Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Abducted and robbed in the Philippines; KEB bank card
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evanzinho

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Abducted and robbed in the Philippines; KEB bank card Reply with quote

I apologize if this is in the wrong thread, but I don't know where to put it.

To make a long story short, I left Korea on June 1 when my job was over and went to the Philippines on vacation. Last week, I was abducted and robbed by four armed men in Manila. They forced me to give my PIN numbers to my ATM cards (they said they would kill me if I didn't) so I did and they emptied out my KEB account. I have the purple global ATM card. I had about 2 million won in that account that I was using for my vacation. After the robbery I called KEB and told them to freeze my card, in case they had cloned it or something. The girl on the phone said there was nothing she could do regarding getting the money back. So, I came back to Korea this past Saturday and I checked the balance at the KEB branch at Incheon International airport and there was 43k won left. I explained to a teller there what happened and showed him the police report from the Philippines, as well as the correspondence I had with the U.S. embassy in Manila (since I had been kidnapped, the Manila police alerted the U.S. embassy). He gave me a printout of the unauthorized charges that show the time and date of each one. But, he said there was nothing he could do. He also kept asking me for my ARC, but I don't have one, I turned it in when I left Korea on the first of June.

So, now I'm back in the States. Does anyone have any idea what I can do about this? I don't plan on returning to Korea again (or the Phils, for that matter!). Is there anyway I can rectify this situation from here in the States? I have to say the KEB people were extremely unhelpful.

To be honest, I'm just happy to be alive after what happened. The police in Manila said I'm lucky they did not kill me. But I'd like to try to get the money back.

Thanks.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Abducted and robbed in the Philippines; KEB bank card Reply with quote

Evanzinho wrote:
I apologize if this is in the wrong thread, but I don't know where to put it.

To make a long story short, I left Korea on June 1 when my job was over and went to the Philippines on vacation. Last week, I was abducted and robbed by four armed men in Manila. They forced me to give my PIN numbers to my ATM cards (they said they would kill me if I didn't) so I did and they emptied out my KEB account. I have the purple global ATM card. I had about 2 million won in that account that I was using for my vacation. After the robbery I called KEB and told them to freeze my card, in case they had cloned it or something. The girl on the phone said there was nothing she could do regarding getting the money back. So, I came back to Korea this past Saturday and I checked the balance at the KEB branch at Incheon International airport and there was 43k won left. I explained to a teller there what happened and showed him the police report from the Philippines, as well as the correspondence I had with the U.S. embassy in Manila (since I had been kidnapped, the Manila police alerted the U.S. embassy). He gave me a printout of the unauthorized charges that show the time and date of each one. But, he said there was nothing he could do. He also kept asking me for my ARC, but I don't have one, I turned it in when I left Korea on the first of June.

So, now I'm back in the States. Does anyone have any idea what I can do about this? I don't plan on returning to Korea again (or the Phils, for that matter!). Is there anyway I can rectify this situation from here in the States? I have to say the KEB people were extremely unhelpful.

To be honest, I'm just happy to be alive after what happened. The police in Manila said I'm lucky they did not kill me. But I'd like to try to get the money back.

Thanks.

Under your cardholder agreement the bank is NOT responsible for your lost money (YOU gave the thief the PIN - effectively you signed the withdrawal).

Your ONLY hope is that the police in Manila catch the thief and recover your money (in all honesty there is no chance of that happening - even with their fingerprints and photos from the ATM machine - Manila police ARE that incompetent and/or corrupt).

Sorry, it is gone.

MANILA, Philippines�Mayor Alfredo Lim on Wednesday ordered the relief of the Manila Police District (MPD) Station 3 commander after some of his men allegedly kidnapped and extorted money from four Korean tourists on February 14.

MANILA, Feb 20, 2012 (AFP) - Philippine authorities have ordered the arrest of ten policemen accused of kidnapping

February 29, 2012, 1:13am
MANILA, Philippines � The Philippine National Police (PNP) said Tuesday that the suspect in the kidnap-slay of a female businesswoman whose decomposing body was found February 23 in Laguna has implicated three active policemen...

MANILA, Philippines - A Filipino-Chinese businessman who was kidnapped and released for ransom was stunned when he went to report the crime: His captors were on the police general's staff.

Manila police OIC accused of kidnapping Hong Kong drug suspects

... and the list goes on.

Evanzinho

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Abducted and robbed in the Philippines; KEB bank card Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:

Sorry, it is gone.

Well, thank you for the response. Like I said, I'm just happy to be alive after what happened; I like to think my life is worth more than two million Korean won!

The man at the U.S. embassy sent me a link to apply for victim compenstation from the state of California. It is a state government agency that assists people who have been victims of violent crimes abroad. That's really my only option at this point, since I had no travel insurance.

I just want everyone who has the KEB global card to know that there seems to be no daily withdrawl limit for this card; unlike my American ATM cards which have a $500 daily limit.

Again, thanks for the reply ttompatz.
JustinC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Abducted and robbed in the Philippines; KEB bank card Reply with quote

Evanzinho wrote:
Well, thank you for the response. Like I said, I'm just happy to be alive after what happened; I like to think my life is worth more than two million Korean won!

The man at the U.S. embassy sent me a link to apply for victim compenstation from the state of California. It is a state government agency that assists people who have been victims of violent crimes abroad. That's really my only option at this point, since I had no travel insurance.

I just want everyone who has the KEB global card to know that there seems to be no daily withdrawl limit for this card; unlike my American ATM cards which have a $500 daily limit.

Again, thanks for the reply ttompatz.

Good point! UK cards also have a daily limit - also about $500 if I remember correctly. All cards should be limited in my opinion. But as you say you've still got your life and 2 mill is bearable.
At least it wasn't much, much more.
passport220

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Abducted and robbed in the Philippines; KEB bank card Reply with quote

Evanzinho wrote:
...To make a long story short, I left Korea on June 1 when my job was over and went to the Philippines on vacation. Last week, I was abducted and robbed by four armed men in Manila...
As others have said, since these are cash transactions, you don't have the protections you would with a credit card or online transaction.

I am sorry to hear this happened to you, it sounds like a truly awful experience. As a traveler's warning, can you give some more details of how this happened to you? What part of Manila where you? Where the men total strangers or did they some how do something to gain your trust, etc.
Zackback

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It's more fun in the Philippines"???

http://itsmorefuninthephilippines.com/
matthews_world

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably after 2 a.m. in an unlit alley?

Nothing good ever happens after 2 a.m.

Depending on the circumstance, I might have done a number on them.

Reminds self to acquire protection upon landing in the Phillipines.
Yaya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that this happened to you and well, Manila is not high on most people's travel itineraries.

I'm also wondering at what time and where you were kidnapped. I stick around Makati when I go the Phils, though I've hit Malate and Pasig at times.

And yes, perhaps the Manila police who told you that you were lucky to be alive might be spending your money as I write this.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
I'm also wondering at what time and where you were kidnapped. I stick around Makati when I go the Phils, though I've hit Malate and Pasig at times.

Yup, it's Makati and the 'global cities' for me as well.
minos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a KEB branch in manila that maybe could have helped.

I thought the purple didn't work for international use since it's only a debit card? Only the black and blue ones....but I left korean 3 months ago.

I feel your pain alittle.....right now some korean jacked some cash from my customers and holed up in a warehouse in the shady chinatown district of manila. Trying to get justice is hard as hell since he's a foreigner on a tourist visa despite illegal activity.
chungbukdo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about going to PI and want to know how to keep myself safe.

Was there anything in your dress or manner that you would change in retrospect, OP? Any advice to offer us? Or do you think it was mainly your skin color that resulted in being targeted?
Zackback

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm living here now. This is what I do:
Dress casual...nothing flashy.
Never have that confused or touristy look on your face.
Carry money/wallet in front pocket.
I am cool with people here, direct when I need to be. I don't look down on them nor do I kowtow to 'em.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chungbukdo wrote:

Was there anything in your dress or manner that you would change in retrospect, OP? Any advice to offer us? Or do you think it was mainly your skin color that resulted in being targeted?

1) Avoid Manila.
2) Avoid Manila
and most of all
3) Avoid Manila unless you have connections there.

KingMomo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
chungbukdo wrote:

1) Avoid Manila.
2) Avoid Manila
and most of all
3) Avoid Manila unless you have connections there.

^ this
and don't be a dips피+
chungbukdo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is Davao? I heard they have a lower crime rate.

I got my credit card stolen in Thailand this winter. Everything turned out fine. The guy apparently spent $550 at Big C. Nobody kidnapped me. And my credit card company did not charge me.

Catholic countries like kidnapping?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: