Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to renounce Korean nationality WITHIN Korea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenlander1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: How to renounce Korean nationality WITHIN Korea? Reply with quote

Hi All,
Is there any way to renounce Korean nationality in Korea? I am US born of Korean parents, 39 US age, and was registered in family registry when I was 2.

I am trying to get F4 visa, but they tell me I currently have dual citizenship and say I need to renounce Korean nationality.

The problem is, they said I have to physically travel to a Korean consulate in my home country, i.e. US to renounce.

I'm thinking there must be a way around this.

Thanks!
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm very, very confused why you would want to do this. korea now recognizes dual citizenships for some countries as you've already found out, the usa being one of them. having two passports is always a plus. if you are an american citizen, the usa only recognizes usa citizenships, even if you possess another citizenship.

an f4 visa is not as good as having a korean citizenship... in fact, there are people on f4's who are trying to get their korean citizenships back since korea now allows them to.

i'm not sure if you've already served your military time but if you have it'd be a bit crazy to renounce your korean citizenship.
greenlander1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tax
greenlander1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I've been negotiating with the Korean Immigration Office here in Seoul, the one in Ohmokgyo, and I am pretty frustrated with them by now.

They keep telling me I have to renounce Korean citizenship in US.

Strange thing is, I have had initial contact with a lawyer and they said my Korean citizenship has already expired due to previous law stating I had to choose between citizenships as I was born dual US/ Korean citizen. Even stranger, someone in the Korean Immigration Office told me the same thing. When I got to the office, they told me it was a mistake and the person on the phone must have been mistaken.

Anyhow, the lawyer and the US consulate in Los Angeles both tell me there is no reason for me to renounce my Korean citizenship (if it exists) in US.

I keep hearing stories about American born gyopos who have received F4's here in Seoul and would like to figure this out

Sad
sml7285

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishfullthinkng wrote:
i'm very, very confused why you would want to do this. korea now recognizes dual citizenships for some countries as you've already found out, the usa being one of them. having two passports is always a plus. if you are an american citizen, the usa only recognizes usa citizenships, even if you possess another citizenship.

an f4 visa is not as good as having a korean citizenship... in fact, there are people on f4's who are trying to get their korean citizenships back since korea now allows them to.

i'm not sure if you've already served your military time but if you have it'd be a bit crazy to renounce your korean citizenship.

+1.

Is the tax rate for F4 holders ridiculously lower than the rate for ROK citizens or something? Either way, you still have to pay taxes to the US.
northway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sml7285 wrote:
wishfullthinkng wrote:

+1.

Is the tax rate for F4 holders ridiculously lower than the rate for ROK citizens or something? Either way, you still have to pay taxes to the US.

Very few teachers make enough that they would have to pay anything.
greenlander1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh my income bracket is high enough to be negatively affected by Korean tax. The favorable tax is part of reason why I came here.
greenlander1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm going to make another visit to Immigration office Monday, this time armed with Korean Nationality Act in hand, prior to 2009-2011 amendments. Talked to a lawyer and they said my nationality should have expired because previously I needed to choose before age of 22 between two nationalities, if I didn't, my Korean nationality would be automatically eliminated.

It is truly amazing how disjointed things are in that office and in gov't sector in general (actually everywhere in Korea!) You ask a question and can get potentially several different answers.

Hope this works...worst case scenario my Dad will take a trip to Korean consulate in the US and file for me. Not sure how long it will take for that though...
pingoo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: renouncing korean nationality Reply with quote

greenlander1 wrote:
So I'm going to make another visit to Immigration office Monday, this time armed with Korean Nationality Act in hand, prior to 2009-2011 amendments. Talked to a lawyer and they said my nationality should have expired because previously I needed to choose before age of 22 between two nationalities, if I didn't, my Korean nationality would be automatically eliminated.

It is truly amazing how disjointed things are in that office and in gov't sector in general (actually everywhere in Korea!) You ask a question and can get potentially several different answers.

Hope this works...worst case scenario my Dad will take a trip to Korean consulate in the US and file for me. Not sure how long it will take for that though...

i hope it went ok.
i went through the rigamarole twice~ once in the US and once when i got here to korea after i came in with my f-4 which took months of back and forth correspondence and trying to get family registry paperwork from korean to do all of these things.

it IS very different for korean american men who were on the registry. my brother is in the same position as you~ the males have it harder bc of the military service thing. unfortunately, it's up to the immigration officer that helps you or files your paperwork and their mood to how easily you can process things.

if you bring all of the paperwork with you~ you should be able to do this. otherwise, power of attorney with your local consulate back home works. also snail mail. i did mine all through snail mail in the US anyways.

good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: