Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living expenses Vs saving in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
megandadam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this could be helpful thread - anyone else want to comment b/c i would like to know as well.
Viaje

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a teacher who is in a small town in Korea, well population 120,000 but its close to the American base. He had dental work done and when he went back to USA for a visit he went to his dentist. The American dentist told him the work done in Korea had been very good. This is just one experience, but it tells me its possible to find good work. But many posts here have degraded the Korean dentists. I would ask someone you trust in Korea for a referral, and I do believe its possible to find someone good. The cost by the teacher I know--he said he paid the equivalent of $275 in Korea and the US dentist said he would have charged $1100.
loralh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a great dentist in Korea for cosmetic stuff. However a friend went and was told she had 8 cavities [she had never had one before..], when she went home her dentist told her she had none.

So I think they are good and they are cheap, but maybe get a second opinion to make sure of the results...
oldtactics

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes people have small holes in their teeth when they come in that have the potential to turn into cavities, so dentists recommend filling them. The work is completely optional. Not saying that's what happened to your friend, but it might not necessarily have been a shady dentist trying to rip her off.

That said, I completely agree about getting a second opinion if you're spending more than a handful of money - I agree about doing that with cosmetic stuff too - cosmetic surgery/dentistry/skin care is so prevalent here that it's always worth it to shop around and investigate your options.
loralh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, maybe that was the deal oldtactics, as I said I really liked her and the work she did on me. Smile

Cool avatar btw!
runthegauntlet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rule of thumb for me is... Reply with quote

NYC_Seoul wrote:
AliNZ wrote:
10,000 won a day -

without trips

if you budget for between 100-125,000 you can do it if you live in a small town
living in bigger cities and needing bus/taxi fares to get around might dip into that too much tho

but think 10,000 per day and you're close

Alinz

This sounds sublime, could you tell me how it's done??

My first year in Korea I spent 103,000 won a week on average (I was meticulous about maxing out my savings, so I kept track). I had a lot of weeks around 50-60,000, so I'd say 10k a day is very doable and should net you a bit of savings.
berrieh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldtactics wrote:
Sometimes people have small holes in their teeth when they come in that have the potential to turn into cavities, so dentists recommend filling them. The work is completely optional. Not saying that's what happened to your friend, but it might not necessarily have been a shady dentist trying to rip her off.

Sometimes it is shady and this happens in the US, too. Dentists quite often tell people they need more work than they do, particularly if they have insurance and are likely to go through with it. That's not a Korea thing sadly.

I've had it happen to me in the states; I've never had a cavity but was in an unfamiliar town for school one year and at a routine cleaning, they said I had 5, including one that required root canal. I was skeptical (having no pain and having never had a cavity) and went to a dentist in my home town for a second opinion. There was one potential problem spot - didn't need to be filled, just put a sort of salve over it - and no cavities. Certainly no need for root canal!

Speaking of dental, is teeth whitening popular in Korea? Is it considerably cheaper?
JumpinInDaRain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: A good rule of thumb for me is... Reply with quote

runthegauntlet wrote:

My first year in Korea I spent 103,000 won a week on average (I was meticulous about maxing out my savings, so I kept track). I had a lot of weeks around 50-60,000, so I'd say 10k a day is very doable and should net you a bit of savings.

That's totally possible, however, if you have trouble sticking to a very strict budget you should keep that in mind. Also, that lifestyle is very... isolating.... If you don't go out with your coworkers or people you meet (I'm not even saying drinking, but going places and going out for lunch or dinner does cost money), you will probably be sitting in your apartment every night checking news back home, chatting online, and trying to catch (insert home country here) TV shows.
sjane1234

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Newbie looking to save cash in South Korea - plz advise! Reply with quote

I'm going to South Korea to teach English this July and I need to have an idea of how much money I can save per month since I have a bank loan to pay back home.
Is it possible to save at least 970,000 won (�500) per month if I am living comfortably in a city over there?
If not please give me an idea of how much I can save? Thanks
runthegauntlet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rule of thumb for me is... Reply with quote

JumpinInDaRain wrote:
runthegauntlet wrote:

That's totally possible, however, if you have trouble sticking to a very strict budget you should keep that in mind. Also, that lifestyle is very... isolating.... If you don't go out with your coworkers or people you meet (I'm not even saying drinking, but going places and going out for lunch or dinner does cost money), you will probably be sitting in your apartment every night checking news back home, chatting online, and trying to catch (insert home country here) TV shows.

Indeed. But it payed the bills.

This year, though... time to enjoy things a bit more!
weebil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rule of thumb for me is... Reply with quote

JumpinInDaRain wrote:
runthegauntlet wrote:

that's pretty much how i live now in my home country.
catchshime

Location: "I am not born for one corner; the whole world is my native land."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much will utilities set you back on average in Seoul? 10k a day sounds doable...
Michael Langley

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Don't waste money on a large bed...make your own! Reply with quote

If you're a couple or just a large person, you might want to make your own Queen / King size bed. Here's how we did it:

Take two twin beds, turn them aside, and mash them against the wall sideways. Voila! Then underneath we duct taped the legs together and sewed the two mattresses together at the top.

Goodnight, sleep tight.
Alphonsus Jr.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread necroanimated for updating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: