Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New passport and visa issuance number

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sbp59



Joined: 01 Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere in SK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: New passport and visa issuance number Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for my new passport to arrive in Canada. My new employer needs my documents to apply for the visa issuance number in Korea. It's for an E-7 visa, at an international school position.

Obviously, when you get a new passport your passport number changes which I think might be a problem.

So, is it possible to send a photocopy of my previous passport using my old passport number for the visa issuance number on the korean side and once my new passport arrives get my new visa put into it in Canada?

My new employer wants my documents asap so he can apply for the visa, so I don't want to wait for the new passport to come if I don't have to.

Hopefully someone can help and has experience with this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheUrbanMyth



Joined: 28 Jan 2003
Location: It's not a superiority complex when you really are superior

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your old passport has expired that is likely to be noted by the Immigration department and refused. Not likely they will okay it without wanting to know the expiry date as well.

In fact even if your old passport is valid but has less than six months validity...it may well be refused.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sbp59



Joined: 01 Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere in SK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
If your old passport has expired that is likely to be noted by the Immigration department and refused. Not likely they will okay it without wanting to know the expiry date as well.

In fact even if your old passport is valid but has less than six months validity...it may well be refused.


Yeah, it wasn't expired, it had 5 months left on it when I sent it in for renewal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ttompatz



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Location: Kwangju, South Korea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbp59 wrote:
TheUrbanMyth wrote:
If your old passport has expired that is likely to be noted by the Immigration department and refused. Not likely they will okay it without wanting to know the expiry date as well.

In fact even if your old passport is valid but has less than six months validity...it may well be refused.


Yeah, it wasn't expired, it had 5 months left on it when I sent it in for renewal.


Less than 6 months remaining and a new visa application (visa or visa confirmation number application) it would be refused anyway.

20 days (faster if you went to the passport office) isn't that long to wait.

(side note to others: You should renew your passport when it hits its 4th birthday so you don't end up with problems like this. International travel by Canadians (except to the states) in not usually possible with less than 6 months validity on a passport.

.
.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sbp59



Joined: 01 Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere in SK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
sbp59 wrote:
TheUrbanMyth wrote:
If your old passport has expired that is likely to be noted by the Immigration department and refused. Not likely they will okay it without wanting to know the expiry date as well.

In fact even if your old passport is valid but has less than six months validity...it may well be refused.


Yeah, it wasn't expired, it had 5 months left on it when I sent it in for renewal.


Less than 6 months remaining and a new visa application (visa or visa confirmation number application) it would be refused anyway.

20 days (faster if you went to the passport office) isn't that long to wait.

(side note to others: You should renew your passport when it hits its 4th birthday so you don't end up with problems like this. International travel by Canadians (except to the states) in not usually possible with less than 6 months validity on a passport.

.
.


Yeah it appears I learned this the hard way. Sending it in at 5 months remaining was too late. It sure would be nice if they would make passports valid for 10 years instead of 5, it's too short a time period. I wish I could have just went to the passport office but live 10 hours away from a major city and the only option was mailing it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheUrbanMyth



Joined: 28 Jan 2003
Location: It's not a superiority complex when you really are superior

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbp59 wrote:
[q It sure would be nice if they would make passports valid for 10 years instead of 5, it's too short a time period. .




Apparently Passport Canada will start making 10 year E-passports from next year (2013).


http://www.ppt.gc.ca/consultations/apropos/compare.aspx?lang=eng


Yeah too late for this time around for you or me but the next time we renew (if we are still doing this gig) we can get 10 year ones (although they are more expensive then the five year ones which will still be an option.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sbp59



Joined: 01 Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere in SK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
sbp59 wrote:
TheUrbanMyth wrote:
If your old passport has expired that is likely to be noted by the Immigration department and refused. Not likely they will okay it without wanting to know the expiry date as well.

In fact even if your old passport is valid but has less than six months validity...it may well be refused.


Yeah, it wasn't expired, it had 5 months left on it when I sent it in for renewal.


Less than 6 months remaining and a new visa application (visa or visa confirmation number application) it would be refused anyway.

20 days (faster if you went to the passport office) isn't that long to wait.

(side note to others: You should renew your passport when it hits its 4th birthday so you don't end up with problems like this. International travel by Canadians (except to the states) in not usually possible with less than 6 months validity on a passport.

.
.


Just to confirm. In case it happens to someone again. My employer was able to get my visa issuance number under my old passport and the Toronto Consulate simply put the visa in my new passport without any problems or fees. I just had to show them the old and new passport. It was actually very easy and painless. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International