Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job search proving difficult

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TellyRules986

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Job search proving difficult Reply with quote

For background, I posted this thread: http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=216705

Anyway,

Now I'm applying for a new position, and when I explain to recruiters about how the last school still owes me money (they want to call and do a reference check) they seem to refuse to deal with me and hold it against me.

I could always delete the experience from my resume, but that's not fair and how would I explain that I'm still in Korea?

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks
modernseoul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the reference: Have you offered them the contact details of a co-teacher who you can trust? They also can back you up on the issues with your school.

Experience: Don't delete it from your resume as it's your school that is causing the problem not you.

Recruiters: Some recruiters just want an easy life and therefore they're not a good fit for you. Try speaking to friends and finding out which recruiter they used and/or use the recruiter that found you your last role, as they maybe more understanding of your situation.

Also word-of-mouth is becoming a more and more popular recruiting style as schools look to cut costs, so try and speak to school directly. It won't take long to find a job if your proactive.
soomin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem, but I got my head teacher to vouch for me and write a letter of recommendation. Did you have a good relationship with them? If so, do that. No matter what, they will call your old hagwon, so it's better to give them your co-teacher or head teacher's info and have them call that person directly instead of calling your boss (who will give a less than favorable review).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: