Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pension Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kangnabi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Pension Questions Reply with quote

Hello~
I was wondering if it was a common occurance when hagwon teachers start the process of getting their pension back and realise the school hasn't acutally been putting the money in there...?

This seems to be the case from my previous hagwon.

Also, I was getting pension taken out at my first hagwon job; however, now I'm not. I'm still E2 visa sponsored by my new employer, but i don't get benefits. I am leaving Korea for a month to visit back home and will return after a month, continuing my current job with my current E2 visa... So it is appropriate for me to ask for my pension now ( now that I'm leaving, even though I'm still working)?
Thank you all Smile
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Pension Questions Reply with quote

kangnabi wrote:
Hello~
I was wondering if it was a common occurance when hagwon teachers start the process of getting their pension back and realise the school hasn't acutally been putting the money in there...?

This seems to be the case from my previous hagwon.

Also, I was getting pension taken out at my first hagwon job; however, now I'm not. I'm still E2 visa sponsored by my new employer, but i don't get benefits. I am leaving Korea for a month to visit back home and will return after a month, continuing my current job with my current E2 visa... So it is appropriate for me to ask for my pension now ( now that I'm leaving, even though I'm still working)?
Thank you all Smile

1) is it common to get cheated our of your pension at a hagwan = yes.
I bet you are not enrolled in the NHIC either (and have no booklet).

2) can you get your current pension refunded by going home and returning on the same visa = no.

3) can you get your pension refund by leaving and returning on a new visa = yes.

kangnabi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Pension Questions Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:

1) is it common to get cheated our of your pension at a hagwan = yes.
I bet you are not enrolled in the NHIC either (and have no booklet).

2) can you get your current pension refunded by going home and returning on the same visa = no.

3) can you get your pension refund by leaving and returning on a new visa = yes.

How do I go about getting enrolled at NHIC or... get a booklet? So I cannot get pension until I finish my 2nd E2 Visa out ( next march) Should I start this process of making sure money gets put into the pension account?
Thank you ^^
Wildbore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the 50% employer match, you need to ensure you boss has registered you or does. Then, you need to ensure he deducts the relevent contribution from you paycheque to remit to the government.
YTMND

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
when hagwon teachers start the process of getting their pension back

The pension issues are the same, hagwon or public. If you are really leaving Korea, which it seems like, then don't say anything to your hagwon yet. Check with the pension office. If you aren't registered, you can kiss your chances to collect from that hagwon goodbye. Hold off paying any bills. That's about the best you can do. Quietly leave to never return.

You can mention it to them, but you probably will just be wasting time. If you are willing to stay in Korea and fight it, then it is possible to get some or all owed.

In the future, don't wait till you leave to figure this stuff out.
plchron

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Op isn't 'leaving', He is going on a month long vacation and continuing his visa/ e-2 under the same employer. I would wait until i got back to start hassling them about this. They might say, "ok,ok,ok." Then, when you are on the plane they conveniently find another person to work for them and you are SOL and back in your home country.
Quote:

I am leaving Korea for a month to visit back home and will return after a month, continuing my current job with my current E2 visa... So it is appropriate for me to ask for my pension now ( now that I'm leaving, even though I'm still working)?

Also, you aren't entitled to pension until you change visas or cancel an ARC. Month long, out of country vacation doesn't count. Look at what ttompatz said.
YTMND

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the Op isn't 'leaving'

How would the pension office know? If the new hagwon isn't paying into it, then they would assume the person is just leaving the country for good.

Quote:
Also, you aren't entitled to pension until you change visas or cancel an ARC.

Would the pension office then hold on to the money until the ARC was definitely canceled? I thought they just took 30 days to process. If you didn't hand in your ARC, I thought that was simply an issue between you and immigration.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, don't forget, it is something you can collect when you retire if you are working here for more than a year or two. In those contents you may not want to cash it out. But, you do want to make sure it is being paid. I have heard that 90 days after working, you can check with the pension office. You should be registered for the pension and health together. Also, beware of employer deducting your pay for pension and reporting your income by half. This means the employer is using your deduction to pay for both yours and his deduction. Take your deductions and double them and that is what the pension office should be receiveing. Sometimes a boss will deduct pension and keep it for himself. Whenever you take a new job, always check after 90 days wth the pension office that you are registered for health care and insurance. Again, I stress if you are in Korea for a few years or more, don't cash out your pension. You will have nothing when you are old if you do.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YTMND wrote:
Quote:
the Op isn't 'leaving'

How would the pension office know? If the new hagwon isn't paying into it, then they would assume the person is just leaving the country for good.

Quote:
Also, you aren't entitled to pension until you change visas or cancel an ARC.

Would the pension office then hold on to the money until the ARC was definitely canceled? I thought they just took 30 days to process. If you didn't hand in your ARC, I thought that was simply an issue between you and immigration.

The pension office knows what the immigration department reports to them. You file for lump sum, show your one way ticket out of country, hand in your alien registration card to the immigration agent on your way out of the country, and then the pension office reports to immigration your name and ARC number. Immigration checks their computer files to see if you have returned to Korea. This process is not done "x number of days after submitting the request." You submit your request prior to departing Korea. The pension office submits their query to immigration on their regularly scheduled query dates.
YTMND

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This process is not done "x number of days after submitting the request."

Yes it is. You get it normally within 30 days. You'll see why this is important below. Read on.

Quote:
You submit your request prior to departing Korea.

You don't have to. It can always be back paid. Also, you could apply before departing, get the pension funds within 30 days after leaving, and then return AFTER you receive the pension funds.
cincynate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This process is not done "x number of days after submitting the request."

Yes it is. You get it normally within 30 days. You'll see why this is important below. Read on.

It's not done on a 'number of days'. You NORMALLY get it in 30 days because that is how long it takes for immigration and the pension office to verify that you have left.

The OP's questions was can she request her pension while she goes on vacation, and the answer to that is NO. She cannot get her pension without cancelling her E-2 visa by handing it to the immigration officier on the way out of the country.
YTMND

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's not done on a 'number of days'. You NORMALLY get it in 30 days because that is how long it takes for immigration and the pension office to verify that you have left.

It's not A but it is A? Yea, normally, thanks for capitalizing. That's what we are talking about, normal procedures right?

That's why I answered normally, 30 days. It is done within 30 days normally.

30 days = normal
normal = 30 days

Sing it, chant it, and ask cincynate to double correct it. He can post saying "It is not A but it is A".

Quote:
The OP's questions was can she request her pension while she goes on vacation, and the answer to that is NO. She cannot get her pension without cancelling her E-2 visa by handing it to the immigration officier on the way out of the country.

You need to follow threads better.

I already stated:

If you are really leaving Korea

Hopefully, you understand what the conditional "if " means.
elltotheoh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left Korea about a month and a half ago, with no sign of my pension in my bank account. Filed at the office in Yatap a few days before I left, everything seemed to be in order, and handed in my ARC when I departed Incheon. How long do I wait before I inquire about my money, and where would I go about inquiring?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: