Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Go back to your home country" (US race relations)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if there are investors, why don't they open up across the street and show him how it's REALLY done?
rollo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I predict that Mr. Park will still be running his business in the same place five years from now. Now the guy who told mr. Park to go back to his country , and was told to go back to Africa no comment from him. Mr. Park seems okay, what was the damge here. None. The only people up set are those in the "racism business" they get funding or publicity from taking a few snippy words between two men and blowing it up. yes racism is real and is horrible. African Americans for cultural and historic reasons have not been as sucessful as other groups in owning small businesses. But blacks that are non American seem to do fine. I would sugest it is culture and history not racism that impedes African Americans sucess in owning small busineses not racism.
Prediction in a few weeks the black guy will stop by Parks station say I'm sorry Park will also apologize, life will go on. Unless too many well meaning people get involved. Then all hell will break loose.
madoka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Dallas Observer:

When Schutze broke the story a la hat-cam a while back, we were all told that Thomas Pak, the gas station's Korean owner, simply had to go. The story was one of his employees shot a black thief dead for stealing a candy bar, and that Pak called Nation of Islam student minister Jeffery Muhammad a "nigger" and told him to "go back to Africa." Black leaders such as Muhammad, Dallas NAACP President Juanita Wallace, activist Joyce Foreman and the Reverends Ronald Wright and Peter Johnson converged on the gas station and store, first to protest, and then to lay plans to buy the station. They planned to turn it over to black ownership, and this nasty story would have a happy ending.

But the story ended not with a buyout but a whimper. The Cause met Reality. Reality won. (Last we checked, Reality was undefeated.)

The truth was that black thief, Marcus Phillips, wasn't after a candy bar. He tried to run off with the whole damn cash register. Tragic as it was he died, a store that can't hold onto its cash register isn't a store for long.

And it turns out that Jeffery Muhammad was in the Kwik Stop giving as good as he got as he traded racial slurs with Pak. Now, almost two months later, you've got a roomful of black leaders who claim to be fighting for South Dallas, and South Dallas doesn't care.

Wright says the Shamrock protest was a community issue, and "the community should be lining up to protest."

What community is that, though? Blacks and Koreans and everyone who lives or works in South Dallas are all in the same bleak boat. In the center of a food desert, self-appointed community leaders fought to close a store instead of opening a competitor in a nearby abandoned storefront. The longer this protest continued, the separatist fear became more obvious.

I was in a room with some of these leaders last week as they argued over what to do with the Kwik Stop. At first they thought I wrote for the Weekly or the Examiner. When they realized I worked for the Observer, I was kicked out by Wallace and Muhammad for not being "black press." (I've written professionally for a month; I've been black since 1988.) I wasn't from their side of the Trinity, and so I wasn't one of them.

Neither, apparently, are the store owners trying to survive in South Dallas. To the protesters, the neighborhood is divided into two camps: "the community" and those trying to exploit it. Consider what Muhammad said this weekend when Wallace let him tag along for a sit-down with Korean-American leaders:

Muhammad said American history shows that Italians, Indians, Arabs and other ethnicities have moved businesses into black communities to steal opportunities from them.

"I believe everyone has benefited to the downfall of black people," he said. "You are now just the next person in a line of people who have come to the black community and taken advantage of people who have been destroyed in this country."

He speaks as though opportunities are not something to be grasped, fought for, acquired by hard work, but simply stolen, like a cash register. What, exactly, is stolen when other cultures move into abandoned lots, integrate with blacks and compete for business?

Wright, Johnson, Muhammad and Wallace -- who claimed to speak for all of South Dallas -- said they would try to find someone to buy the store, and if they couldn't they would just protest it out of business. When no one materialized, they tried to do that: just shut it down.

But why, exactly, should the community line up behind that cause?

It didn't, of course, which is probably why Wright called yesterday to say he and Johnson were going to call a press conference announcing they were backing out of the protest.

"It's a victory, but if we wait much longer it's going to turn into a loss," Wright told me. And Wright's right. Pak lost thousands of dollars in revenue and business. He apologized publicly for using a slur. That's a win. Pack it up, toss the signs. Let's go home.

"I was trying to shut them down," Wright admitted of the Kwik Stop. "But the people crossing the picket line weren't white or Korean. The people crossing the picket line looked like me."

That's because most of the people around the Shamrock need the Shamrock. There's a liquor store next door, an open-air drug market down the street and not a grocery store in sight. Isn't that worth protesting?
sirius black

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madoka wrote:

Wright, Johnson, Muhammad and Wallace -- who claimed to speak for all of South Dallas --

The media are part of the problem. These groups claim to speak for blacks and are taken at their statement to be representative of such.
Many times its simply not true.
I have yet to hear any Black friends call Sharpton a black leader and very few think Jesse Jackson is and most call him an opportunist.

I'd be willing to bet if you offer any black person money if they can name the head of the NAACP in their area much less at the national level you'd keep your money.

We often erroneously take the statements of such groups as being representative and its often simply not the case.

My guess is many groups are trying to stay relevant in a world where Obama is the Presient and there are many prominant blacks in places of prominance in all manner of institutions.

We've made more out of this story than it actually needs to be is my guess.
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirius black wrote:
madoka wrote:

Wright, Johnson, Muhammad and Wallace -- who claimed to speak for all of South Dallas --

The media are part of the problem. These groups claim to speak for blacks and are taken at their statement to be representative of such.

. . .

We often erroneously take the statements of such groups as being representative and its often simply not the case.

I've made this point before on this forum, but don't expect your insight to be any better received. Nevertheless, I'm sure the waygooks would understand it all very quickly if some yahoo apologist Canadian hagwon cowboy became the Korean media's go-to representative for all waygookin teachers.
visitorq

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
sirius black wrote:
madoka wrote:

. . .

I've made this point before on this forum, but don't expect your insight to be any better received. Nevertheless, I'm sure the waygooks would understand it all very quickly if some yahoo apologist Canadian hagwon cowboy became the Korean media's go-to representative for all waygookin teachers.

I like Thomas Sowell's reply in this vid to somebody claiming to speak for blacks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26QxO49Ycx0 (starts around 1:40)
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a Greek guy (straight off the boat) that opened a little burger shack on the edge of Watts. He owned that place for 2 years and never once had an issue. He was a good businessman, got in good with the people and was known for his generosity and kindness to children. The gangs took notice, and gave him a lot of cash business. He took that money and went into another business somewhere, but the point is that people are people, if you treat people with respect, most of the time they will give you their business. And there are a LOT of Koreans that are the same way.

All black people do not have a problem wherever they go. That was not a well thought out statement, whoever you are.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
sirius black wrote:
madoka wrote:

. . .

Oh I don't know...I think the soap opera (aka ATEK) made it all too clear (what with its choice of leaders, its bizzare elections and the splinter groups like FREED) what would happen if something like the above did.
Adventurer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:
I knew a Greek guy (straight off the boat) that opened a little burger shack on the edge of Watts. He owned that place for 2 years and never once had an issue. He was a good businessman, got in good with the people and was known for his generosity and kindness to children. The gangs took notice, and gave him a lot of cash business. He took that money and went into another business somewhere, but the point is that people are people, if you treat people with respect, most of the time they will give you their business. And there are a LOT of Koreans that are the same way.

All black people do not have a problem wherever they go. That was not a well thought out statement, whoever you are.

I think people will forget what happened and what this Korean guy said. Hopefully, for his sake. Anyway, he probably felt he was defending himself. We can all understand that to some extent.

As far as black people, there is more than one culture found in that racial group and the same for white people. For example, culturally white people from Mass are different from the white people from Alabama. We all know that. If you're from Mass, you're going to tend to be more educated, knowledgeable about the outside world, but that is not so much the case for people in Alabama.

I know it's a generalization; I'm not intending to offend awesome people or extremely educated elements from the latter.
When it comes to African Americans, if you're from the ghetto, culturally you may be at a disadvantage when compared to an African American from a regular neighborhood. People are affected by their environment. The question is how do you change it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: