Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seoul Women's University - What's the Scoop?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lighthouse1971

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Seoul Women's University - What's the Scoop? Reply with quote

I might have a lead on a job at Seoul Women's University (connected to their "SWELL" program).

What's the gossip on that institution? Is there anything I need to know?
the_beaver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: ahhhh. . . SWELL! Reply with quote

I worked at SWELL for a total of two years and there's good and bad.

The bad:
1. You'll be part of one of the hardest-working, amazingly talented group of teachers in Korea (maybe an exception or two in the mix, but overall, upper echelon teachers) and this has given the students pretty high expectations. Sometimes it is difficult, or even stressful, just keeping up.

2. SWELL's regular program will probably keep you busier than most other univeristies' intensive programs, and SWELL's intensive program is leagues beyond that. The amount of time, energy and participation expected from teachers is far beyond (far beyond) what is expected at other universities.

3. Despite the quality of the teachers, and the expectations for them, the pay is very low (possibly the lowest in Seoul and on the low end for all of Korea).

The good:
1. The atmosphere at SWELL is great and because teachers support each other ideas are freely shared. I learned more about teaching at SWELL than I ever could at a hagwon or another university.

2. Possibly the most satisfying teaching to be had in Korea because, unlike many other programs, there is a good deal of structure and students are placed pretty well in the level where they should be. Class sizes range from about 24 for a reading and writing class to around 6 for a topic discussion class. This structure gives teachers a chance to plan in a way that gets results rather than the "just make 'em talk somehow" planning that gets done in the 'free talking' English classes of many other universities.

3. SWELL students attend because they want to, not because they have to. It's really nice to teach people who want to learn. The students have (generally) good attitudes and are a pleasure a teach.

I recommend SWELL to anybody who wants to see what teaching can be, but you'll have to decide if that's a viable trade for inadequate financial remuneration.
lighthouse1971

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Sounds Exciting Reply with quote

That sounds great to me. I love teaching in a truly educational environment. It takes an awful lot of money to keep me in a job where I dread coming to work or where I'm bored. The pay sounds adequate anyway (I got the scoop elsewhere).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: