Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teachers that have moved back to America
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Man, I hate that real job crap. What is "real job"? I worked in an Engineering firm in the states. Was that a "real job"? I got the two weeks vacation and had to pay a crap load money for medical and dental. My savings rate was pathetic even though I got paid a higher wage than in Korea.

All this 'real job' stuff is basically just rather childish banter, nearly always initiated by men trying to convince themselves of their self worth through what they do for a living. In order to elevate their own endeavours they have to place what others do below them in any way they can. Money, usefulness, dignity, qualifications, whatever..If you think an individual could find himself a position that was more challenging, paid better, was more worthwhile etc. and you want to give them some advice, be specific and constructive about it. People can be very sensitive about what they do for a living too so tread carefully.

Last edited by edwardcatflap on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:36 am; edited 2 times in total
CaliUSA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nukeday wrote:
Yeah, aren't Europeans the ones chucking bananas at black footballers? Welcome to the 1950s, boys.

And Europeans also have a really difficult time accepting anyone who doesn't have socially and economically liberal views. I happen to have those views, but I'll typically play devil's advocate around them because they are extremely closed-minded regarding such topics.

I'm going to be awake all night, trying to puzzle this one out Smile
northway

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckylady wrote:
radcon wrote:

Have you ever been to NY, San Francisco, LA? Obviously not. You can get a variety of great food from many nations. I have been to Europe. Try getting decent Thai, Cuban, Salvadorean, Vietnamese food on the continent. Not gonna happen. You are just a naive American basher with no idea what you are talking about. Just because you envison that Mcdonalds is the only food in the US doesnt make it true.

not just the large cities - I've traveled extensively across rural areas of the U.S. and it is exceedingly rare that one cannot find a Chinese restaurant just about anywhere - large city or small - and increasingly other Asian restaurants, and of course *Mexican.*

rural areas in SE Asia you're lucky if you even find a restaurant. in Korea, as we all know, foreign restaurants are rare although they are growing in number - maybe a couple dozen now ? Wink

Seriously. I'm from a town of 1,100 people. Within a twenty minute drive there are four Chinese restaurants, an Indian place, Mexian, Puerto Rican, Japanese, and Italian. Extend that to thirty five minutes and you've got Korean, German, Thai, Greek, Tibetan, Lebanese, French, Vietnamese, and Argentinian. This is leaving out the upscale American places that are generally Mediterranean inspired. Point being, smaller American towns often have as much or more diversity of dining options as you find in Korea's most culinarily diverse locations. If you want real options in Korea, you best live in Seoul, and even then you're not going to have a lot more than you would in a lot of American college towns.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm going to be awake all night, trying to puzzle this one out

I think what he means is some 'Europeans', by this I presume he means people from the British Isles who speak English, get annoyed at him when he pretends to hold views that are against what they believe. I'd go along with this generally, I think a lot of vaguely left-wing liberals from the British isles, who believe in things like legalised drugs, benefits for all and no illegal wars against Middle Eastern countries can be a bit closed minded. They've probably never had the opportunity to meet someone who thinks everyone has the right to carry a gun and poor people should be left to die on the sidewalk if they don't have medical insuance before.
northway

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
I'm going to be awake all night, trying to puzzle this one out

I think what he means is some 'Europeans', by this I presume he means people from the British Isles who speak English, get annoyed at him when he pretends to hold views that are against what they believe. I'd go along with this generally, I think a lot of vaguely left-wing liberals from the British isles, who believe in things like legalised drugs, benefits for all and no illegal wars against Middle Eastern countries can be a bit closed minded. They've probably never had the opportunity to meet someone who thinks everyone has the right to carry a gun and poor people should be left to die on the sidewalk if they don't have medical insuance before.

This isn't really a uniquely European trait.
nukeday

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
Europeans I've met pretend to think they're open minded but they seem to be just as racist and shallow as the Americans they bash from my observations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, aren't Europeans the ones chucking bananas at black footballers? Welcome to the 1950s, boys.

And Europeans also have a really difficult time accepting anyone who doesn't have socially and economically liberal views. I happen to have those views, but I'll typically play devil's advocate around them because they are extremely closed-minded regarding such topics.

Can you colonials stop going about about Europeans as if they're from one country. I'm sure you're all intelligent enough to know Europe comprises vastly differing cultures, economies and views scattered over a huge area. In financial terms, you can go from from Moldova to Switzerland and in political extremes , you can go from flat out dictatorships to the most liberal systems in the world. Imagine if Euorpeans, as you call them, started talking about people from 'The Americas' and lumped in everyone from New York to Costa Rica.

Fair enough. I've met a lot of Eastern Europeans (especially Poles) who have some more varied social and political ideas. You're right, I mostly meant the Brits and western Europeans - especially the French - whom I've talked to.

Still, while a lot of Old Worlders may not lump everything together as "The Americas," they certainly do speak of the United States as though every city and state were the same. The total population of the US is about half that of Europe, mind you.
Adam Carolla

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
Europeans I've met pretend to think they're open minded but they seem to be just as racist and shallow as the Americans they bash from my observations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you colonials stop going about about Europeans as if they're from one country. I'm sure you're all intelligent enough to know Europe comprises vastly differing cultures, economies and views scattered over a huge area. In financial terms, you can go from from Moldova to Switzerland and in political extremes , you can go from flat out dictatorships to the most liberal systems in the world. Imagine if Euorpeans, as you call them, started talking about people from 'The Americas' and lumped in everyone from New York to Costa Rica.

Can you Europeans stop going on about Americans as if they're all from the same mold? I'm sure you're all intelligent enough to know that America comprises vastly differing cultures, socio-economic groups, and views scattered over a huge area. In financial terms, you can go from poverty stricken Mississippi to Wall Street and in political extremes, you can go from flat out conservative nutjobs in Texas and Montana to some of the most liberal cultures in the world. Imagine if "Americans" as you call them, started talking about people from "Europe" and lumped in everyone from Switzerland to Greece.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Can you Europeans stop going on about Americans as if they're all from the same mold? I'm sure you're all intelligent enough to know that America comprises vastly differing cultures, socio-economic groups, and views scattered over a huge area. In financial terms, you can go from poverty stricken Mississippi to Wall Street and in political extremes, you can go from flat out conservative nutjobs in Texas and Montana to some of the most liberal cultures in the world. Imagine if "Americans" as you call them, started talking about people from "Europe" and lumped in everyone from Switzerland to Greece.

You're absolutely right, it'd be ludicrous to talk about 'americans' having one particular view point.
Adam Carolla

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
You're absolutely right, it'd be ludicrous to talk about 'americans' having one particular view point.

Surely you can see the irony here.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

No, the US is a huge country, with very different laws, economies and variations of culture in its different regions. Yes of course there are aspects of cuture that bring it together but it would be much more difficult to generalize about the way it's people think or behave in the same way that it would be about, say Sweden or Greece. If you're referring to the way I used colonials on here (in a light-hearted way) I meant the people who posted the messages generalizing about Europeans, not knowing from which particular country they came from but guessing they weren't from Europe. Has that covered everything or is there some other irony you think I've missed?
Adam Carolla

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

If you're referring to the way I used colonials on here (in a light-hearted way) I meant the people who posted the messages generalizing about Europeans, not knowing from which particular country they came from but guessing they weren't from Europe. Has that covered everything or is there some other irony you think I've missed?

Responding to a blanket generalization with a blanket generalization was the irony I was referring to. Seems pretty obvious to me.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I tried to make clear, when I referred to 'you colonials' I meant specifically the people who posted on here about 'Europeans' .
Adam Carolla

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
As I tried to make clear, when I referred to 'you colonials' I meant specifically the people who posted on here about 'Europeans' .

In which case, cry me a river. There are roughly 100 to 1000 times as many posts here that generalize about "Americans" as there are generalizing about "Europeans." It's a non-issue.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In which case, cry me a river. There are roughly 100 to 1000 times as many posts here that generalize about "Americans" as there are generalizing about "Europeans."

Maybe because America is a single country, whereas Europe is 45?
Adam Carolla

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
In which case, cry me a river. There are roughly 100 to 1000 times as many posts here that generalize about "Americans" as there are generalizing about "Europeans."

Maybe because America is a single country, whereas Europe is 45?

Here's what's going to happen...I'm tired. I'm going to bed. In the morning, if I can be bothered, I'm going to destroy you, no-holds-barred fashion, because your opinion is literally one of the stupidest things I've ever read. Normally this kind of thing only gets under my skin when I'm super-tired and/or drunk. In your case I'll make an exception. You've been warned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: