Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E-1 Work Permit - Criminal Record Check?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: E-1 Work Permit - Criminal Record Check? Reply with quote

I'm curious if an E-1 requires a criminal record check?

I've heard and read both Yes and No.

Someone said that if one is applying for an E-1 work permit for the first time, they are required to have the criminal record check completed as part of the E-1 application process.

However, I was hired by two different universities in the last few years, one in Seoul and the other in Daegu, and neither required a criminal record check for the E-1.

Then last week at the Korean consulate, the Korean clerk I spoke with was very vague and just said that if it was for teaching English, it required a criminal record check but also said it was up to the university and immigration. So she never really gave me a firm answer.

Can anyone here confirm with any certainty the requirement?
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: E-1 Work Permit - Criminal Record Check? Reply with quote

Shimokitazawa wrote:
I'm curious if an E-1 requires a criminal record check?

I've heard and read both Yes and No.

Someone said that if one is applying for an E-1 work permit for the first time, they are required to have the criminal record check completed as part of the E-1 application process.

However, I was hired by two different universities in the last few years, one in Seoul and the other in Daegu, and neither required a criminal record check for the E-1.

Then last week at the Korean consulate, the Korean clerk I spoke with was very vague and just said that if it was for teaching English, it required a criminal record check but also said it was up to the university and immigration. So she never really gave me a firm answer.

Can anyone here confirm with any certainty the requirement?

What Korean Consulate? In Japan? And, you would only go there after having received the confirmation of Visa Issuance Number from the new university's immigration office. And, if you have a confirmation number, then that shows the Korean Consulate that you have met all of the requirments to get a new E-1 Visa according to the immigration office in charge of your new school. This post has me 100% lost.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

University and on an E1 (visiting professor) = no, not for immigration but the employer may or may not ask for it.

University and on an E2 (teacher of foreign languages (English)) = yes, it is an immigration requirement regardless of whether it is your 1st or 21st E2.

Last edited by ttompatz on Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skippy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP is based in BC so Vancouver consulate.

According to the HiKorea site - no an E-1 does not need a CRC...
BUT... The school or university may ask for one. Also would not be surprised if an Immigration official asked for it. Also if dealing with children - camps, extra classes, it might be needed. Better to have it ready for that just in case and not have it when the do decide to surprise you,

Also asking the consulate on immigration matters is not there major forte - so they will give generic answers or no answers. For indepth questions in immigration or education it would be best to look at the said departments web sites or ask them.

Besides did you not already get the check? Something appear?
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: E-1 Work Permit - Criminal Record Check? Reply with quote

drcrazy wrote:
This post has me 100% lost.

I've noticed that some universities who have hired me under an E-1 work permit status have not required a criminal record check. However, a university I recently dealt with claimed that it was mandatory.

The Korean clerk at the *Vancouver* Korean consulate gave a vague answer and said that it was up to the university and immigration.
asutrack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who actually has dealt with this 2x now and (my wife is as well) here's what I know:

E-1 is NOT required by immigration however more and more universities are requiring them and stating that it is a government requirement. Which government body, still seems unclear to me but it is NOT immigration.

If anybody is able to provide additional info on what (if any) gov't office is requiring CBC for E-1's I would like to know so the next time I am asked for the CBC I'll know if it really is required or not.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asutrack wrote:
As someone who actually has dealt with this 2x now and (my wife is as well) here's what I know:

E-1 is NOT required by immigration however more and more universities are requiring them and stating that it is a government requirement. Which government body, still seems unclear to me but it is NOT immigration.

If anybody is able to provide additional info on what (if any) gov't office is requiring CBC for E-1's I would like to know so the next time I am asked for the CBC I'll know if it really is required or not.

Right. I'm at the Korean consulate right now and the clerk told me to take the issue up with Korean Immigration. At least, that's the party line.

Like I said, other universities have no needed it to process my E-1, while a recent university claimed it was required for an E-1.
Skippy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you expect people/Uni adminstrators to be experts on immigration policies and law! Most Universities deal with immigration about twice a year and they deal with a wide varieties of visas from E-2, E-1, F-4, C-4, etc. Plus who does the leg work can change year to year. So expect the person you are dealing with to have a general knowledge of the process, hopefully. Expect gaps of knowledge and shortcuts. Why ask for each person to do a certain routine, when you can ask all applicants to do one routine, it is easier.

I describe it as thus. For many officials and people the thinking and process will be. You need to do A, then B, then C". You will not often get the "You need to do A, BUT F is a possibility. After A or F is done, then you can EITHER do C or D. If C is problem then MAYBE it is possible to try with Z"

A piece of advice is you can argue with a place about what is required, but do not be surprised if they then decide to either refuse to listen to you or even just not hire you.

I have a suspicion that places like Universities are asking for a criminal record because Education Department has got into the game of verification of teachers. So Universities might ask because Ministry of Education might want to make sure Professor is clean. Also many Universities have programs that might include children.

Also Universities might ask, well because they want to! They are the ones doing the hiring. If they want a Masters of Education, they can ask. If they want to do drug testing every month, ok. If they want a Christian, OK. I have seen Universities asking for a reference from a pastor! Universities also have images to uphold. So if they can say all are teachers/professors have degrees and are respectable people with no criminal past.

In the end it is better to go along to get along.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a doubt, this is all still one big cluster f***, with many people still confused about apostille vs. notorization, and types of different criminal background checks vs. criminal record certificates, and whether fingerprints are required, etc.

My guess is that it's going to take at least another 3 years for all involved to finally figure it out.
calicoe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the next question is: do E-1 visas need to apostille their degrees?
Skippy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimokitazawa wrote:
Without a doubt, this is all still one big cluster f***, with many people still confused about apostille vs. notorization, and types of different criminal background checks vs. criminal record certificates, and whether fingerprints are required, etc.

My guess is that it's going to take at least another 3 years for all involved to finally figure it out.

Really! This is typical of government around the world. Confusing, convoluted, and constantly changing. True the first time I heard about apostille I was confused. I kept thinking of John, Mark, Judas, etc. Some reading and the use of google wow I figured it out. Took all of ten minutes. Till I found out as a Canadian I do not do it (same with you Shimo), we have a different process. So with some more use of my brain power I fiqured out how to do it. Once again Shim you are near the Vancouver Consulate. Take a peak at the other Canadian consulate, those ones are vague and confusing, I think the Montreal Consulate has 4 lines about processing the CRC. The Vancouver one is pretty specific.

So you think three years (yes I understand you are being facetious) to figure this out. Well maybe for you... You have been a member since 2007, done at least one contract here in Korea. Have a good amount of posts... so you read Dave's. In all that time you have done , read about or heard about SEALED TRANSCRIPT! It has been in place since umm 2004. That one comes up ALL the time here!

Shimo you seem intelligent, you have taught at University, me all my many years - just hagwons and kids. You write clear posts, seems to ask good questions. To be a teacher you must of went to University and learned such things as research, logic, and reading. But you some how seem to take a relatively basic but strange process and muck it up OR it make it more difficult then it should be. You sir are a dichotomy.

As to the E-1 needing a apostilled/verified degree. I think more use of my bottom tier University trained brain. Uhhhh - yes.

Please take a look this site. It is full of useful information. Layout is a little confusing but the info is there. PLUS IN ENGLISH!
http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/main_en.pt
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
You have been a member since 2007, done at least one contract here in Korea. Have a good amount of posts... so you read Dave's. In all that time you have done , read about or heard about SEALED TRANSCRIPT! It has been in place since umm 2004. That one comes up ALL the time here!

Skippy,

I DID give the Korean consulate official, sealed copies of my academic transcripts!!!

Where I made a mistake was that I had some photocopies of my academic transcripts notarized and included them in with the documents to be verified. The clerk didn't need them. No big deal and they kept my official, sealed academic transcripts.

If you think people are not still confused by this mess, you're wrong. Like I said, many recruiters, head teachers, Korean school staff and police clerks are still making mistakes with this and giving newly hired teachers bad information.

To give you an example, my contact at my new school, a British teacher, originally told me to go to the Korean consulate and get my degree and transcripts apostilled by the Korean consulate staff! Nice. This is a guy who's been teaching in Korea, on an E-1, for most of the past decade. Yet he still fuggered it up by giving me bad information.

Many people in key positions are still getting this stuff wrong, partly because it's done differently in different countries and even within a single country it can be done various ways (i.e., police criminal record / certificate checks).
Skippy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, you just did something a little wrong and likely spent some money. Still I am surprised because the instruction of the consulate site are clear.

Quote:
Original university degree
A photocopy of university degree which has been notarized by a notary public within our jurisdiction (BC, AB, SK, Yukon, NWT)
The following items MUST be included by the Notary Public:
Official Cover Letter of the Notary Public
Date of Notarization
Official Seal of the Notary Public
Full name of the Notary Public
Signature of the Notary Public
Full contact information of the Notary Public including telephone number and address

One sealed university transcript (must be most recently issued and it will NOT be returned) <---- NOTICE THE NO TAB AS THIS IS NOT PART OF THE LIST OF THINGS TO BE NOTARIZED.
Fee: Cdn $4.00 per degree copy (cash only)
The applicant�s passport

I like when people help me but I try to follow the old adage. "Trust but verify". I am so surprised at how many people I see get into trouble because they the just blindly listen to their recruiter, school, or friend. "Yes, 3.3 percent tax is normal."
"You will be in the bustling metropolis of Chonan"
"Yes, we will get you health insurance and we have registered you with pension"
"Just send us your papers, and we will get you a job" in Mokpo teaching for 1.8 million won for 140 hours a month.
"We will help you everystep of the way" till we get paid by the school we placed you at.

Piece of advice is I think every person should join the Church of Murphy. As I dedicated Murphyest I understand the first commandment. If anything can go wrong it will. Put the ravages Murphy can blocked by preparing, double checking, doing thinks yourself if possible, and being a little paranoid.

I used to have a sort of joke! Who knew more about immigration, visa process, and other foreigner laws.

A) A recruiter
B) Hagwon Owner/Boss
C) A expat who has been here 6 months.
D) Korean coteacher

C of course. But my mind has changed on that, the current couple years has seen a lowering of capability and intelligence of the current teachers. I blame Facebook.

True the process changes yearly. Each country is different. The information is not always propagated timely. Yet it is still not that hard. Ok maybe a little. There is the general picture. Person will need passport, criminal record check, degree, job offer, etc. From there some things will need to be verified or of a certain type. Then each country will be different. Getting each item has a different process.

Once again it is surprising what people expect other people to know. Why should a Korean Public School English teacher need to now about visa process for a Canadian teacher. Do you know the requirements for a Korea student to come to Canada. If not, why not? Because it is not a priority in your life and something that does not come up often. Same with many officials, coworkers, teachers, because it is not important to them. It is important for ME, so what do I do, I KEEP ABREAST (giggle) of Information that can effect me. Hmm it has been a few months since I checked the Vancouver Consulate site, lets spend 10 minutes and see what is new.

Want life to go easier- understand human nature. People will be fucked to deal with you, even if it is their job. The path of least resistance is the norm. Have a question - expect either one of three answers. Yes, no, or I don't know. Ok you can get more info and better answers, the key is to know how to ask? Also the more you do your own work the more likely you will get help, yes strange. People hate having to hand hold or help along other people, because once again - people are LAZY. The more you make a task easy for a person, or quicker the likely it will be done. That is why I dumb things down, ask specific questions, do preresearch, and be quick if possible.

Also to show my age! Back in the old days, we did not have that new fangled Internet. Actually I did, but finding English info was next to impossible or if there was confusing or laughable. People have more resources and info available to them now. Yet most seem to not figure out to use it or find it. 10 years ago finding a English speaking immigration officer was mannha from heaven. Now it is common.

The more I think of it, I am glad more people are finding it complicated, less people will come, thus making the market better, wages go up If some one can not find out how to do their own work with spending some effort then the deserve to fail.

(Bloody TAB keeps refusing to show it self)
calicoe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Shimokitazawa wrote:

Shimo you seem intelligent, you have taught at University, me all my many years - just hagwons and kids.

As to the E-1 needing a apostilled/verified degree. I think more use of my bottom tier University trained brain. Uhhhh - yes.

Wow, no need to get nasty or snappy, like some poor, chronic sufferer of small dog syndrome. I'm really happy that your big, impressive brain learned how to use google - good boy! - but, as anyone who is actually pursuing an E-1 visa knows, a lot of the process depends on your uni, and sometimes there is conflicting information even within immigration itself. Therefore, it is quite logical that people who actually experience the process rather than read about it would want to come here and share various experiences doing it. Sorry if we somehow upset your territorial claim, lol.
Skippy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calicoe wrote:
Skippy wrote:
Shimokitazawa wrote:

Shimo you seem intelligent, you have taught at University, me all my many years - just hagwons and kids.

Wow, no need to get nasty or snappy, like some poor, chronic sufferer of small dog syndrome. I'm really happy that your big, impressive brain learned how to use google - good boy! - but, as anyone who is actually pursuing an E-1 visa knows, a lot of the process depends on your uni, and sometimes there is conflicting information even within immigration itself. Therefore, it is quite logical that people who actually experience the process rather than read about it would want to come here and share various experiences doing it. Sorry if we somehow upset your territorial claim, lol.

Ha I love it small dog syndrome. In a verbose mood today.
Ya maybe I am off my meds today but it just bothers me to see people who ask questions that are pretty much simple to answer.

Or people who you would think could figure something out, can't.

Or somebody that should know what to do by now.

Maybe I am just annoyed because I found getting my CRC an paperwork a bit difficult. And here you are relatively close to Vancouver and in Canada. Yet you find it difficult to get the CRC and paperwork done!

Well not to be the complete yappy dog some advice what I have found when it comes to deal with the whole visa process.

1) There is more then one way to do it. Sometimes shortcuts and other ways are there. But as it they work depends up time of day, country or origin, or even which planet is in ascension. IE. Criminal Record Check in Canada.
2) Take how one person does it and verify it. You will hear tales of "my friend only....
3) Over prepare! You will be surprised who will want what. It is better to waste a 100 dollars then lose your mind running around getting it.
4) Everything will be pretty general. Still the specifics will matter a bit and might bite you in the ass. Get the general advice on what to do from people (ttompatz gives great general). You will have figure out the specifics (start a researching).
5) Do not expect logic when dealing with bureaucrats. Korea is it's unique crazy.
6) The only person you can rely on is yourself. Trust your recruiter or school whitey wrangler to handle everything, expect troubles and screw ups.
7) Sometimes just doing it will get it done. You will be surprised that nothing to worry about and the immi just accepted everything.
Cool Unless you are really pressed for time or money do not fight about the details. Just get it done to go along.
9) Language barrier, inability to think laterally, laziness will be all around. To overcome you must dumb it down, show step by step multiple times and do all the work yourself.
10) Never stop! Welcome to ESL teaching it will be constantly changing. Education and learning never stops Korea and ESL is just a new subject. Check back here often. Bookmark the governments sites and peak at once a month. Read these boards. Do not want to do do that, you can then come back and whine to us when something goes wrong and maybe somebody will help.
11) Embrace your inner boyscout. Always prepare. Only have one transcript, spend a few bucks and get a couple more. Think you might stay another year. Might be a good idea to look into renewing your passport and getting another CRC. Do not embrace your inner Korean and do everything last minute.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: