Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you get an LOR if you finish your contract?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kneezah~

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Do you get an LOR if you finish your contract? Reply with quote

I have a question and I was hoping someone could enlighten me.^^

I had an E2 visa and completed my contract. I am now in Korea on a D10 visa. I have recently gained new employment and in the process of applying for a new visa. My new employer is asking for a Letter of Release from my old employer. I'm a little confused... I thought you got a letter of release if you ended you contract early. As far as I know I never got an LOR... Is this something I should have?
YTMND

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask immigration. This will solve both yours and your employer's query.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need one. You were released from your contract when you finished it. Beside, if you HAD needed one, it would have been when you applied for the D10. You are under no contract now, so you don't need to be released from anything.

If the school or recruiter insist that they need to see a LOR, then just move along and deal with another school/recruiter. This one doesn't seem to know what they're doing.

It's possible that they're trying to secretly make contact with your previous employer to see if you are a good employee but they don't want to tip you off by saying that they don't trust you. Still, you don't want to work for that type of employer either --> move along and find another offer.
kneezah~

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the advice. the school has a pretty good reputation and i was required to provide references from my old school... so i don't think they're trying to do anything sketchy. i just wanted to make sure it wasn't common practice to receive a letter of release once your contract is finished.^^
ontheway

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole process has been evolving a lot in the last couple of years. The D10 visa is quite new and very few people have used them. Most schools and recruiters have never seen or even heard of the D10. If you like the job just explain the D10 to them or ask them to call Immigration for an explanation.
WadRUG'naDoo

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best guy to get advice from is ttompatz. No one compares.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: