is you DO NOT need a VSS check. There I saved you another 25 dollars.


I did read through this whole thread and I already know that the VSS is not necessary. I didn't mention the VSS at all. Before I read this thread I already knew the VSS was not necessary, which is why I never mentioned it.

Skippy wrote:

Well if you had looked at everything, you would have found that the RCMP name check might be an option and is cheaper. Also in the end you might need two CRCs. But here is a hint, get one check done and get it copy/notarized twice or as many times as you want. Go to the Korean consulate and get the notarized copies verified. Should cost about 5 bucks for each copy verified. That does not include notarization cost. That should be sufficient for the government. Of course getting an extra one is fine, my advice is go for one local. Actually some notaries might lower the cost for extra copies or do an extra copy for free.


Again, I read through the whole thread and people have mentioned that the name check is no longer available. I mentioned this in my first post on this thread.
I think you are the one who didn't read everything, you definitely didn't read all of my post. I didn't mention the VSS and I already said that I mentioned in my post that I knew the name check isn't being done anymore.

Skippy wrote:

Actually thinking about it, why do you need two checks? You are only getting one VISA? Yes you are applying to two different programs, but only one will choose you in the end. I think each program just wants to be sure you have the CRC ready.


I am applying for EPIK in April and will most likely be sending my documents (which include the original CRC) in May. I don't think I will get my NOA until June/July. I will be applying to GEPIK maybe at around May, and I won't send my documents until I get the job, whenever that may be. I'm doing this because my boyfriend and friends live in Seoul and if I don't get into Seoul or Incheon for EPIK, I would have to decline and cross my fingers for GEPIK. And if I can't find a good job for GEPIK, I'll have to bank on EPIK. That's why I need two original ones, if one or the other doesn't work out, I'll have a back up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Skippy



Joined: 18 Jan 2003
Location: Daejeon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty certain the name check is fine from the RCMP. That is what the Vancouver Police check would be. The problem is name checks come with restrictions. First off if you are overseas like Korea a name check can not be done, it has to be fingerprint. Name check is really only available to people who live in Canada and having an address proving you live there.

Also I think the Korean consulate will take it. As long they stamp it, it's fine.

Still some things have changed with name checks in the last couple of years. If there is a conflict with you name or birthdate they will ask you to go the fingerprint route. Let's hope your name and birthdate do not conflict with some criminals. Plus maybe the processing time are a bit longer too. The ones I did years ago took about a couple of hours, to get. I think I have heard people say it might take a couple of days or weeks to get. Probably depends upon the detachment size.

So you have looked at THIS thread. Have you looked at the couple hundred other ones on CRCs. Heck a new one is created about every week in relation to CRCs.

Really they ask for one CRC check for each application? How about Two degrees? Two passports? Once again get one CRC, get it copied twice and notarized. Get the Korean Consulate to verify each copy. That should be acceptable. If anybody else says otherwise I suspect is making the process complicated. Actually that is par for course in Korea. Over prepare!

If you submit it they will take it. I renewed recently, I had extra paperwork, immi office still took it. CRC I could understand. But my degree and transcript have not changed. Heck if I submitted my birth certificate and grade 4 report card I bet they would have taken them too.

So getting extra can always be helpful. But in the end I think you will be fine with one and extra notarized/verified copies. Consider the same with other paperwork like transcripts. I once heard some had used 4 transcripts in one visa application. Every government department seemed to need one.

I like being snarky as it separates the idiots from the herd. Plus it helps get people to either think or go away. Through I will apologize a little to you. You are asking intelligent questions and well formed posts. My first impression on your posts was is "I want quick and cheap CRC check." I found in life you can can get either but not both. Plus throw in your IN Vancouver. You are set! Some leg work and you are done. I thought a RCMP in Vancouver would be a no brainer. I assumed you knew! Well you now what happens when you assume....

Still get on the bus or take the ferry. Go to the North Van detachment and try. If things get difficult or you get a "no" then try for the Vancouver Police check. All you have done is wasted some time and few bucks bus fare. Heck pick up the phone and make a call and save even further.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rayne



Joined: 05 Aug 2009

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this doesn't sound like an excuse, but it's hard for me to call. I have either classes or volunteer work during business hours and I've left messages but then they would call me while I'm in class. (I actually had to leave in the middle of class in order to make the calls, and they have called me back while I was still in class... I wish I had voicemail) So I've been researching a lot online. I've read quite a few CRC-related threads, but I'm sure I haven't read every single one. Unfortunately, I get a lot of information mixed up, especially if people are talking about different countries' procedures in one thread. And there are other threads that are outdated, even this one has some outdated info.

EPIK and GEPIK are separate programs, so I would need two of everything. They won't send me things back if I asked them to. For both, you need to send the originals with the notarized copies, so I can't do what you suggested. Believe me, I have already considered what you suggested. I've called some notary publics and some of their prices are nuts. $60 per signature from one guy. Someone on another thread told me his was $17, thankfully, so I'm going to look for that notary public. I wish EPIK gave people their NOA right away, then I could hold out on applying to GEPIK if I didn't get in.

The RCMP website is really annoying for me to navigate for some reason. I'm a bit embarrassed because I'm known amongst my friends and professors for being a excellent researcher, online and offline. Just yesterday I was looking for something on the website and it said to go to this link to find more information, and on that page it told me to go to another page for that information and on that page, there was nothing related to the information I was looking for.
The link you gave me was EXTREMELY helpful, I couldn't find the RCMP office for Vancouver through the RCMP website OR google, so I started looking up my local VPD and the prices from the CRC where different ($70 vs. $25 as stated in the RCMP website) and I was worried that it may be a different thing, or it was only available in a package of the CRC along with other things I don't need.
When you told me to go to North Vancouver, I was worried that I could not do that because when I got a job as an after school teacher for refugee students, I needed a CRC but I was only allowed to get it through a Vancouver detachment and not a Burnaby one (or anywhere else), since my residence is in Vancouver. (I ended up turning down the job though, so I never got the CRC.)

Since I saw that other people where getting their CRC cheap and quick, I wanted to see if I could too! I don't think I was being unreasonable in relation to this thread. It's like hearing that something got something that's normally expensive and time-consuming to get really quickly and for a good price. I would ask that someone for more information.

I used to be the most sarcastic person anyone can ever meet. I was literally called the queen of sarcasm from elementary to high school. My sarcastic sense of humor was seriously just for laughs and I didn't realize how much of a jerk I may have seemed to other people, especially to people who honestly don't get sarcasm. So, I guess the me from high school would get how you're coming across. I used to respond with, "jeeze, I'm just being sarcastic/joking around, don't take it personally" but people do take it personally and sometimes they have the right to no matter if I was joking or not.
But the only reason I expressed all that was because I just felt kind of disappointed/annoyed I guess? I had no intention of changing how you are, if your snarky comments make you happy then do what you have to do. It's just that there is a different between a negative/borderline insulting snarky comment and a "...ahhh! I see what he did there. Hahaha" comment. I'm just glad this didn't turn into a stupid Internet argument where someone ended up not being able to think of a good response and resorts to pointing out any minor spelling/grammar mistake and create a whole new argument about how the English language should be used on the Internet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Skippy



Joined: 18 Jan 2003
Location: Daejeon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rayne wrote:
I'm just glad this didn't turn into a stupid Internet argument where someone ended up not being able to think of a good response and resorts to pointing out any minor spelling/grammar mistake and create a whole new argument about how the English language should be used on the Internet.


Careful an unwritten rule of Dave's is spelling and grammar counts. More so when you brink up how good of a teacher you are.

Ya the RCMP sites are a little strange. I found out a time ago, that each area/detachment can have a separate webpage (that looks like the others). Now maybe the North Van one will refuse you because you do not live there. Then try the nearest. Also when I said call is call the detachment not the national number.

Well your work schedule sucks. But you will have to make the sacrifice or effort if you want to work here.

Good Luck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rayne



Joined: 05 Aug 2009

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
rayne wrote:
I'm just glad this didn't turn into a stupid Internet argument where someone ended up not being able to think of a good response and resorts to pointing out any minor spelling/grammar mistake and create a whole new argument about how the English language should be used on the Internet.


Careful an unwritten rule of Dave's is spelling and grammar counts. More so when you brink up how good of a teacher you are.

Ya the RCMP sites are a little strange. I found out a time ago, that each area/detachment can have a separate webpage (that looks like the others). Now maybe the North Van one will refuse you because you do not live there. Then try the nearest. Also when I said call is call the detachment not the national number.

Well your work schedule sucks. But you will have to make the sacrifice or effort if you want to work here.

Good Luck.


I can be quite the spelling/grammar nazi. But the "you used 'your' instead of 'you're', therefore your argument is invalid and you are an incompetent human being" arguments are just as stupid as making a simple grammar mistake. That being said, I have accidentally typed the wrong thing even though I knew difference. So I give people a benefit of a doubt.

I live closer to a Burnaby detachment so I contacted them and they turned me away since I live in Vancouver, I assume it will be the same for North Vancouver.

Thanks, the CRC seems to be one the most grueling parts of the process, I hope it will go as smoothly as possible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Skippy



Joined: 18 Jan 2003
Location: Daejeon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing some research it looks like some detachments are regional. Thus you have to live in an area to get it.... BUT since you are applying for another country visa the RCMP E division is an option which the Van police say is fine.
http://vancouver.ca/police/organization/records-checks-fingerprinting/police-certificate-for-visa.html

So try here.

http://bc.rcmp.ca/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=29&languageId=1&contentId=218

Looks cheap 25.00 dollars. Plus closer the Burnaby. Once again I would get a print out from the either the Korean Consulate site or Hi-Korea government site on requirments for E-2 visa. Maybe even the EPIK and GEPIK pages might be useful.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
watergirl



Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Location: Ansan, south korea

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: canadians renewing e2 visa rcmp check or no? Reply with quote

Ok so I'm renewing my e2 visa and according to seoul immigration it should say rcmp on it but the vancouver consulate says all vancouver res's are submitting local vancouver ones and they are all being accepted. I even called a big vancouver recruiter who hires for SMOE and he said most are accepted except once, a Newfoundland crc which did do the national but didn't have it mentinoed clearly on the crc.

Please, update from anyone who got a vancouver crc lately, did seoul imiigration accept it and on the completed CRC, does it actually say 'rcmp' national ckeck? because if it does, then I think I'm fine.

because according to the canadian consulate here in Seoul, only rcmp crcs are accepted.

Which is strange, because, as of yesterday the korean consulate said they always process Vancouver CRCs. so maybe there are different rules depending on where you are applying? Or the rcmp requirement is new?

Anyone, in the last month renewed their e2 visa???

Honeslty, I think i'll just order both because, the wait times for the RCMP seem unbelievable. PS: I did orignally submit a national one!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ttompatz



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Location: Kwangju, South Korea

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: canadians renewing e2 visa rcmp check or no? Reply with quote

watergirl wrote:
Ok so I'm renewing my e2 visa and according to seoul immigration it should say rcmp on it but the vancouver consulate says all vancouver res's are submitting local vancouver ones and they are all being accepted. I even called a big vancouver recruiter who hires for SMOE and he said most are accepted except once, a Newfoundland crc which did do the national but didn't have it mentinoed clearly on the crc.

Please, update from anyone who got a vancouver crc lately, did seoul imiigration accept it and on the completed CRC, does it actually say 'rcmp' national ckeck? because if it does, then I think I'm fine.

because according to the canadian consulate here in Seoul, only rcmp crcs are accepted.

Which is strange, because, as of yesterday the korean consulate said they always process Vancouver CRCs. so maybe there are different rules depending on where you are applying? Or the rcmp requirement is new?

Anyone, in the last month renewed their e2 visa???

Honeslty, I think i'll just order both because, the wait times for the RCMP seem unbelievable. PS: I did orignally submit a national one!!


Are you even sure that you need a new one for Kimmi?

Most Canadian E2s done for jobs starting in/after 2009 already had a CBC with a consular or embassy certification.

The MOE will accept a kimmi issued copy of the one on file so a new one isn't needed for them.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
watergirl



Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Location: Ansan, south korea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me, I checked with immigration in person.
I did submit a CRC and it was national (done with the Vancouver Police dept not the RCMP) but, my guess, is that Korean immigration didn't keep track of who submitted a national or just a local check at the time. They simply recorded that the check was done. At the time I orginally came here, Korean immigration didn't specify that the check had to be national.

By the way, with the Vancouver Police department anyhow, it isn't automatically national. Some people merely request a local check done.


Anyways, I've gotten my check done, and we'll see if it works! the Seoul immigration hotline, Vancouver consulate, and one of the major recruiters in Vancovuer all Know and say the Vanoucver national chec is fine, BUT the Canadian embassy and 1 person who I just called back at the Korean consulate in Vancouver didn't seem to understand that a natinoal, RCMP check can be done with major city departments as well.

Really, dissapointed with the Canadian embassy. My guess is that they can only 'notarize' (actually they just make you swear an affadavit) Federal , re:rcmp issued documents.

Whatsmore, apparently as I understand it, it is worse to get the RCMP check done as any 'offending' people with charges against but no convictions yet (haven't had a trial yet etc. ) will not always register on the national database as there is a delay with the RCMP database (as we have seen I guess.. 5 months!). Because, the police department of the individual's residency maintains the records for that person.

I know I'm going on here, and venting, but really, the Canadian Embassy???? not understanding the Canadian system.

Ok, hah. I feel better at any rate. And a future apology to all the grammar connaisseurs because I have not at all even corrected my typos.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rayne



Joined: 05 Aug 2009

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, for the last two weeks, I have been in the process of attempting to get a CRC. I've been calling and reading many recent threads regarding Canadian/Vancouver CRCs.

Summary of what happened:
- Called the RCMP. They said I can only get a check done through VPD. He Told me it costs $67 and to go to Cambie and West 5th. He also said one at 3585 Graveley Street will do it too. He also suggested Commissionaires (I've read through a lot of threads about it, most people's CRC through Commissionaires was accepted, but a handful was not).

-VPD detachments do not have their own phone numbers, so I called 311. The first person told me that I should go to 2120 Cambie and the CRC and fingerprinting service is separate (!!!) She said it will cost $70 for the CRC and $50 for the fingerprinting service. She suggested not to do a name check... I think she was hinting that they don't do name checks.

-I decided to call 311 a couple of times to confirm. 2nd person says that CRC and fingerprinting is separate and to go to Cambie for the fingerprinting and Graveley for the CRC. (?!?!?!?)

-Called 311 again. Now this person says I can do it at the same place, the Graveley location, and it's $70 for the CRC and $70 for the fingerprinting.

My head is really spinning right now. I kind of want to take the risk and get a Commissionaires. In other threads, it seems that people from Vancouver who got Commissionaires all got accepted, but a couple of people from Toronto or some other place did not get theirs accepted.

Or maybe I should play it safe (whatever that means in this crazy circumstance) and go to the Graveley detachment, get the check and if that check doesn't work out then I'll think of my next move.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
watergirl



Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Location: Ansan, south korea

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
So my crc from the Vancovuer police department was accepted wth no problems from seoul immigration!
I don't htink it matters which Vancovuer location you go to. I think, if you put the application in at the gravely street location, they forward it to the cambie. just go to whichever is closesst to you.
The commissionaires are a third party, private police (i think they're retired police officers etc) so technically, you should be getting one through the VPD. Mine only took about 11 days.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rayne



Joined: 05 Aug 2009

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watergirl wrote:
Hi
So my crc from the Vancovuer police department was accepted wth no problems from seoul immigration!
I don't htink it matters which Vancovuer location you go to. I think, if you put the application in at the gravely street location, they forward it to the cambie. just go to whichever is closesst to you.
The commissionaires are a third party, private police (i think they're retired police officers etc) so technically, you should be getting one through the VPD. Mine only took about 11 days.


I went to the Cambie location maybe a week and a half ago to two weeks ago. I went in, filled out the form, said it was for personal use, paid and left. They didn't ask for fingerprints. I expected to give fingerprints but I guess I don't have to since I didn't get the Vulnerable Sector Check. Was the process the same for you?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International