Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New E-2 Guidelines????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 76, 77, 78  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YTMND

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoterik wrote:
Would a background check from my home country suffice?

I have yet to see immigration accept a criminal background check from another country instead of the teacher's home country.

When in doubt, don't ask us, ask the recruiter, school, and immigration.
Whistleblower

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question regarding E2: I have a three year Degree as well as a one year Masters and I would like to know if I can apply for an E2 with my Masters or whether Korean authorities require my documents from my three year Degree.

It would be easier to get all my documents for my E2 with my Masters and I thought my MA would supersede my BA. Just curious as this is the first time I am applying for E2 Visa.
YTMND

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whistleblower wrote:
Quick question regarding E2: I have a three year Degree as well as a one year Masters and I would like to know if I can apply for an E2 with my Masters or whether Korean authorities require my documents from my three year Degree.

It would be easier to get all my documents for my E2 with my Masters and I thought my MA would supersede my BA. Just curious as this is the first time I am applying for E2 Visa.

Having MA or BA isn't really a factor unless you are talking pay issues. Schools usually want a student right out of a 4 year college and willing to do whatever they want at the lowest price. Having an MA and expecting more pay may hinder your chances of getting a job. It's all about the money.

So, if you find a school that wants more qualifications, an MA then would be valued more. If you aren't anxious to come to Korea, then wait it out, and maybe a school like that will appear. I have yet to see that, they are cutting middle school and high school teachers in Seoul, if that should give you any idea. They don't care about qualifications. They have Koreans who supposedly can teach "English in English" (whatever that means).

Dead horse now, ok, next issue. The 3 year degree thing.

If it is shown as 3 years, obviously they won't like it. If it just says "Degree earned", then this means if you say YES from the get go, accepting the salary they offer then yes it might have an elusive advantage because you have a "degree" and an "MA" (ooh la la).

My suggestion, in the short run, take what you can. In the long run, wait until someone recognizes your "intellect" and wants to pay more.

Good luck. (recap: It's all about the money, and they don't care about qualifications).
Justsurfin12

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... dumb question about the "notarized diploma".

My university uses a printing service for transcripts diplomas... meaning that it's not really an "original" signature, just a printed one. Now, a notary is only supposed to notarize a signature, verifying that it's an orignal signature.

Sooooo... how exactly does this work?
YTMND

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sooooo... how exactly does this work?

Why don't you take it in and get it notarized? Seems like the question should instead be directed between the people notarizing and the university, not immigration or the school you want to work at.

Please post back here with the outcome of what they say.
Justsurfin12

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem is... I'm here in ROK...

Been here 3 years... got lucky in that I'm on a 2 year contract so immi issued me a 2 year E-2 visa (go figure.... but not complaining) during that weird period when they changed the law but then didn't enforce it because the Korean agency to verify academics freaked out when they got so many requests.

Anyway... if I were back in the States, I'd hand walk things through. Right now, I've got about 6 months until end of contract/visa so starting the process to get everything taken care of.
YTMND

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am not following you correctly, but it doesn't matter if you are in Korea or back in your home country. The same steps are required. It might be more difficult because you are in Korea, but you still need to get the documents necessary. Maybe someone in your home country can help to get it notarized properly.

By the way, I thought we were now supposed to make copies and not send originals.
Dyslexic Libearian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone! Newbie here with a couple of questions.

I plan on applying for two FBI background checks. I am currently located in WA, in the US.

1) Do I need to fill out two applications and acquire two copies of my fingerprints for the application process, or do I send in one of each and request two copies?

2) Is there a state and a federal FBI background check? If so, are there specific E-2 requirements to have one or the other? I currently assume that I need to do a federal background check, have it notarized by them and then have it apostilled by the federal secretary of state, because I live in Washington and they do not apostille federal documents.

3) I heard a rumor that the FBI can both notarize and apostille the background check when you apply. Is this true, or is this a rumor? This would definitely help expedite the process, but I am not sure if it is even feasible.

Any help with these questions would be appreciated. Thanks.
nile19

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just got this from a recruiter:
"2 NOTARIZED copies of your university DEGREEs that has the ORIGINALAPOSTILLE paper attached.

*DO NOT SEND us your ORIGINAL DEGREE*

**DO NOT DETACH THE APOSTILLE**

***DO NOT send us a photocopy of the APOSTILLE***

****STATE of FEDERAL APOSTILLE will be accepted by the Korean immigration office*****"

Do you think that should say "state OR federal apostille will be accepted"?
For University Degrees do we just need an apostille from our state? Or do we need the federal DOS apostille like the FBI Background Check?
PatrickBateman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone give me a complete update on the E-2 process? I haven't had to do it for for a bit.

From what I've read, they're requiring two copies of things?

A step by step breakdown would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Trikeboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I have a e2 visa that expires at the end of February when my contract ends at the same time. I am planning to go home for a month and return to Korea, in a new job, starting in April. I am assuming that I need to get all the documents again for the visa process however before I go paying for stuff, do I need to get all the paper work together or is there a way to extend what I currently have.

Thanks
YTMND

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trikeboy wrote:
Hi there, I have a e2 visa that expires at the end of February when my contract ends at the same time. I am planning to go home for a month and return to Korea, in a new job, starting in April. I am assuming that I need to get all the documents again for the visa process however before I go paying for stuff, do I need to get all the paper work together or is there a way to extend what I currently have.

Thanks

That is up to your next school to decide. They could start the paperwork, 2 weeks isn't much, but immigration would decide if 1 month is ok. If not, you would need to extend possibly.

This might become an issue when you take into account severance issues. You need to complete a year. Remember that.
thejourneyislong

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.footprintsrecruiting.com/visa-information-to-teach-in-korea/143-apostilles-united-kingdom

Apparently UK citizens need to have their degree and crc check apostilled now?
Can anybody confirm this? I got an E2 visa in 2011, but I just had them notarized they were not apostilled.
xihtug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do visas get denied a lot? What happens if they do?

I'm worried that I filled out my paperwork incorrectly - I had the NOA document with a visa issuance number, but did not put it on my application. I went back and asked the girl working the desk and she informed me that EPIK doesn't need to put that on the application at the top anyway.

I hope they don't "eat" my contract and my NOA if they deny me a visa over this Sad
okiedokie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thejourneyislong wrote:
http://www.footprintsrecruiting.com/visa-information-to-teach-in-korea/143-apostilles-united-kingdom

Apparently UK citizens need to have their degree and crc check apostilled now?
Can anybody confirm this? I got an E2 visa in 2011, but I just had them notarized they were not apostilled.

Yes, you do need that. I had to get both apostilled for my last E2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 76, 77, 78  Next
Page 77 of 78

Jump to: