Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Over 40 single males travelling to South Asia?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthews_world

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Over 40 single males travelling to South Asia? Reply with quote

For you seasoned travellers, what's the vibe like for over 40 single males travelling to Thailand, Vietnam, et al. or even the Phillipines.

Will I be deemed as a sex tourist?

I guess I'd need to dress more professionally - button-down shirt, trousers/slacks in order to be taken seriously there.

Normally I go for the concrete jungle but I've never been to South Asia during my time in Korea.

Ultimately, I'd be finally hopefully getting a CELTA there and maybe do teacher training but certainly wouldn't be there for you know what.
Gamecock

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, travelling alone you will probably be deemed as a sex tourist regardless of what you wear. Many of the sex tourists are businessmen who dress quite well. Just go, enjoy your time, and forget about what people are thinking about you. You can't control that. At the end of the day the only thing that matters is your own self-respect.

If you're going to travel extensively, I definitely recommend going to Cambodia and seeing Angkor Wat. I think traveling throughout SE Asia and missing that is a bit like going to the Middle East and not going to the pyramids.
Zackback

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm here now in the Philippines (I'm in my 40's). Just come as you are man. No problem.
northway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and no. If your hanging out in Pattaya, Kuta, or Angeles City, then yes, you will probably be seen as a sex tourist, and rightfully so. If you're traveling around and hitting up the quieter, more cultural spots, chances are people won't put too much thought into it. I met a lot of older, single white guys in Laos, in particular, and the stereotype didn't really seem to have followed them (as prostitution is significantly less prominent there than it is in much of Thailand).
zombiedog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go wherever you want and forget the idiots that tell you what to do. It doesn't matter what age you are. go, travel. have fun!
passport220

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
Yes and no. If your hanging out in Pattaya, Kuta, or Angeles City, then yes, you will probably be seen as a sex tourist, and rightfully so...
Rightlfully so? Don't you have to have sex with someone you picked up in those places to be "rightfully" seen as a sex tourist?

Anyway, no one will think twice about your travel through S.E. Asia. The economies and tourism are booming and people of all shapes, sizes and ages travel through, no one will blink an eye.
northway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

passport220 wrote:
northway wrote:
Yes and no. If your hanging out in Pattaya, Kuta, or Angeles City, then yes, you will probably be seen as a sex tourist, and rightfully so...
Rightlfully so? Don't you have to have sex with someone you picked up in those places to be "rightfully" seen as a sex tourist?

Anyway, no one will think twice about your travel through S.E. Asia. The economies and tourism are booming and people of all shapes, sizes and ages travel through, no one will blink an eye.

Perhaps that was a poor choice of words, but in the case of Pattaya or Angeles City there is really no reason to spend any time there if you're not partaking in the local offerings. I passed through Pattaya on my way to some islands and it was full of single male sex tourists and Korean families who seemed oblivious to the thirteen year olds selling themselves on the street in front of their hotels. In Kuta I found that most people saw three possible outcomes for a guy:

1) Have a girlfriend.

2) Pick up hookers.

3) Gay.

Why anyone would want to spend any serious time in those dumps is beyond me.
Zackback

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cultural appreciation maybe.
passport220

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
passport220 wrote:
northway wrote:

Perhaps that was a poor choice of words...
Yeah, I guess it was your choice of works I had a problem with. FYI, Angles City is directly adjacent to Clark Airfield, aka its new name Diosdado Macapagal International Airport (DMIA). It has an ever expanding airport terminal and is a minor hub for Cebu Pacific, TigerAirways and AirAsia.
northway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I pointed out, there's a difference between passing through Hookerville for a night and hanging out there as a tourist destination. If someone tells me they like going to Pattaya I'm going to assume they like paying for sex, as there's no other reason to go there. I've passed through Angeles Cityon my way to Clark, that doesn't mean I'd spend my trip there.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I'm looking at going there for a few months between contracts in fall and winter.

I'm finally applying to do the CELTA in Pattaya which would, in my mind, be less hustle and bustle than Bangkok.

Even in Korea I stay home at night so no worries there although it'd be pretty easy to get mesmerized.
northway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthews_world wrote:
Yea, I'm looking at going there for a few months between contracts in fall and winter.

I'm finally applying to do the CELTA in Pattaya which would, in my mind, be less hustle and bustle than Bangkok.

Even in Korea I stay home at night so no worries there although it'd be pretty easy to get mesmerized.

I'd recommend CELTA in Chiang Mai over Pattaya (I'm retry sure they offer it there). The beach in Pattaya is pretty crappy, the restaurants are bad, and you'll be hounded by hookers pretty much everywhere you go. Unless you're really set on the beach and Pattaya is your only option, I would suggest avoiding it.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is offering a CELTA in Pattaya?

Do your CELTA (if you actually meant CELTA) in CM or BKK then head a bit farther east than Pattaya (Chanthaburi is nice, cheaper than Pattaya or Phuket and pretty much undiscovered by falangs) for your beach down time.

luckylady

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I saw over 40 single males traveling together no matter where they were going I'd definitely think sex had something to do with it -

altho I guess if they were in some kind of uniform Wink
joelove

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, "sex tourist" will be stamped into your passport.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: