Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another diploma question thread. (But unusual, I think.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zax

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Another diploma question thread. (But unusual, I think.) Reply with quote

I'm a US citizen looking to teach in Korea. ...but my diploma will be (graduate at the end of the month) from Kuwait. Does anyone have any idea what the process of dealing with this diploma will be for the purpose of the E-2?

Do I still need to get it an apostille from the Department of State (and, if so, what else is needed for it)? Or do I just need to get it authenticated by Kuwait's Ministry of Foreign Affairs?

Been searching for answers, but been coming up with nothing, so any help would be very much appreciated.
northway

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're graduating from a university in the seven approved English speaking countries, you aren't going to be getting any visa to teach English. Did you attend a Kuwaiti university or an American school with a branch in Kuwait? If the former, you won't be teaching in Korea, sorry to say.

Last edited by northway on Sat May 05, 2012 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zax

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an American university (in name and system, at any rate), and the employer knows I'm graduating in Kuwait and didn't indicate that it would be a problem.

To clarify, the university is accredited by the American Academy for Liberal Education, which means it qualifies as a university recognized and accredited by the U.S.

To be on the safe side, I'll try to get in touch with the Korean consulate here.
luckylady

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Another diploma question thread. (But unusual, I think. Reply with quote

Zax wrote:

Do I still need to get it an apostille from the Department of State (and, if so, what else is needed for it)? Or do I just need to get it authenticated by Kuwait's Ministry of Foreign Affairs?

do both - and call your uni if you have real qs about how - they are usually quite helpful and are used to doing these things.

*make sure you get more than 1*
northway

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just warning you, the address being in Kuwait is likely prove a problem with immigration. Good luck though, your uni is legit (assuming you're at AUK).
Zax

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am, and thanks.

If I can figure out how to get the Department of State apostille, it should be fine.
ayahyaha

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Another diploma question thread. (But unusual, I think. Reply with quote

luckylady wrote:
Zax wrote:

do both - and call your uni if you have real qs about how - they are usually quite helpful and are used to doing these things.

*make sure you get more than 1*

This is good advice, especially getting more than one of everything, just in case.

My diploma, even though it's from a well-known university in the USA, is written in Latin. It even says that my major is English. All the same, I've had to jump through a bunch of hoops for Korean Immigration to prove that I was educated in English.

So, you might try to get some sort of official letter from your uni saying that all your classes (barring any foreign-language study) were given in English, and that your university is for sure American. Then, have it sealed across the flap and attach it to your application. (And, get more than one of these, just in case. Get a bunch, in fact.)

In cases like yours where you may be the first one attempting this process (using a degree from your uni for a visa in Korea), it's best to CYA and try to put yourself in the shoes of whichever person(s) is going to be looking at your visa application. Predict their doubts, no matter how silly they may seem, and try to answer to them before they even HAVE them -- thereby avoiding a lot of painful back-and-forth.

Good luck!
Zax

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the plus side, the only documents from my uni I've seen that weren't in English were those destined for the different Kuwait ministries, such as immigration and education. All the certificates they give are in English, so the diploma should be the same. (Should being the operative term, of course.)

Thanks, I'll look into seeing if I can get such a letter.
Zax

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the plus side, the only documents from my uni I've seen that weren't in English were those destined for the different Kuwait ministries, such as immigration and education. All the certificates they give are in English, so the diploma should be the same. (Should being the operative term, of course.)

Zax

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayahyaha

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zax wrote:

Just to be clear (sorry if I wasn't before) I didn't think your diploma wasn't in English. But (as was mentioned before) the whole Kuwait connection will definitely make immigration fidgety and it's worth being explicit about your education being in English.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: