Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting a Myanmar visa in Seoul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Getting a Myanmar visa in Seoul Reply with quote

I'm thinking about making my first trip to Myanmar this summer and I'm curious about the visa procedure. As I live on the coast in Gangwondo, getting into Seoul to go to the Myanmar Embassy is a full-day outing for me.

Have any of you gotten a Myanmar visa in Seoul recently, and if so, what's involved? I took a look at their website they list for Korea (www.myanmar-embassy-seoul.com), but it looks like someone else has taken control of it and it's now a blog of some kind.

Do you just pay a visa fee and submit your passport, an application and a few pictures, and then come back and pick it up a few days later? Is it possible to have them mail it back to you (so I don't have to go to Seoul twice)? I'm Canadian, if it matters.

Thanks
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mofa.gov.mm/myanmarmissions/korea.html

Embassy of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar
Address : 723-1, 724-1, HANNAM-DONG YONGSAMN-KU, SEOUL, 140-210
Tel : (82-2) 790 3814, 790 3816
Fax : (82-2) 790 3817

Otherwise I am of little help since they quit issuing "visa on arrival" and I have no current information.

Jake_Kim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears there is no delivery service provided by the embassy itself, unless you delegate the entire process to a travel agency.
A recent Korean traveler's (not mine) experience with the embassy involves your signed passport, 3 passport-sized photos, hard copy of flight ticket/e-ticket, travel itinerary within Myanmar, and application form available at the embassy. Application submission between 09:30-11:30, collection between 15:00-16:30, according to this guy.
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a hassle to get a visa but go. Myanmar was awesome!
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you used to be able to go in person to the embassy to get it, thats what i did the first 2 times I went took around 4 days, last year you had to go through a travel agent and get it, same information as before but the visa has your picture on it. Also costs went up from 25,000 won to 50,000 won.

Keep hearing about the visa on arrival system, seems like its going in fits and starts, check on thorn tree about it.

Other choice is to go the Bangkok and get it, thats what many people do

above all go, its a great place to see and its really starting to change from all I've been told lately
Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies.
Unfortunately, I've only got 10 days for my vacation (meaning 8 after traveling there and back) so I'm just deciding whether it's worth all the hassle, or if I should just go in the future when I have more time.
alwaysbeclosing100

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

ok heres the skinny on myanmar visas. your options are the following:

1. get the visa in seoul at the myanmar embassy. if you call their embassy they can give you all the details. it is not issued same day. it takes several working days. i just did this option in january. i dont live in seoul hence it was a pain in the ass.

2. same day visa at the myanmar embassy in bangkok. convenient if you were planning a bangkok stop anyways.........

3. there is now a service similar to visa on arrival for vietnam. the myanmar immigration booth for this is definitely up and running. i just saw it in february. the service is a bit expensive but not too bad considering the headache of either two trips to the embassy in seoul especially if you dont live in seoul or wasting a full day in bangkok. see this site for full details:
http://www.myanmarvisa.com/

myanmar rocks.......it is getting hammered with tourists........there are not enough hotels so book yours early........

travel is slow and hard in myanmar.......8 days is very short unless you want to fly each leg in myanmar which is expensive......
butlerian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

alwaysbeclosing100 wrote:

1. get the visa in seoul at the myanmar embassy. if you call their embassy they can give you all the details. it is not issued same day. it takes several working days. i just did this option in january. i dont live in seoul hence it was a pain in the ass.

2. same day visa at the myanmar embassy in bangkok. convenient if you were planning a bangkok stop anyways.........

3. there is now a service similar to visa on arrival for vietnam. the myanmar immigration booth for this is definitely up and running. i just saw it in february. the service is a bit expensive but not too bad considering the headache of either two trips to the embassy in seoul especially if you dont live in seoul or wasting a full day in bangkok. see this site for full details:

myanmar rocks.......it is getting hammered with tourists........there are not enough hotels so book yours early........

travel is slow and hard in myanmar.......8 days is very short unless you want to fly each leg in myanmar which is expensive......

That's for a business visa.
phenomenon09

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this post for getting a burmese visa
http://jonnyontheroad.blogspot.com/2011/02/burma-getting-there.html
alwaysbeclosing100

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

butlerian wrote:
alwaysbeclosing100 wrote:

That's for a business visa.

no......what am i missing.....it has 4 options........entry, business, tourist and transit........though i have never heard of anyone transiting via yangon i guess anything is possible.........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: