Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Picture with resume
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
margaret

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ok, I didn't expect to hear from you till later, when you'll be in Jeonju. I was just surprised to read you were wanting to post your picture--didn't realize it was an old message someone brought back.
Margaret
catchshime

Location: "I am not born for one corner; the whole world is my native land."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nice part about being in Korea though is that you could always get plastic surgery and be applauded for it!

(kidding... sort of)
Carla

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catchshime wrote:
The nice part about being in Korea though is that you could always get plastic surgery and be applauded for it!

(kidding... sort of)

LOL, are you trying to get your 25 posts?
Riker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: 25 posts? Reply with quote

Why do you need 25 posts? Sorry I'm new here...
LaDiablo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a very old thread (in another forum I frequent, bringing this back would be called necroposting, keke), but considering it's the most recent one about pictures, I thought I would ask here:
What is the general stance on piercings in resume/CV photos?

I had professional pictures taken to send with my CV, but I didn't think to take out my lip ring first. Now I'm not sure whether I should go ahead and send these ones out or get new pictures taken. Will a piercing be a very large deterrent to employers?

I feel it will be, but the photos cost me a fair bit, so I'm reluctant to accept it =/.
northway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaDiablo wrote:
I know this is a very old thread (in another forum I frequent, bringing this back would be called necroposting, keke), but considering it's the most recent one about pictures, I thought I would ask here:

I had professional pictures taken to send with my CV, but I didn't think to take out my lip ring first. Now I'm not sure whether I should go ahead and send these ones out or get new pictures taken. Will a piercing be a very large deterrent to employers?

I feel it will be, but the photos cost me a fair bit, so I'm reluctant to accept it =/.

I recommend getting them redone.
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaDiablo wrote:

If you have them in digital form then you're one step ahead towards your goal. If not, scan them and then import them into the magical world of photoshop. It is very very easy to remove tattoo's, piercings, etc. While I wouldn't recommend doing it to tattoos as it is very misleading and not truthful, I see no problem in digitally removing a piercing if you had planned on physically removing it pre-interview instead of paying a ton of money to get yourself re-shot. Just use a little photoshop. Either that or just use your own digicam. I've actually gotten interviews and job offers with just sending in a digicam picture of my ARC card or a point and shoot of me just hanging around with my family.
LaDiablo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
LaDiablo wrote:

I recommend getting them redone.

Thanks -- I'll likely do that (though I might opt for a friend with a decent camera).

wishfullthinkng wrote:
LaDiablo wrote:

If you have them in digital form then you're one step ahead towards your goal. If not, scan them and then import them into the magical world of photoshop. It is very very easy to remove tattoo's, piercings, etc. While I wouldn't recommend doing it to tattoos as it is very misleading and not truthful, I see no problem in digitally removing a piercing if you had planned on physically removing it pre-interview instead of paying a ton of money to get yourself re-shot. Just use a little photoshop. Either that or just use your own digicam. I've actually gotten interviews and job offers with just sending in a digicam picture of my ARC card or a point and shoot of me just hanging around with my family.

Digital isn't a problem, I have a very nice scanner. I'm not so photoshop-savvy, but I have a few friends who can help with that. And no, no garish tattoos on this end :].
Good to hear a point-and-shoot can get the job done; I wasn't sure employers would look very favorably on anything done from home (professional looking or otherwise). Thank you!
ankhetbast

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaDiablo wrote:

I too have a lip piercing, though I haven't taken my photos yet (and wasn't planing on professionally done). My idea was to take out the lip piercing an hour or so beforehand, and leave my nose stud in. My understanding is that nose piercings aren't a big deal as long as they are small. I hope I'm correct in that! Anyhow, I won't be wearing the lip ring to work there, but the nose stud stays in as it really doesn't like to come out! so, the photos will be accurate to my "work look".
chaiplz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carla wrote:

LOL, are you trying to get your 25 posts?

Perhaps! Laughing I know I am! I need to be able to PM. I feel like I've made 100 posts, but I guess not. Wink
mkpopcorn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it says a lot about Korean society that even ask for a photo. Why? What does your appearance have anything to do with your teaching?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkpopcorn wrote:
I think it says a lot about Korean society that even ask for a photo. Why? What does your appearance have anything to do with your teaching?

You will find that the act of adding a photo to your resume is a common practice in ALL of Asia and a very large part of the developing world. Get used to it. You won't be in Kansas any more. Things ARE different.

Munniko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to necro post or anything, but are professional photos really needed? I got a job by using my self taken facebook photo >_> so now I'm a little bit worried that I got accepted because the person thought I was pretty (it was before a dance performance so I had some styling makeup on).

I would second taking out your piercings because I got requested another photo minus my nose ring, although they said that I didn't need to. Anyone know the policy on curly hair? My hair is naturally curly...with curls similar to Shakira if you need an image, but the picture I sent was with my hair straightened...should I bring a flat iron to Korea in case?
thrila

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm necro-ing this post (for some reason I really like this term) to ask, how dolled up do/did you guys get for your photos? Ladies, makeup? (I'm assuming not heavy like smokey eyed)

I've seen my Korean friend's photo that she would use when submitting her resume to jobs back in Korea, honestly her's just looked like a normal passport photo, except she was in a suit, and she smiled a tiny bit.

Thanks in advance.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Office professional deportment and passport style photo is certainly adequate for either gender.

It is what is expected.

Self portrait with a digi-cam will do as long as it fits the format.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: