Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wifi Egg
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rayne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Wifi Egg Reply with quote

I've heard about the Wifi Egg from various sources, however, when I google it and use google to look through these forums, I can only find outdated information about it from 2009... back when the WiBro eggs are as big as the phone with an antenna in it:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/27/kts-egg-gives-your-wifi-device-access-to-the-wonderful-world-o/

I heard about it again recently and eatyourkimchi mentioned it in a video:
http://youtu.be/Ip7omsR_XrE
Skip to 3:45 to see it.

Now, it's much smaller, cheaper, better, etc.

I was wondering if anyone has something like this and can give me some information on it, such as what service provider you use, is the wifi unlimited, and can you leave the wifi on all day. I was also wondering if there were any conditions under having this wifi egg.
Drew10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
such as what service provider you use

KT Olleh

Quote:
is the wifi unlimited

It's not really Wifi. the egg takes a 4G signal and changes it to a WiFi signal for your devices. There are data caps. You can't go over the data caps, once you use it up, you're done for the month.

Quote:
can you leave the wifi on all day.

It runs on a battery, so you can leave it on as long as it has power, but if something is using the data it will count against your data cap.

Quote:
I was also wondering if there were any conditions under having this wifi egg.

It's a 1 year contract, you have to go in and pay monthly because they don't usually set up auto-payment. If you have the proper visa to get a phone, you can get one of these.

Hope that helps!
rayne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information! I think I might try and see if I can get it off a Korean friend's plan, but I want to get as much info as possible before asking people, since I don't want to trouble them more than I have to.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want to use it for?

I you have even a cheap smart phone you can use the phone as a wifi access point. If it's for your computer, you can also get a small USB stick that will connect to the internet (via a built in cellphone modem).

I wouldn't recommend something like this for home use. You won't get the same speed as a cable connection.
alongway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard plan that most people get gives you 50GB a month. It's around 20,000w.
There was overage last time I checked, and you can plug it in and run it all day, but it does better by a window.

It does not use 4G. It uses Wimax, they're different. It's faster than 3G, but not as fast as the advanced 4GLTE speeds we're seeing.
You can peak on it around 30Mb/s down, maybe higher just depending.

It's much faster than tethering to a phone if you have bad reception in that area. In my apartment, my cell phone only gives me 2 bars. I couldn't imagine tethering to that. The speed would be horrible.

It is not a replacement for a home connection though. If you're using the internet a lot when you're out and about or need to have a backup at home, it's good. You can get Wibro cases for the iphone or a lot of other korean phones these days will have it built in, or you can get the new slim egg.
Landros

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one and use it for wifi and my phones since there is me, my wife and 2 kids with internet devices....
EricB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just happened to get one of these yesterday.
There are several versions of the Egg available. An iphone 4 case version, a really small version with about 4 hours of battery life, or a slightly larger version with a 9 hour battery. I opted for the nine hour version as it is still really small.

Although there is an option for a 1-year contract, the monthly fees were significantly more than with a 2-year contract so that is what I went with.

I started with just 10gb a month at 12,000won. You can upgrade to 30gb for 15,000won a month, or 50gb for (I think) 20,000won. The 10gb choice seems kind of pointless, but the difference is in the contract options.

Basically, you are paying a discounted monthly rate for signing a 2-year contract. The 30gb plan is normally 30,000won per month. So, by signing for two years you get a 50% discount. If, however, you cancel before the contract is up, you must pay the other 50% for each month of your contract.
The discount of the 10gb plan is much less, therefore the cancellation penalty is much smaller as well.

Since I wasn't really sure how much data I'd be using each month, or if I'd still be around in two years, I decided to start with the 10gb plan. It is possible to upgrade to a higher plan at any time.

So far, the Egg has worked well. I've only had it for a day, but I can already see the difference with my iphone compared to 3g.
You can connect up to seven devices at one time, and so far everything I've thrown at it has worked.
Definitely beats having a 3g connection tied to one device, and it seems cheaper as well.
rayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not be using it as an alternative for at home wifi.

I'll most likely be using it for my ipod. i have a terrible sense of direction and get lost easily, so I'll use it for google/naver/daum maps. I'll use it for basic things like checking email and surfing the web. I don't play games that require internet access on my ipod. I may use it for calling if my phone runs out. I'll use it for kakaotalk/other types of texting, which is why I wanted to leave it on, but I can live with turning it off most of the day.

I have never had a data plan or anything like that, so I have no idea which option I should pick... I think maybe the lowest one? Any suggestions?
madoka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricB wrote:
I started with just 10gb a month at 12,000won. You can upgrade to 30gb for 15,000won a month, or 50gb for (I think) 20,000won.

Crying or Very sad

Holy crap that is cheap! Right now I'm paying $50 per month for 3gb a month on my Verizon MiFi account. I was happy that my 2 year contract is about to end and I could switch over to a new 2 year contract for a whopping 5gb for $50 a month.
EricB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably just go with the 10gb. Like I said, if you find yourself running out of data you can upgrade at any time without any additional cost - just the rise in monthly fee.
I wasn't sure how much I'd use either since I have a home connection as well. With the egg, when your data runs out for the month, it simply cuts you off rather than charging you a rate for more data. If that happens regularly, just upgrade. You should be able to do it at any KT Olleh shop.

Also, contrary to what was posted earlier in this thread, I do not have to visit a KT store to pay my bill each month. It works just like my phone bill and is deducted automatically from my bank account. Just make sure you set it up properly and it shouldn't be an issue.
sundizz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Trouble with the egg? Reply with quote

Anyone else having a lot of trouble with their egg? I've had it for about two months now and it was fine when I first got it. Nowadays, the charge/it staying on is being terrible though. It doesn't seem to charge properly..i have got the 4 hour one I think. Not 100% sure.

Also my KT bill used to 52,710 a month (cable, internet, cell phone) and I noticed my recent bill for the past two months were:

2/25: 52,710 (normal)

3/25: 52,710 (normal)

*Got the egg maybe mid March

4/25: 57, 710 and 5,320

5/25: 52,710 KT and 79,240

I'm not exactly sure what the charges are. I assume some of that is for the egg, and some of that is for the monthly charge (I thought 12k for 30 gigs a month). However, that seems quite excessive.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your service provider won't be providing any free goodies. Whatever you get you will be paying for one way or another.
teecee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew10 wrote:
Quote:
such as what service provider you use

KT Olleh

Quote:
is the wifi unlimited

It's not really Wifi. the egg takes a 4G signal and changes it to a WiFi signal for your devices. There are data caps. You can't go over the data caps, once you use it up, you're done for the month.

Quote:
can you leave the wifi on all day.

It runs on a battery, so you can leave it on as long as it has power, but if something is using the data it will count against your data cap.

Quote:
I was also wondering if there were any conditions under having this wifi egg.

It's a 1 year contract, you have to go in and pay monthly because they don't usually set up auto-payment. If you have the proper visa to get a phone, you can get one of these.

Hope that helps!

Hi there, I don't suppose there is any way you can buy this over the Net? I'm just asking because I have a friend in hospital who really needs some Internet access and she can't get to a KT store. I'm guessing you need to go into a store.
chungbukdo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally when you do a 2 year contract in Korea with KT, can you put your accounts on "hold" for vacation for three months? This is something that North American phone companies do, but I imagine a three month vacation is unheard of to most Koreans.
rayne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chungbukdo wrote:
Normally when you do a 2 year contract in Korea with KT, can you put your accounts on "hold" for vacation for three months? This is something that North American phone companies do, but I imagine a three month vacation is unheard of to most Koreans.

?????????????? Which North American company does this??? I asked my phone company to hold my account for 4 months for a semester abroad before and they said they don't do that. They said that they could however, temporarily downgrade my plan to the least expensive for 4 months and then go back. But that's only because my plan didn't come with a penalty for downgrading but if I had had any other plan, it would not have be able to happen.
Did a google search after that and no info about that sort of thing. This was back in 2010, has things changed? I find North American phone companies very greedy (so many stories about crazy roaming charges, bills going up to thousands of dollars due to phone companies purposely misleading/not informing customers of certain things, etc.) compared to others.
Oh, maybe you mean temporarily suspending your account? But that's not really the same as "holding" it... it'll be like cancelling your account and signing up again. If there's actually a company that let's you freeze your account with no consequence then I'd really like to know... it'll be good to see companies evolving to fit their customer's needs now.

Why would it be unheard of to most Koreans?

I would think the opposite since Korean men have to go to the army I would think it's common for them have their account "held" for 2-ish years. But I do not know if this is possible in Korea.

But if it is possible in North America, as you say, why would it be unheard of to most Koreans?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: