Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Donghae Ferry from Korea to Vladivostok Russia this summer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Great Toad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Donghae Ferry from Korea to Vladivostok Russia this summer? Reply with quote

I was pondering destinations this summer there is a ferry that leaves from Donghae on the east coast and goes to Vladivostok

http://visitkorea.or.kr/ena/GK/GK_EN_2_3_5.jsp

Has anyone tried this as a short vacation to Russia?.... Perhaps I should just visit Japan again - that was a cheap 200,000 won round trip ferry ride too... but Russia would be a new experience for me. I hear horror stories of rude crowded China vacations so I am not sure I want to see the Great Wall in the summer. I have never been to Russia and it looks to be just as cheap as China... although I have yet to check the visa... If anyone has some great ideas or experiences let me know...
Modernist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main issue here is the visa. Russian visas, even for tourists, are NOT easy to get. And if you [like me] are American, it's even worse. There's a whole bunch of hoops to jump through, you have to get an 'introduction' first and the fee is high as usual, and there's a decent amount of waiting on top of this [I think 2 weeks is pretty standard].

I would like to see it myself, but I'm not sure I'm willing to lay out the fees they demand just for that. ESPECIALLY if it's just a 'short' trip. Like the big China fees, better to see a decent amount of stuff for your money, not just one smallish place, Pacific Fleet or no.

As for China's crowds, I personally plan to do the Wall and the Temple of Heaven and the Warriors [i.e., all the big touristy stuff] during the earlier parts of the so-called Golden Autumn after I finish my new contract. Use China to wash Korea out of my system once and for all.
soviet_man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It use to be called the Dong Chun ferry from Sokcho.

Wonder why it is now changed to going from Donghae.

Worth doing no doubt.
The Great Toad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1006.html

Quote:
Under Russian law, every foreign traveler must have a Russian-based sponsor, which could be a hotel, tour company, relative, employer, university, etc. Even if you obtained your visa through a travel agency in the United States, there is still a Russian legal entity whose name is indicated on your visa and who is considered to be your legal sponsor

International Cruise Ship/Ferry Passengers: You are permitted to visit Russian ports without a visa for a period of up to 72 hours. If you wish to go ashore during port calls you may do so without visas, provided that you are with an organized tour at all times and accompanied by a tour operator who has been duly licensed by Russian authorities.

SOunds to me like a total rip off - you pay a fat cat tour company to be your sponsor they in turn demand you give them a pile of cash for some overpriced tour .... that is sooo dumb -- Now I could be wrong there maybe some tour company out there that puts you in cheap hostels but it sounds to me like you will have to shovel out a load of cash to do a tour with meals and stays that you might not choose...

So you are correct on that Modernist - in the Pre-Modern world the Grand Le Tour was much better I'd guess.... looks like I may just do a China wall tour or maybe just take the ferry to Japan and climb fuji or go North to the forest Island that is warm enough in the summer --- you would have to pay me to go stay in an Ice House there...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: