Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

proof of onward travel, ferry ticket enough?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wings

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: proof of onward travel, ferry ticket enough? Reply with quote

I am heading to Korea in 2 days and my visa confirmation number hasn't come in yet, it's not a big deal as I don't start work for a few more weeks, and my school has agreed to pay for my visa run as the delay is due to a mistake they made. but not having the visa means I'll have to have proof of onward travel. Is a ticket for the ferry from Busan to Fukuoka enough?

I have been looking at fully refundable tickets, but it seems they all come with a clause that you will lose quite a bit of money when you cancel. Does anyone have any leads for a ticket that is actually 100% refundable?

Do they actually check the ticket in their system, or do they just glance at the e-ticket printout? I have a trip booked at Christmas, but the date is too far away to help me out right now since I'm only allowed in Korea for 3 months as a tourist. If I changed the date on that ticket would they catch it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: proof of onward travel, ferry ticket enough? Reply with quote

wings wrote:
I am heading to Korea in 2 days and my visa confirmation number hasn't come in yet, it's not a big deal as I don't start work for a few more weeks, and my school has agreed to pay for my visa run as the delay is due to a mistake they made. but not having the visa means I'll have to have proof of onward travel. Is a ticket for the ferry from Busan to Fukuoka enough?

I have been looking at fully refundable tickets, but it seems they all come with a clause that you will lose quite a bit of money when you cancel. Does anyone have any leads for a ticket that is actually 100% refundable?

Do they actually check the ticket in their system, or do they just glance at the e-ticket printout? I have a trip booked at Christmas, but the date is too far away to help me out right now since I'm only allowed in Korea for 3 months as a tourist. If I changed the date on that ticket would they catch it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

The ferry ticket works as proof of onward travel.

Full fare tickets with Korean Air only have a 30k won service charge if refunded. If you pay by credit card the refund will be credited back in 3-5 working days. If you pay by cash however it takes 30-60 days for a refund.

Fudging the ticket would work if they were non-affiliated airlines.
It wouldn't work if they are affiliated since it would show and they can verify it (or not as the case may be).

Emark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recommend anyone do this.

Twice now I have had "proof of onward travel" in the form of a printed email with the itinerary on it. Both times, every customs official just looks at it and says good enough. No checking or computer work, nothing.

It could be possible to fabricate your onward travel documents. I doubt anyone will be the wiser.

Again, I don't suggest anyone do this. I'm just putting it out there that I don't think there is a serious and stringent check or measure to secure that people are actually travelling onward.

Happy travels.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP I would recommend doing what you're thinking of doing. You might have to have it to board your airline and you don't know what the immigration official is going to say.
gordo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I going to need proof of onward travel if I come to Korea on a tourist visa?? I had asked my friend who had done this in the past and he had indicated he had no such issues.

I am also going to do a Visa run about 10-15 days after arriving but haven't booked a flight because I am not sure what country I want to do the Visa run in or how long it will be before I start a job.

Is it in my best interest to purchase a ticket in advance of arriving?? Anyone else with experience?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gordo wrote:
Am I going to need proof of onward travel if I come to Korea on a tourist visa?? I had asked my friend who had done this in the past and he had indicated he had no such issues.

I am also going to do a Visa run about 10-15 days after arriving but haven't booked a flight because I am not sure what country I want to do the Visa run in or how long it will be before I start a job.

Is it in my best interest to purchase a ticket in advance of arriving?? Anyone else with experience?

Actual tourist visa = no.
Visa waiver entry on arrival stamp = probably (doubly so if you are flying directly from the states).

wings

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Just an update, I ended up booking an actual ticket to Thailand for my first vacation. My husband and I were asked when we would be leaving Korea and they went over the ticket before giving us our boarding passes for our flight to Korea.

I'm sure the ferry ticket would have been enough, but I was too nervous about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: