Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"We don't need you to do that." -Trayvon Martin Ca
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 87, 88, 89  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
I can see why you feel that way, but come on...it's pretty understandable. On the one hand you've got a kid that's dead... The other is the guy who killed him but is out "free".

I can very much understand the attention being put more in one direction.

From the onset though I've felt uncomfortable about the reporting. The first time I saw this was on NBC Nightly, and their emphasis on race sat oddly with me.

IMO, unless race is clearly a factor, I don't really see a need for it to be bright into the discussion. Sometimes, it's just a matter of one person vs another.

The guy had a history of calling the police to report black people in his neighborhood. Sometimes it is about race, although I do think that it is being overplayed.

Although this is true, it seems the numbers may have been blown out of proportion.

This article is a good read, at least until the obvious bias inserted in the last paragraph:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/fla-shooter-vigilante-good-neighbor-15974494

Quote:
Hamilton said another neighbor, a black woman, would regularly inform Zimmerman when she was out of town so that he could keep an eye on her place. Hamilton said that when she moved into the middle-class, racially mixed community of about 250 identical townhouses, the black neighbor told her, "Hey, if you need anything, you picked a really good area, since George is part of our neighborhood watch."

Last edited by Swampfox10mm on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigverne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mainstream media can be sued for liable, and they have certain degrees of accuracy they have to maintain

I presume you mean libel. As for accuracy, that's pretty laughable. The mainstream media is hopelessly biased and rarely attempts to dispassionately report the facts. And here, they have latched onto a story that perfectly fits their view of the world; namely, an innocent young black kid (cue endless pictures of adorable 10 year old who loved sports and dreamed of being an engineer) mercilessly gunned down by obsessive White (hold on a minute he's hispanic!) gun nut.

Obviously, what exactly went down on that night needs to be fully investigated, and without the likes of Al Sharpton and the NAACP screaming for blood. But, we also need to ask the question of why this incident is receiving such huge coverage.
bigverne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is a bit funny though, the right wingers never make the mixed race distinction when the media calls Obama black.

Perhaps because Obama explicity self-identifies as black.
Leon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigverne wrote:
Quote:
Mainstream media can be sued for liable, and they have certain degrees of accuracy they have to maintain

I presume you mean libel. As for accuracy, that's pretty laughable. The mainstream media is hopelessly biased and rarely attempts to dispassionately report the facts. And here, they have latched onto a story that perfectly fits their view of the world; namely, an innocent young black kid (cue endless pictures of adorable 10 year old who loved sports and dreamed of being an engineer) mercilessly gunned down by obsessive White (hold on a minute he's hispanic!) gun nut.

Obviously, what exactly went down on that night needs to be fully investigated, and without the likes of Al Sharpton and the NAACP screaming for blood. But, we also need to ask the question of why this incident is receiving such huge coverage.

I presume you meant dispassionately. Part of the reason is that the police botched the investigation, this is probably the most important part of the story. They didn't check if Zimmerman had been drinking or doing drugs, which is standard procedure.

"Zimmerman wasn't arrested at the time, and ABC News has learned he was not given a drug or alcohol test that night -- standard in most homicide investigations.

Law enforcement expert Rod Wheeler, who listened to the tapes, told ABC News that Zimmerman, not Martin, sounded intoxicated in the police recordings of the 911 calls.

"When I listened to the 911 tape, the first thing that came to my mind is this guy sounds intoxicated. Notice how he's slurring his words. We as trained law enforcement officers, we know how to listen for that right away, and I think that's going to be an important element of this entire investigation," Wheeler said.

According to Chris Tutko, the director of the National Neighborhood Watch Program, there are about 22,000 registered watch groups nationwide, and Zimmerman was not part of a registered group -- another fact the police were not aware of at the time of the incident."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fbi-justice-department-investigate-trayvon-martin-killing/story?id=15955985#.T2rLGcUb8dQ

Mr. Zimmerman also has a bit of a violent past.

"Mr. Zimmerman, who is studying criminal justice, was arrested once in 2005 on felony charges of battery on a police officer and resisting arrest with violence. Prosecutors chose not to pursue the case."

http://truth-out.org/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=8006:justice-department-investigating-florida-killing-after-outcry

I just listened to the 911 tape, and Zimmerman clearly says "f***ing C**ns about half way through.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/videogallery/68871920/News/George-Zimmerman-911-call-reporting-Trayvon-Martin
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many non-registered watch groups. Why should they need to register? It's kind of like saying "Bobby isn't a registered CELTA holder, therefor he does not have a TEFL certificate."

The neighborhood had their own watch, and the police knew about it (in fact, they worked together, as the article I linked to above noted).

I think Zimmerman should have been tested for alcohol, but remember, a NARCOTICS officer was the first to interview him. Part of that person's job is to recognize drunken/doped behavior. Surely he would have recognized it? Smelled his breath? Hell, I get on a subway car and can smell half-drunk Korean men from five feet away. I'm not buying that the garbled/distorted sounds of a poor cell phone call = drunkenness.

Again, I feel Zimm. was wrong, but the facts are being distorted.
Leon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
There are many non-registered watch groups. Why should they need to register? It's kind of like saying "Bobby isn't a registered CELTA holder, therefor he does not have a TEFL certificate."

The neighborhood had their own watch, and the police knew about it (in fact, they worked together, as the article I linked to above noted).

I think Zimmerman should have been tested for alcohol, but remember, a NARCOTICS officer was the first to interview him. Part of that person's job is to recognize drunken/doped behavior. Surely he would have recognized it? Smelled his breath? Hell, I get on a subway car and can smell half-drunk Korean men from five feet away. I'm not buying that the garbled/distorted sounds of a poor cell phone call = drunkenness.

Again, I feel Zimm. was wrong, but the facts are being distorted.

I think that the real story isn't really Zimmerman, but the way that the cops followed this up. It not being registered isn't that big of a deal, not the main thrust of what I was getting at. I think that he used a racial slur on the phone call is telling though.
Kuros

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigverne wrote:
The mainstream media is hopelessly biased and rarely attempts to dispassionately report the facts. And here, they have latched onto a story that perfectly fits their view of the world; namely, an innocent young black kid (cue endless pictures of adorable 10 year old who loved sports and dreamed of being an engineer) mercilessly gunned down by obsessive White (hold on a minute he's hispanic!) gun nut.

I won't defend the MSM for a second, but its not the only entity with bias.

Quote:

There was no investigation. The local head of the police force, Lee, then smugly asserted that calls for him to do his job smacked of racism.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, this police chief is very new. Less than one year. The last police chief was ousted for allowing a white kid with connections to beat on some black kids (video taped).

Sounds like the police there potentially have some serious issues.
northway

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to derail this thread, but it's absolute horse crap to say that Zimmerman can't benefit from white privilege because he's "half Hispanic". Are Latinos with blonde hair and blue eyes not white? Please. Given that he has a super-Anglo name and has relatively fair skin, it's most likely that the police assumed he was Caucasian. This isn't Malaysia, our ID cards don't include our ethnic background.
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
I think that he used a racial slur on the phone call is telling though.

I assume you're referring to the 'f***ing _ _ _ _ _' portion of the call? Have you listened to it? That second word sounds much closer to 'punks' than 'coons.' That doesn't change the stupidity of everything else Zimmerman did that night, but baseless accusations of racism won't help anything.
Leon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geldedgoat wrote:
Leon wrote:
I think that he used a racial slur on the phone call is telling though.

I assume you're referring to the 'f***ing _ _ _ _ _' portion of the call? Have you listened to it? That second word sounds much closer to 'punks' than 'coons.' That doesn't change the stupidity of everything else Zimmerman did that night, but baseless accusations of racism won't help anything.

The article I read said it was the racial slur, and that's what I heard when I listened to it. After reading your post, I submit that it is possible that it could have been punks, I still here hear the first one when I listen to it but the audio is far from perfect so I can't be totally sure.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone suggested that he tripped over a traffic cone in the street. *laugh*

F-ing cones!
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
The article I read said it was the racial slur, and that's what I heard when I listened to it.

Yeah, I did the same thing. Then I read about it on the Huffington Post, and caught this bit: 'WFTV had an audio expert listen to the call and determined that Zimmerman said the word "punks."' Now, while I can't say with certainty that the potential slur begins with a [p] sound, I definitely hear [ŋk] at the end of it. That's still a pretty stupid thing to say to a 911 dispatcher about someone who's just suspected of trespassing.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock in both Ruger and Smith & Wesson jumped 15 to 17% yesterday. Ruger announced that it cannot keep up with demand.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else worth noting... the original local news story where a witness states that Zimmerman was on the bottom calling for help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEDBqvEauYU&feature=player_embedded

Could have been that he was jumped. Could have been that he started it and was losing out. We don't know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Page 3 of 89

Jump to: