Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E2 Visa Process (timing and process)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newbieteach

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: E2 Visa Process (timing and process) Reply with quote

*The search function doesn't work and I have a question/potential problem.*

Facts:
I signed a contract with a school yesterday to begin employment on or about June 15th. I received an email today from my recruiter requesting that I send all my documents to her office FedEx Express. However, I don't have my CBC. Rather, I received it many weeks ago, but I sent it into the Department of State (Washington D.C.) to get apostilled. I did not use a third-party apostille service.

The Department of State received it on April 17th. The website and phone recording estimate a turnaround time of 10 days from the date of receipt.

Questions:
1. Is it normal that I send my visa documents to the recruiter or should I be applying to Korea directly?

2. What is the process step by step from the day I put my documents in the mail (i.e., will I have to interview with the Korean Embassy, is there a visa application, will I have to pay a fee, etc.)?

3. How long does it take until I receive a visa at my doorstep?

4. If you were in this position, what would you do to remedy it?

I'm thinking about stalling for a week or two by not answering my email. Then, when the recruiter asks for the status of my paperwork, I will tell her that I had finals (which is true) and I would send them out "within the week". I'm thinking I can stall a couple weeks like this, but I don't want to jeopardize the position if I won't receive my visa in time.

p.s.
Rude people need not respond.
mwalls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do hope that you get a 10-day turn around on the DoS apostille. When I last did it in Februrary the turnaround was about 8 weeks (!). There's really nothing you can do now, though, since they have it. Just hope it's speedy.

Second, once you have all of your documents ready to send to Korea, that took about two weeks. That's your apostilled degree and CBC, your statement of health, and your signed contract. When you get your contract back (signed by Kimmi) you then run that in, with your passport, a couple passport photos, and $45 to your closest Korean consulate. There's no interview needed. I did it in person, and it took about three days. Mailed, I presume it would be a week to a week and a half, depending how close you are.

I'd say your biggest hang-up is waiting on the Dept. of State. Maybe they've streamlined things.

I have to ask: How did you get a contract before having your documents? Did you just say you had everything?
newbieteach

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response, mwalls. Did you send your documents to your recruiter and they forwarded them to immigration?

Are you sure the apostille took 8 weeks or was that your actual request for the CBC through the FBI?

mwalls wrote:

I have to ask: How did you get a contract before having your documents? Did you just say you had everything?

^I was honest with the recruiter. I told her that we had everything, including the CBC and we sent the CBC to be apostilled "a week ago so we should receive it within the week" or something to that extent. I just assumed that this timing was accurate because the Department of State website said 10 days. The school never asked about my documents.

I didn't think I was going to find employment so soon because I had been looking for about a month now and I was being a bit picky.

*An additional note: The Department of State received my documents on April 17th, so it hasn't been "10 business days". I'm rolling the dice in hopes that their estimated timing is accurate and they throw them in the mail within 10 days of receipt.
mwalls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newbieteach wrote:
Thanks for the quick response, mwalls. Did you send your documents to your recruiter and they forwarded them to immigration?

Are you sure the apostille took 8 weeks or was that your actual request for the CBC through the FBI?

Yeah, I sent them to my recruiter. He took care of getting them to immigration and sending them back to me. I'm not sure they all work that way, but I don't see why they wouldn't. Their fee is attached to getting you working.

And, yes, I am sure about the apostille time... when I did it. I know the FBI CBC is 8 weeks, and I was shocked when I read on their website it was taking an additional 8 weeks, if mailed, to get the document apostilled. Since you said you read on the site that it's about 10 business days, they may have gotten their shit together. Hopefully you're good.
RLib

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newbieteach wrote:
The Department of State received my documents on April 17th, so it hasn't been "10 business days". I'm rolling the dice in hopes that their estimated timing is accurate and they throw them in the mail within 10 days of receipt.

Was it delivered on April 17th, or was it actually put into their system on April 17th? All mail sent to federal government agencies are diverted and held at a special mail processing facility where it has to be scanned/checked before it's actually delivered. It can add a few weeks before it gets to the actual agency, depending on how much mail they're getting in. So if all you have is a USPS delivery confirmation saying it was delivered on April 17th, chances are it's not at the State Department yet.

Additionally, did you include a self-addressed return envelope with it? They say on their site that even after they issue the apostille, not having a self-addressed return envelope can hold it up for another 2-3 weeks if they have to issue the posting, etc (no idea why though....). http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/

If it's in the system and you included the return envelope, then you're probably good. Otherwise, you may need to speak with your recruiter again...
newbieteach

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

We received our apostilled CBC today. We're coming to Korea! See you all soon. Very Happy

<3 Z
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: