Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MUST you work overtime?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Real Reality

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject: MUST you work overtime? Reply with quote

Have you ever had the problem of your university director asking you to teach more than you are able? You are already teaching overtime. You say, "No" and explain how full your schedule is. You also are still waiting to be paid for previous overtime (that is another story). Your director or dean asks you to teach more. He asks not once, not twice, but three times within three weeks. What do you say? What do you do? He (or the university) refuses to hire any new instructors. He refuses to increase the overtime pay. The other instructors are already working the maximum hours (plus overtime). Also, for some reason, future contract renewal was included in one of the conversations about the overtime work.

Has your university job become a nightmare because of overtime work or working too much? Have you ever had problems with getting a contract renewal for not working overtime? Is not working "over" overtime optional?
Hotuk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of thought my university, a low-level place far from Seoul, was below average. But your post is making me feel pretty good about my uni job - I can't say I've ever experienced any of what you're talking about. In my almost two years here, I've never worked more than 20 hours a week. Usually far far less.

There are optional projects for extra money, but they are in fact optional.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just lay it on the line to your director and just spell it out, including all of your concerns.

Writing them down is a good method, but actually saying it to his/her face may work wonders.

After all, sounds like they can't afford to lose you at this stage of the game...
gajackson1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrows can be easily snapped, one by one.

But, Grasshopper, there is strength in numbers . . .

What is the stance of your other instructors, and how many of them are there???

G.
Real Reality

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Worn down Reply with quote

They say follow the contract. No one wants to cause stress for the director.

Grasshoppers are eliminated through the administration using the poison of "no new contract" or the toxin of "follow the culture...when in Rome ...."

Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: