Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bringing food to Incheon Airport

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plato's republic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Bringing food to Incheon Airport Reply with quote

Is it possible to bring food through immigration at Incheon airport? By this I mean hard-boiled eggs and some homemade bread.
What with everything having to be wrapped up in clear plastic bags post-9/11, would this likely present a problem? Has anyone done this before?
JustinC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken sandwiches through security - it's liquid they're more concerned with. I don't know if food is allowed or I was just lucky but the worst thing they'll do is chuck your sarnie in the bin.
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think as long as it's not seeds or anything containing seeds or any kind of meat you are okay.

side story: i had around 100usd's worth of the most amazing beef jerky sent to me from kentucky one time and customs took every single last bit of it. it must have been one of the most delicious seizures they'd ever had. moral of the story? don't ship beef jerky to yourself. especially if it's delicious.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing food to Incheon Airport Reply with quote

plato's republic wrote:
Is it possible to bring food through immigration at Incheon airport? By this I mean hard-boiled eggs and some homemade bread.
What with everything having to be wrapped up in clear plastic bags post-9/11, would this likely present a problem? Has anyone done this before?

Can you get through security with food = yes.
Can you eat it in the boarding lounge or on the aircraft = yes.
Can you take it through customs in the destination country = NOT if it is meat, fresh or unprocessed fruits or veg.

CAVEATS:
No if it is a liquid or a gel (a bowl of jello won't make it).

northway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishfullthinkng wrote:
i think as long as it's not seeds or anything containing seeds or any kind of meat you are okay.

side story: i had around 100usd's worth of the most amazing beef jerky sent to me from kentucky one time and customs took every single last bit of it. it must have been one of the most delicious seizures they'd ever had. moral of the story? don't ship beef jerky to yourself. especially if it's delicious.

I had this with sausage. My folks were quite surprised when they o it back in the mal six weeks later (in a new box).
Modernist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I had this with sausage. My folks were quite surprised when they o it back in the mal six weeks later (in a new box).

I just got my second package with delicious Midwest-grade sausage sticks from my father this week. He is a GENIUS packer, and they were nice and sealed up so there was no odor for the dogs to 'get'. Try doing that and I bet you can get it through successfully. It's the smells, not the X-rays, that give meat and such away; mask those well enough and it should make it. Use one of the flat-rate boxes, add a bunch of other non-food things inside like clothes or papers or something, AND, of course, make certain it's a personal package marked as a gift and NOT sent from any sort of business [they always check business packages more thoroughly for things like imported iPads or whatever].
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modernist wrote:
Quote:

I just got my second package with delicious Midwest-grade sausage sticks from my father this week. He is a GENIUS packer, and they were nice and sealed up so there was no odor for the dogs to 'get'. Try doing that and I bet you can get it through successfully. It's the smells, not the X-rays, that give meat and such away; mask those well enough and it should make it. Use one of the flat-rate boxes, add a bunch of other non-food things inside like clothes or papers or something, AND, of course, make certain it's a personal package marked as a gift and NOT sent from any sort of business [they always check business packages more thoroughly for things like imported iPads or whatever].

hmm. i had my mother ship it and the box did contain a bunch of other non-food items. and they were sealed in their original bags. perhaps next time i will make sure they are sealed in a few layers along with some pine fresh air fresheners... perhaps it tipped them off because there was such a large quantity of it. either way most likely i will just have a friend serve as a beef jerky mule the next time they come into korea. i can't believe i just typed that. go korea. Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: