Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drug test upon arriving in Korea
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
travioso86

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Drug test upon arriving in Korea Reply with quote

Anyone know what the current (as in in the last year) method for testing marijuana is for new teachers in Korea? I am a medical marijuana user here in California and I am going to quit for the 8+ weeks leading up to my moving to Korea. However, I am worried that they may be doing hair tests, which would be a new set of troubles for me.

Has anyone been tested through hair samples?

As I understand it they have gotten more strict about it in the last year or so. And in case anyone is wondering, I am not planning on smoking while there.

Thanks for any and all help!
sbp59

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Drug test upon arriving in Korea Reply with quote

travioso86 wrote:
Anyone know what the current (as in in the last year) method for testing marijuana is for new teachers in Korea? I am a medical marijuana user here in California and I am going to quit for the 8+ weeks leading up to my moving to Korea. However, I am worried that they may be doing hair tests, which would be a new set of troubles for me.

As I understand it they have gotten more strict about it in the last year or so. And in case anyone is wondering, I am not planning on smoking while there.

Usually when you get off the airplane, they grab all foreigners immediately and bring them into the interrogation room. One at a time, the foreigners are brought into a small room with 6 Korean men officers. They repeatedly ask you where are the drugs? How high are you right now?

You then get the full anal cavity search. If you pass the questioning and the cavity search, then they start with basic blood, urine and hair sample tests. Usually within 4 or 5 hours you are good to go and can proceed into Korea.

Although a couple of my friends did make it through in under 3 hours, they got so friggen lucky.
ontheway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Drug test upon arriving in Korea Reply with quote

sbp59 wrote:
travioso86 wrote:

Usually when you get off the airplane, they grab all foreigners immediately and bring them into the interrogation room. One at a time, the foreigners are brought into a small room with 6 Korean men officers. They repeatedly ask you where are the drugs? How high are you right now?

You then get the full anal cavity search. If you pass the questioning and the cavity search, then they start with basic blood, urine and hair sample tests. Usually within 4 or 5 hours you are good to go and can proceed into Korea.

Although a couple of my friends did make it through in under 3 hours, they got so friggen lucky.

You must have made a wrong turn at airport arrivals.

You should have turned left to go to Immigration.

You must have turned right and gone to the Welcome Center for Visitors.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my question...

If you truly need "medical" mary jane, then why are you able to just up and quit, then come here?

I was under the assumption that such a drug was prescribed because it's necessary?

Are you now saying it's not necessary for you to take it?
GrasshopperKR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a miracle, his medically questionable reason for smoking pot has vanished....praise the lord.... Shocked
sbp59

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrasshopperKR wrote:
It's a miracle, his medically questionable reason for smoking pot has vanished....praise the lord.... Shocked

lol hurray for pot!! It must have saved the day!!
travioso86

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Just up and quit" is your own interpretation of my situation, and has nothing to do with what I said but is instead based solely on your own bias and ignorance.

If someone was prescribed Vicodin or anti-depressants, but didn't want to take it anymore, or simply chose not to take it anymore, would you find fault in their decision?

Do you know ANYTHING about medical marijuana beyond sound bites you've heard on your local news station?

Thanks anyways for a slightly entertaining thread so far. Anyone with actual information or advice?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pee test.

Just remember, this isn't the good 'ol USA.
Different play book and your constitution can't protect you after you get here.

Tyshine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the question goes I've also heard its a pee test so unless you are a heavier guy and smoke a lot (like all day everyday) you will be fine.

Oh and don't listen to these haters. I thought about making a response, but its not worth it. People want my opinion on what you do in your spare time, as much as theirs (which is 0).
rollo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the bone marrow test that sucks. The testing of the spinal fluid is a bee sting compared to how they extract the bone marrow.
sbp59

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollo wrote:
it's the bone marrow test that sucks. The testing of the spinal fluid is a bee sting compared to how they extract the bone marrow.

Agreed. Very Happy
Skipperoo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Drug test upon arriving in Korea Reply with quote

ontheway wrote:

You must have made a wrong turn at airport arrivals.

You should have turned left to go to Immigration.

You must have turned right and gone to the Welcome Center for Visitors.

Laughing
moonhaus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just got here a few weeks ago and it was a pee test. i'm not sure if that varies by province or not though. you may want to do a detox kit or something to be on the safe side.
zombiedog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonhaus, thanks for giving a simple straight answer like the OP requested. Some times the droning on by the old crusties above can get quite old.
sbp59

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zombiedog wrote:
Moonhaus, thanks for giving a simple straight answer like the OP requested. Some times the droning on by the old crusties above can get quite old.

We were just having a little fun. Laughter is good for your mental health.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: