Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean Olympic Hockey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Boxer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Korean Olympic Hockey Reply with quote

Three questions, actually:
1. Does the Olympics host nation automatically qualify for events?
2. Does Korea have a national hockey team?
3. Will Korea have an Olympic Hockey team for the 2018 games in Pyeongchang?
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three yeses.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/winter-olympics-2018-your-south-korean-hockey-f-a-q?urn=nhl,wp8744

Fun quote:
Q. If the NHL does go to PyeongChang and Canada plays South Korea, what's the final score?
162-0.
Q. If the NHL does not go to PyeongChang and Canada plays South Korea, what's the final score?
162-1.
Joe Boxer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Three yeses.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/winter-olympics-2018-your-south-korean-hockey-f-a-q?urn=nhl,wp8744

Fun quote:
Q. If the NHL does go to PyeongChang and Canada plays South Korea, what's the final score?
162-0.
Q. If the NHL does not go to PyeongChang and Canada plays South Korea, what's the final score?
162-1.

Thanks for the reply and link; fun and informative read Smile
PEIGUY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I remember the IIHF president saying Korea will not play unless they have a certain IIHF world ranking (18th comes to mind). I can't find the link to it but I'm almost certain he said that. They stopped doing that (allowing host countries to play) I believe in Italyin 2006 where they were embarrassed every game. I could be wrong.. I'm going to keep looking for the link.
PEIGUY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I remember the IIHF president saying Korea will not play unless they have a certain IIHF world ranking (18th comes to mind). I can't find the link to it but I'm almost certain he said that. They stopped doing that (allowing host countries to play) I believe in Italyin 2006 where they were embarrassed every game. I could be wrong.. I'm going to keep looking for the link.
PEIGUY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://koreajoongangdaily.joinsmsn.com/news/article/Article.aspx?aid=2951827 they have to gain a world ranking of 18th in order to participate according to the IIHF president.
Joe Boxer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEIGUY wrote:
http://koreajoongangdaily.joinsmsn.com/news/article/Article.aspx?aid=2951827 they have to gain a world ranking of 18th in order to participate according to the IIHF president.

That's a shame. I was hoping to see Korea vs. Canada Smile
jvalmer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can do what they did in Nagano in 1998, have a preliminary round in week one. Top two qualify, then week two all the big boys show up (Canada, USA, Russia...).
PEIGUY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe they could do that.. who knows what the IIHF will do. Korea is in Division 1A Group A (men) right now after barely beating Poland. They start the World Championship for that division next week. They'll be playing Great Britain Italy, Hungary, Kazakhstan and Japan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhd0B3n6M5g&feature=player_embedded is a link to last years game against Poland.. Korea was lucky on their second goal that the Polish goalie badly mishandled the puck. So, we'll see what happens. If they come out of this division they'll get to play the top 16 teams (Canada, US etc). The women won their division and are promoted Division II Group A. They came in 3rd last year when it was held here in Korea.

Here's a link to the world championships that will happen this spring from the IIHF website. http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/championships/world-championships.html
catman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pretty much guarantee that the NHL will not be participating in Pyeongchang in 2018. They can't even agree on going to Sochi which is less than a year away.
PEIGUY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt they'll go as well who really knows. The NHL isn't getting any financial gain from it as they can't use any promotional material and it's hard to get insurance to cover these superstars.. the goalies alone if we went with Price, Luongo and Cam Wardn(for Canada) would cost 85 mil to insure them.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/04/30-thoughts-nhl-players-in-sochi-olympics-wont-come-cheap.html

In the world championships the Korean Men opened up against Italy and lost 4-0 with only 18 shots on net.

The Korean Men's Under 18 also started their tournament against Austria and lost 4-1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: