Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Worth waiting for Galaxy S3 or iPhone 5?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CPT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Worth waiting for Galaxy S3 or iPhone 5? Reply with quote

Going to be getting a new phone soon, but as the thread title says, would it be worth waiting for the Galaxy S3? I've heard it's coming out this month or next, but will Korea get it right away?

I threw the iPhone 5 in the title, but from what I have read, that's probably going to be a 4th quarter release, and possibly longer for Korea. So probably not worth waiting for, but I thought I'd throw it in the discussion anyway.
Kimchifart

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely worth waiting for the S3, which is imminent, if not only for the price drop that will come to the S2, which is still an excellent phone.
CPT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is imminent though?

I've heard May 22 as a strong rumour, but I don't know if that is the actual release or just the unveiling. And even if that date is accurate, I don't know if it will hold true for Korea.

I've also heard June, which may still be doable, but if we're getting into late June, thats 2+ months with a shitty phone, and 2 more months to buy out/transfer at the end of the contract.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah! Pick up a Galaxy 1 or iPhone 3 for dirt cheap. They do everything you'd ever need a smartphone to do just fine.
Mr Crowley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a new cell phone, but I don't plan on being in Korea for two more years. Is there another way, except prepaid, to buy a smart phone ?
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsung has a history of not supporting upgrades to older phones. Don't get anything Samsung or you will find yourself stuck long-term on a phone that lacks upgrades. Samsung will forget you after your phone is no longer the hot new thing.

Just like when a new teacher is hired at a hagwon and lifted-up as the best teacher in history, only to be forgotten, ignored, and ultimately ousted after six to 9 months when the next new super teacher is hired.

Identical scenario.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
Samsung has a history of not supporting upgrades to older phones. Don't get anything Samsung or you will find yourself stuck long-term on a phone that lacks upgrades. Samsung will forget you after your phone is no longer the hot new thing.

Just like when a new teacher is hired at a hagwon and lifted-up as the best teacher in history, only to be forgotten, ignored, and ultimately ousted after six to 9 months when the next new super teacher is hired.

Identical scenario.

Didn't Samsung just upgrade the GS2 to IC4?
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:

Identical scenario.

Didn't Samsung just upgrade the GS2 to IC4?

I don't own a Galaxy S2, but it was also a phone introduced within the last year. I have a Galaxy S1, which they no longer support with OS upgrades. Flash will not work on it after the final upgrade was installed. I can get Flash to work if I step back to a more buggy version, but they just broke it and stopped supporting upgrades for the phone. As soon as it updates, Flash is broken again.

We will never see another OS update for the Galaxy S1, and they were still selling them within the past year.

I won't but a Samsung Blu-ray player, either, because they stopped supporting upgrades on older players, which are necessary to allow new discs to play. Shady company.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for it to happen after Samsung sells enough of their current stock of craplets and are ready to introduce something that Koreans will be conned into thinking is a worthy competitor to the new I-pad.
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:

Identical scenario.

you are correct in that the s1 is not being upgraded to ics. samsung deemed that the hardware was not up to the levels required for ics. however, it's funny you think this is just samsung, as apple does the same thing. many ios handsets cannot be upgraded to the newest versions of ios due to hardware limitations.

samsung and apple are not people, they are businesses run by many competent people. these companies don't "forget" about users. plus the average handphone user in korea upgrades once every 16 months. if anything, the consumers "forget" about their old handsets.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phones/no-real-surprise-samsung-not-upgrading-galaxy-s-to-ice-cream-sandwich/7109

Other phone, same internals, gets the upgrade....
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phones/no-real-surprise-samsung-not-upgrading-galaxy-s-to-ice-cream-sandwich/7109

but it is yet another Samsung product getting an upgrade...yes?
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:

but it is yet another Samsung product getting an upgrade...yes?

Was my statement incorrect?

Again, with Samsung products, you run the risk of not receiving upgrades in the future. They dump support for old products in favor of new. I stand by what I said. It's your money. You have been warned.
spanky1off

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt have a good experence with sammy support on the galaxy s 1. how can a hacker introduce a fix to the lag problem from the get go that a multi billion dollar company cant solve over a year later by which time i sold it. my guess is they have so many different product lines and configurations of the same device that their engineering resources are just strecthed thin for adequate support.
SMOE NSET

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a 4 trillion Won profit for the first quarter of this year alone, I think they can afford to hire a few more software engineers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: