Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apostille a Diploma from Korea..is it possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quack Addict

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Apostille a Diploma from Korea..is it possible? Reply with quote

The Immigration says I need to give them an apostille copy of my diploma. I didn't have to last year but now I do. (Even though I'm only extending at my same school and not changing schools)

Where do I even start? Any help would be great. Cheers.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Apostille a Diploma from Korea..is it possible? Reply with quote

Quack Addict wrote:
The Immigration says I need to give them an apostille copy of my diploma. I didn't have to last year but now I do. (Even though I'm only extending at my same school and not changing schools)

It all depends on where you are from.

ghostrider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Apostille a Diploma from Korea..is it possible? Reply with quote

Quack Addict wrote:

I think you generally start by obtaining a notarized copy of your diploma. Can someone back home take your diploma to a bank and get a notarized copy made? Maybe your university will send you a notarized copy if you ask. Try googling the name of your state+apostille to find out the specific requirements.
Quack Addict

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my original diploma in my possesion. I'm from Oregon but my parents are currently sailing in Mexico. I have family in Alabama who could help. They gave me 90 days to sort this out.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad news for you is that there is NO easy way to get it done.

It is a 2 step process. You need to:

i) get a "notarized - certified true copy" of your degree made by notary
ii) then send (take/have taken) that "certified true copy" to the secretary of state that the notary is from to have an apositlle affixed to it.

USUALLY the process is done in the same state that the university is in but it is not usually a requirement to do so.

Doing the process by mail is time consuming (a month or more for mailing back and forth) and expensive (costs + express mail).

IF you have someone on the ground who can do the legwork it can be quick and cheap(er).

Quack Addict

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My degree is from Oregon...but the only person who can help me lives in Alabama. Since it's a diploma I'm guessing any state could apostille it since a kid from Alabama could technically have gone to school in Oregon. Does that sound right?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quack Addict wrote:
My degree is from Oregon...but the only person who can help me lives in Alabama. Since it's a diploma I'm guessing any state could apostille it since a kid from Alabama could technically have gone to school in Oregon. Does that sound right?

wrote:

It is a 2 step process. You need to:

i) get a "notarized - certified true copy" of your degree made by notary
ii) then send (take/have taken) that "certified true copy" to the secretary of state that the notary is from to have an apositlle affixed to it.

The specifics (price and how to apply for the apostille) of obtaining the apostille will depend on the sec of state for the state you want to apostille it in but the 2-step process is virtually the same in all cases.

Quack Addict

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Cheers.
sallymonster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try contacting your university. They might be able to make a notarized copy of your degree for you, then send it on to Oregon's Secretary of State.
Quack Addict

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to put this thread to bed.

I just got my apostilled degree back. It took like 10 days once it arrived in the USA. Total cost (including Express envelope to Korea) was $30.
barca2121

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did you end up using the notary from Alabama? I am wondering: do I need to travel to the state my college is located in to get the copy of my degree notarized or will the notarized copy from my home state suffice?
Quack Addict

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barca2121 wrote:
So did you end up using the notary from Alabama? I am wondering: do I need to travel to the state my college is located in to get the copy of my degree notarized or will the notarized copy from my home state suffice?

Yes, they accepted the apostille from Alabama even though my college is in Oregon. Cheers.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Apostille a Diploma from Korea..is it possible? Reply with quote

ghostrider wrote:
Quack Addict wrote:

I think you generally start by obtaining a notarized copy of your diploma. Can someone back home take your diploma to a bank and get a notarized copy made?

The OP's embassy can notarize the diploma for an exorbinant fee. He can then FEDEX the diploma to his state department while giving the department his FEDEX account number for a FEDEX return. I don't think embassies can do Apostilles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: